Author Topic: Cannon loading or churning butter ?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Cannon loading or churning butter ?
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
This Video clip is scary, on many levels cannonmn might want to add it to his with a warning as to what not to do!

1) BUBBA  moves cannon barrel in to upward position and stands directly over it ramming home a BP charge. at least 23 strokes ramming it home,

2) jams a wad of news of new paper down tube rams 16 times  you would think BUBBA was churning butter!

3) jams wet wad of new paper down tube rams 20 times  repeats this process 4 more times with wet wadding!  :o

4) while in the process of ramming this all home he answers his cell phone and takes a call while continuing to ram the wadding!

5) depresses muzzle and fires with fuse cannon recoils barrel bucks, cannon home made looks to be very thin wall with breech the
     same diameter as the muzzle. this thing looks like a bomb more than a cannon.

6) back to the wet wadding even in a well built cannon this practice should be avoided the hydraulic pressures can cause
    damage to the tube and those around it. also if you are not sure of your backstop wet projectile newsprint can cause
     injury or damage. 

7) a young boy about the age of parmamoon's son is standing very close to the cannon learning all the unsafe loading practices
    from BUBBA.

Here is the Video of the next Darwin award winner:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZiBp93OrY&feature=related

You know now that I think of it I will take this opportunity to apologize for calling him BUBBA this is insensitive to all other Bubba's
I must think up a new name to call him what comes to mind I can't print..

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cannon loading or churning butter ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »

You know now that I think of it I will take this opportunity to apologize for calling him BUBBA this is insensitive to all other Bubba's
I must think up a new name to call him what comes to mind I can't print..

Here's a suggestion, Allen.

Nimrod
nim·rod (nmrd)
n.
1. also Nimrod A hunter.
2. Informal: A person regarded as silly, foolish, or stupid

Hey, at least this uninformed cannoneer got a good workout.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:07 PM »
Hey Bubba, hold Nimrods beer. He's busy churning butter and after he fires his cannon, we're going out on the
lake to collect any floating fish for dinner. He'll probably need some bandaids for his blisters. What a Marroooon!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »
Nimrod might not work either, as historically, he was a great grandson of Noah, and founded a nation. He was a powerful king, and a mighty hunter. This guy is none of the above! Bubba might work till something better comes up, like "The Fourth Stooge", or maybe just a guy who does a one and a half gainer in the shallow end of the gene pool! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »
I really don't see an issue.  I mean grandma was right there supervising the entire loading and firing of the piece.

As for me...stick with Bubba...it fits.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »
The real issue here is that there were NO comments left on Utube about this slightly under-loaded bomb.  Not one.  :'(
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:05:58 AM »
did you hear the sound when he was beating the barrel the first seconds ,
 sound as a very thin walled pipe to me .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:24:01 AM »
Maybe it is a form of neurological disorder with repetitive motion. It certainly was anticlimactic. I suspect that all of that lake water found its way to dampen the powder charge.

rc MD
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:43:57 AM »
 They were on a river.

"Paddle faster... I hear dueling banjos..."
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 06:51:59 AM »
This one was on the related vids in Kabar's YouTube post; are these people actually firing some kind of projectile down the middle of a residential street?
Just the sound track alone is worth the price of a ticket. :D

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvhB_jPo554&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvhB_jPo554&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »
Truly, I think "IDIOT" is a better word to describe these hillbillies...

As one, generally spoken of as "Bubba" - I can truly say that 99% make the rest of us look bad.  It's probably good that the newspaper was wet, because 1) there's no telling how much and what type of powder he had in there - good that it was "wetted down", and 2) had the newspaper been dry with that much friction back and forth it would have probably caught on fire, killed him and possibly burned down his trailer... 

Definition of idiot:

–noun
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I like definition #2 better.

NitroSteel

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »
Isn't this last one just blowing a watermelon up with wad shot from a lawn ornament cannon?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
Isn't this last one just blowing a watermelon up with wad shot from a lawn ornament cannon?

Not sure about the cannons pedigree but I see bits of wet paper here and there and some on the street

down range, like I said wet wads can do some damage. I have seen it go through a 1" thick pine board 10 to 15 ft from the muzzle.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »
They were on a river.

Oh!  Is lake water wetter than river water or vise versa? :-\

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
Ive been told that a wet newspapper wadding actually can penetrate both sides of a 55 gallon steel barrel if its close enough
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
You can get a better look at the cannon on this vid, and I think I'll go along with the assessment that this is one of those imported Chinese cast iron ornaments that are intended to adorn front porches.

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0q0obGq2Fac&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0q0obGq2Fac&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
They were on a river.

Oh!  Is lake water wetter than river water or vise versa? :-\

I take it you've never seen the movie Deliverance.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
No I haven't. My interests are not normally in popular culture.

We do not have TV and we rarely view newer movies. My reading is limited to historical subjects. 

Last night I watched "Waterloo" for the umteenth time. I like seeing cannons.   
"Master and Commander" is a regular with me too, as is "Henry V". BoomJ can quote from the play. 

There are alot of truly amazing men contributing to this forum. They boggle the mind. I'm sure many are familiar with that film.  It just isn't my cup of tea.

Do you know of any good movies with period artillery? I have "Last of the Mohicans". I cheer for Magua.

rc

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »
Hey Dom, who knows, maybe surveying is this guy's profession, and he's used to pounding stakes into the ground this way. ;)  I like the way he cleared a channel for the fuze, with an ice (ferrous) pick and a hammer, even though the cannon was loaded with loose powder. :D

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »
At least he said, "Fire in the Whole"!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »
I'd go with and stick with definition #2, also...in capitol letters! IDIOT! That is a real gong ringer....remember "The Gong Show"? Wonder if they will video his final mistake, which shouldn't be too long in coming, at the rate he is going! Then they can say..."here is where he went wrong....oh, wait, the whole thing is "wrong"! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
I believe the reason they were using heavy, wet newspaper was to turn the paper into an actual projectile.

They were actually shooting at their inbred relatives across the lake, who were obviously firing back (and at a much higher rate of fire I might add).

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 02:43:28 AM »
No I haven't. My interests are not normally in popular culture.

We do not have TV and we rarely view newer movies. My reading is limited to historical subjects. 

Last night I watched "Waterloo" for the umteenth time. I like seeing cannons.   
"Master and Commander" is a regular with me too, as is "Henry V". BoomJ can quote from the play. 

There are alot of truly amazing men contributing to this forum. They boggle the mind. I'm sure many are familiar with that film.  It just isn't my cup of tea.

Do you know of any good movies with period artillery? I have "Last of the Mohicans". I cheer for Magua.

rc

We have no TV at the moment either. Never had cable and didn't get a converter box. Don't really miss it as we have a ton of tapes and DVD's.

I'm more of a WWI/II buff, so don't have any suggestions for earlier period movies.

Wait - Napoleon Dynamite. There ya go...

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Theory...

The first vid, the cannon is most likely loaded with Pyrodex.

Hench the need for such a large amount of tight wadding. Pyrodex does not go bang like that (and you'll notice that the report is very un-BP-like) unless it encounters significant resistance. Significant as in near patched ball pressures.

Yes, Bubba does take it to the extreme. But then anything worth doing is worth grossly overdoing when cameras (and most likely alcohol) are involved.

As I said, just a theory.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »
Heck I'm the newest beginner in here and even I can shake my head at all these videos. I saw 2 of the 3 before joining the forum here. I wondered about the guy with wifey and daughter watching, hammering away with what looks like a machined/stepped DELRIN rod. Not familiar with BP I wondered if he could hammer too hard, too much, build heat and blow his hands off or kill himself with the DELRIN rod skewering him like a jellyfish? His cannon did give an impressive report. The first video, I hadn't seen. What are people thinking. Who thinks it is alright to fire a cannon down the middle of the neighborhood street? I'm sure none of the neighbors enjoyed that. The blast probably scared everyone half to death. And then there's the mess. I'm sure some of the watermelon ended up in neighbor yards or on their cars. Clampets! What is wrong with those people! They give cannon enthusiasts a bad name for sure. The guy in first video, doing all the pounding... what a dilbert. I think he was more interested in "making the scene" and "being cool" than firing the cannon. That explains why he took so many plunges, why so many wads... only way to make the scene is to be on the scene, right?  I left a comment "all that for that?" but added appreciation that they were celebrating July 4th.  I think everyone here should leave a comment too. Why not? Let's use opportunities like this to join forces and be heard! Protect our image and propagate good practices, not whacked out garbage like those buffoons are doing!

Offline oyvind

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »
Hi.
I am new here on the forum.
But security is important and when I see the video clip then I fear that there will be serious accidents.
I believe it is important that such forum sheds light on how to treat black gunpowder.
Are afraid there will be strict restrictions if we do not do it.

Mvh