Author Topic: More Mary Rose carriage photos for RC to study  (Read 761 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
More Mary Rose carriage photos for RC to study
« on: July 16, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »
Did you notice the similarities between the Vasa's carriages and the Mary Rose carriage? The Vasa's carriages had progressed to having the axles attached under the carriage bed, instead of ontop of them. Today I found this M/R site that I hadn't seen before, and thought you might be interested.

Artistry in Bronze and Wood
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: More Mary Rose carriage photos for RC to study
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
Thanks John!  I put them in my folio.  In reality, I can't find any similarities?  The Wasa's look like standard brutes, while the Mary Rose's have a certain panache; la fleur des pois ;)

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:39:33 PM »
here is the original museum reconstruction drawing for the Vasa carriage
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:45:51 PM »
the second piece of the drawing
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
The Wasa's look like standard brutes, while the Mary Rose's have a certain panache; la fleur des pois ;)

Oh, I agree with you on your observations that the Mary Rose carriage almost has the quality of an experimental sculpture, (which in a way it was - the craftsmen were travelling into territory that hadn't been explored before) and the artisans of the time seemed to possess an almost magical admixture of craft, art, and alchemy. The Mary Rose sank in 1545, the Vasa in 1628, so in just 83 years the naval gun carriage had evolved from a graceful experimental form to a utilitarian (though I think, still having some grace) object. The Vasa carriages have the axles attached under the bed instead of on top of it, the cheeks are solid slabs of wood, the cheeks and bed are fastened by iron straps, the cap squares are hinged so the barrel can be removed, the front of the carriage from cheek to cheek is narrower than the rear of the carriage, and the rear truck is smaller in diameter than the front. The Vasa carriage is well on its way to becoming the naval cannon carriage that would remain in use up until the mid 1800's.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:44:37 AM »
the top photo there is one of the original carriages except for the hardware,
the bottom photo is a museum reproduction .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry