Author Topic: help with choice of hand gun for ccw  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Armand Boivin

• Trade Count: (0)
help with choice of hand gun for ccw
« on: September 25, 2003, 02:27:18 PM »
Good Morning,
  I am in the process of looking for a very accurate, reliable, sturdy gun for ccw. So far I am looking at 2 different guns. I do understand that final test is the feel of the gun in my hand, so right now I am just looking for information. The guns I am looking at right now are the CZ P-01 and comparable glock (possibly the 19). any recommendations in this area will be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has some other good recommendations, that would be cool as well. For your reference $500 is my limit for purchase. I know I can get the P-01 for $439, not sure about the Glock.

Thanks for all the information,

Armand Boivin

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 03:01:35 PM »
i would tell yo uto look at the springfield xd series of guns i have been more than impressed by them! and they cost about 399.00 awesome gun i have no compalaints

Offline Laremm

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 06:16:26 AM »
The majority of police are going to the .40 over the 9mm. The gun size will be about the same. I own a Glock 22 in .40 and love it, but I would def look at the Springfield, less money and a great gun.

BTW the Springfield offers a nice light that goes under the barrel that is very gun friendly, take a look at it.

Offline Armand Boivin

update
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 10:40:11 AM »
Alright, I just got back from the gun shop and here is what I felt. My number one choice is a tie between the springfield xd (40 or 9mm) and the CZ P-01. They both felt great in my hands, although I did try the CZ 75BD as well and it didn't fit my hand the same. The double action trigger pull on the P01 was very heavy as well as with the P99. The springfield trigger felt great. I am leaning more toward the springfield at this point for all the safety feature. I especially like the grip safety and the loaded indicator. My next one in line was the walther P99. Glock didn't even make the cut. I have smaller hands and the glock just did not feel right in my hand. If I go with the 9MM then I have a choice to make... but if I go with the 40 my choice disappears :D  What are your thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks,
Armand Boivin

PS. anyone here live in the united states near New hampshire that might have either the P-01 or the XD that wouldn't mind going shooting and allow me to feel what they shoot like??

Offline Ken Adkins

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 12:05:53 PM »
Consider the Kahr P9 or P40.  Nice and light (which means you're more likely to really carry it.  And dead nuts reliable.  Another plus is DAO design.
Ken

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 03:51:41 AM »
this reply is really more for fun than helpful :oops:  :roll: but maybe we could get one of ever flavor an ask tha feller in the way of our shootin what he likes best--i'm thinkin we ought ta be accomodatin if'n we could.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 04:11:25 AM »
I have noticed that almost everytime some one askes about this topic the same answers are given.  Don't get me wrong I am not knocking anyone, their gun, or their opinion.  I just never hear anything about H&K or SIG.  Mostly the answers are GLOCK and Springfield...WHY?  Are these guns not the same quality?  I can understand the price point but if you shop around can't you find a good used H&K or SIG for around that price?  

Maybe I am a bit biased...I learned to shoot on a SIG 229(I think) in .40 and now carry a H&K USP compact .40.  

I am not trying to start a debate I am just wondering.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 08:00:25 AM »
ghostZ,
Easy answer, name recognition. While the H&K, and for sure the Sig, are quality arms, everyone is familar with the name "Glock", and to a lesser degree, "Springfield". Of course it doesn't hurt Glock sales any that they are seen in about 85% of police holsters! Not to mention the number of things that rhyne with "Glock" in rap songs.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GP

What to buy!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 07:50:17 AM »
My advice is (Buy what you like) Guns are like women, everyone likes something a little different. For carry guns I have A Glocks 23, A Sigs P220, A S&W 649 and a kimber 45, I like autos but the fact is, I shoot much better with a revolver than I do with an auto. I carry my S&W model 649 (357) bodygard almost all of the time. But that is me!  What you like may not be what you can handle the best. If you are limited as to what you can buy now, see if you can find a way to try different guns.  :D  :D I know at most of the ranges I have been to, most guys will be only to happy to let you try out there guns. Hope this might be of help.[/quote][/list]

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 12:33:12 AM »
i have been looking at tha kimber-an now tha dan wesson. i like the weight in their platform and they both offer a external/tacticial extractor that seems very interesting.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 01:25:35 AM »
William,
If there is a weakness in the 1911 platform, the extractor is it! If they are not properly heat treated and tuned they can cause problems. The biggest problem is the lack of understanding of how to tune them. It's a simple process once you learn how, but does require a certain touch. I have had some of my 1911s require tuning after as little as 12/15 thousand rounds! The external, spring loaded extractor should be an improvement? Well at least it'll simplify and reduce production costs!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,