Author Topic: S&W Sigma For home defense  (Read 1341 times)

Offline aglass1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
S&W Sigma For home defense
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »
I recently bought a Smith and wesson sigma series(the new ones) in 40 S&W. I have only put about 50 rounds through the pistol and i like everything about the gun. It is very accurate and it just feels right in my hand. I was wondering if some of yall had more experience with the gun. Would it be reliable enough to keep around the house?

Offline Lawndart

Re: S&W Sigma For home defense
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »
I don't care for them.  But the local sheriffs office carries them, and as far as I know, they have been satisfied.

Offline KBEN

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »
I have a pair of them, they shoot well.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:57:17 AM »
Don't own any Smith autos, but if yours is reliable, it will work as well as any pistol. It's up to you to decide if it's reliable enough. 
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:08:54 AM »
Put another 150 or so rounds threw it and mix in some SD ammo.   If it functions without a hitch then you've got yourself a good home defense pistol.

Then don't just toss it in your sock drawer and forget about it.  Then take it to the range at least once a month and put a couple of magazines full threw it to stay familiar with it.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:30:07 AM »
+1 for what Brett said.
I have a sigma in 9mm and once it was broke in and I was used to the gun.  Has never failed to shoot or function for me.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
My sig. other carries a sigma 380 and loves it.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
  My old partner carried a .40 Sigma for a while without complaint.

Offline double R

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 04:23:41 AM »
i own  two -a40 and a 9mm. as long as they are fed want they like they never miss a beat.

Offline MAJORSDAD

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
They're not bad if that's all you've got.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »
Not my first choice, BUT, we all have our own personal opinions that are not gonna do you any good. You have a gun and:
1. YOU like it (and that's what's important),
2. you shoot it accurately (also important), and
3. it feels good in your hand (important biggie #3).

That sounds like a winning combination to me.
Just practice, practice, practice.
And enjoy shoohtin'.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline IronMan

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
I have one in 9mm that I ccw. I really like it. When new the trigger is a bit rough but with a few hundred rounds it becomes much smoother. As I said it is my primary ccw. I carry it every day. If I didnt trust it I wouldn't carry it.

Rex
Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence.

Offline JJ79

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
I recently bought a Smith and wesson sigma series(the new ones) in 40 S&W. I have only put about 50 rounds through the pistol and i like everything about the gun. It is very accurate and it just feels right in my hand. I was wondering if some of yall had more experience with the gun. Would it be reliable enough to keep around the house?

only way to find out is to shoot it a bunch....sounds like a good problem to have...   ;)

Offline tigmaned

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »
the more i shoot my 9mm sigma the more i like it! never failed me even with my lead reloads!! got it used in like new shape for $250 what a steal!!
what are you guys using for a holster?? i may even get into IPDA with it so i will need a holster.

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:19 PM »
Boy am I going to get in trouble for this statement. S&W Sigma is a great firearm. Better grip angle than glock. When they first came out Massachusetts EPO (game wardens) bought them and loved them. Then Glock sued S&W over patten rip off or something and S&W had to change the design somewhat. This is when the problems started. Since then I believe the patten expired and S&W went back to the original design and they again work great. Either way S&W customer support is awesome and if you ever did have a problem they would fix it for free. As far as 9mm goes, the new ammo out there makes it a good self defense caliber. If you can get a speer or federal fold out chart with different caliber expansion and penitration you will see how well the 9mm does compared to 357 sig & 40 S&W. Good luck with you new gun and keep shootin!

Offline federali

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
As I recall, the Sigma wasn't well received when it first came out. At first, S&W invested too much time in badmouthing the revolutionary Glock design, then went and copied it. All that matters really is that your is a reliable pistol and that you like it. I would not want to be on the business end of a .40 regardless of the brand.