Author Topic: load data for 44 mag for carbine needed  (Read 630 times)

Offline LGustin

• Trade Count: (100)
  • Contributor
load data for 44 mag for carbine needed
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
I am looking for a load recipe for a Ruger 44 Carbine.  I will be loading Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets.  I have several powders to choose from.  My books list data for handguns but I figured a slower powder might be a better choice for the carbine.  These will be hunting loads for deer, hogs and bear.  What do you recommend??  I understand about starting lite and working up to max charge.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  THANKS!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: load data for 44 mag for carbine needed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
The Hornady manual has rifle data listing N105, N110, AA9, 2400, H110/W296, H4227 and IMR4227 for the 240gr XTP. Hodgdon list rifle data online also, but for the 240gr Nosler.

Tim

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
I have always used v-N110.  No problems, never had a reason to try anything else.  2400 is another good option and was what I was looking for but all they had was N110 so I got it instead and use it in .357mag as well.  It is cleaner burning than other pistol powders I have tried although none of them have been used in the .44 mag.  Tim listed several but have not tried but the one.  I don't think a slower powder will do much for you here, H110 is still top on velocity (If I remember right) but I do understand the thought.  Other with more experience can give you more detail as to why  or they may totally disagree and that is fine too as I am learning new stuff all the time.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:36:52 PM »
In virtually every case where it has been tested, the powder that gave the highest velocity in a rifle barrel also did so in a pistol-length barrel.  The reverse is true as well.  Straight-walled or bottlenecked, same thing for all.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 01:21:31 AM »
What books do you have? I have Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Lyman and they all list 44 Magnum rifle loads. Look in the rifle section. As has been stated by Lone Star - generally what gives the best velocity in a handgun will do so in a rifle too. Good Luck and Good Shooting.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »
My books list data for handguns but I figured a slower powder might be a better choice for the carbine.

Then you figured WRONG. It is a myth perpetuated by some magazine writers who should know better but apparently don't. There is no different data for rifles as opposed to handguns using the same cartridge. The only difference is that from rifles you gain more velocity with same set of components than from the shorter handgun barrels. Use the handgun data for the powder you have available that is suitable. You'll likely gain a minimum of 300 fps from the longer rifle barrel. Just as in handguns you'll get your best results from the same powders. For the best combination of accuracy and velocity I recommend W296/H110 and 2400.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:55:56 AM »
Here's a vote for IMR 4227, great accuracy and plenty of power.  A bit less muzzle blast than the H110/Win 296 powders.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:59:53 AM »
I've shot H-110, 2400 & IMR 4227 powders in my Ruger 44 carbines. IMR 4227 has always shot the best with Hornady 240 JHP & now XTP's. This combo has put the venison on the table for me.

Offline LGustin

• Trade Count: (100)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:27:04 AM »
Sounds like I am good to go.  I will try I4227 and 2400.  I know I have plenty of 2400 and can pick up some 4227.  I guess this just goes to show you cant believe everything you read, I sure thought a slower powder in longer barrel would out perform a faster powder.  Thanks everyone, I will load up some 2400 today and try it out if it is not what I want I will pick up some 4227.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »
Personally I dont do allot with the 44, but I do with the 45Colt.   
  I load it up to near equlivent ballistics and use H110/296 the most. Lil Gun is getting more and more popular is is a good choice as well. Old stand bys like the afore mentioned 4227 weather IMR or Hodgden is another good choice. 2400 is another "GO TOO" powder that has stood the test of time. Every gun has its own likes and dislikes. Your best bet is to try a couple powder/bullet/primer combos and see what your gun likes.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.