Author Topic: are 500 rounds a lot?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: are 500 rounds a lot?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 02:49:16 AM »
The tech for Para told me you had to get 500 rounds thru one for initial break in.  He said if someone calls about a possible issue - that is his first question - have you shot 500 rounds through it yet.   

Great way for the manufacturer to resolve a warranty issue. It costs them nothing, and they know that it will take a large percentage of gun owners 5yrs
to put that many rounds through their pistol. By then it's stuffed in a drawer somewhere, or long gone. Issue resolved!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »
I have no way of verifying this statement  -but I bet that of all--all as in all--guns out there 97% don't have 500 rounds thru them and of those I bet 97% don't have a box thru them.
That's my story and i'm stickin too it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »
William, you are likely closer to the average round count than I am. Sadly--------------
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:07 AM »
I have looked at a multitude of handguns over the years and have not found ONE that was wore out from shooting.
Some that were in sad shape because of poor storing/keeping.
Most look like they were hardly fired---and that is because they were not.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 01:39:52 PM »
YES!!  Just wait till you get to the checkout counter with 500 rounds at a buck plus each then tell me how insignificant 500 rnds are!!   ;D

Looking at an XD, the man claims it has 500 rounds through it. When I think about ten boxes of ammo, it seams like a lot. But are 500 rnds a lot? or of no consequence?
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
YES!!  Just wait till you get to the checkout counter with 500 rounds at a buck plus each then tell me how insignificant 500 rnds are!!   ;D

Looking at an XD, the man claims it has 500 rounds through it. When I think about ten boxes of ammo, it seams like a lot. But are 500 rnds a lot? or of no consequence?
But no one thinks twice about buying a Brick (500) of 22.
Center fire is the same thing only more expensive.  I used to buy 1,000 rounds at a time and would have ammo the better part of a year for the different rifles.
I always had at least 5X that in shotgun ammo with reloads and factory.  It was easy to just load 100 rounds a night till I ran out of a componet.
HECK I have put 500 rounds out of a shotgun in a single day.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
This is why I have to cast and reload.  I understand about the shotgun, it doesn't take long at all to go through a box, I've only tried skeet a few time but I LOVE trap!  Don't get to shoot like I use to, schedule change has cut me out of the big night at the local but still can get there some Saturday's and Sunday's.
No, as far as the gun is concerned, 500 rounds is nothing but a drop in the bucket of the life of a good gun.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline RB Rooson

• Contributor
  • "If you come for mine, be sure to bring yours!"
    • http://www.ptca.00go.com
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
My practise sessions are 300-400 rounds 3 times a week with the same two pistols.  I shoot competition twice a month and shoot practise just to keep the 'rythmn' going.  Have not wore out a gun yet in 12 years.  500 rounds is just a "do I really want this gun?" when first bought.....
SASS #16974 - Duelist
SBSS # 1195 (O.G.B.) LXXIX
BOLD # 352

"Everyday I pray to be the man that my dog thinks I am!"

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 05:59:56 AM »
My son is a Certified Executive Bodyguard and went through extensive training. He carries two XDs a .45 & 9mm. In two days of training he put over 2,000 rounds through each of them without cleaning and without a single jam! You can talk about high dollar firearms all you want but that right there says it all to me. 500 rounds through many firearms might actually be a lot but for an XD? Heck, 500 rounds through an XD is just getting it warmed up for buiseness!

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 01:05:30 AM »
I own an old Colt 1911 that I personally put over 50,000 rounds through it since I bought it in 1976.  I also have a Ruger security Six that has close to 100,000 rounds through it.  The only repairs I have done to the colt is to replace the ejector twice and the extractor one time and the recoil spring twice.  The ruger has only been cleaned and lubed.  Both are still tight and fully functional.  In fact my Colt did not get reliable till I had like 800 rounds through it.