Author Topic: Summer yote hunting ?  (Read 558 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Summer yote hunting ?
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
Have any of you guys done any summer yote calling ? it seems that mostly it's done in the winter  around here unless theres a problem animal that needs put down .

The reason I ask is that I was wondering what works and what doesn't . I know that the boys do it out west alot but have seen much of it in the eastern part of the country .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Summer yote hunting ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:16:17 AM »
 :) 32, After June 1 until about mid Aug. most of the coyote hunting here slows down to almost a stand still. They are raising pups, and seem very difficult to lure in at that time. I used to hang out with one of the predator control guys, and in the summer if he had to deal with problem coyote he called only at very first light, or very late in the day. A couple times we had coyotes killing sheep in the summer, the only call that worked was a pup in distress. BUT it only worked once on these dogs. >:( Hunting and calling will pickup in mid. Aug. when the pups start moving out on their own. Sept. and Oct. are great, except that our bird and antelope season open, once the antelope opens, coyote hunting takes a dive,'cause every antelope hunter takes a pot shot at every coyote he sees. >:( :( :) ;)

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »
I tried calling a couple of weeks ago and nothing was interested.  I plan to try again.

A couple of years ago, whilst mowing at night, a coyote came out and was running back and forth just in front of the distant reaches of the tractor headlights.  A farmer friend told me coyotes come out when he is mowing as well so I believe they have learned that a mowing tractor means running rodents.  I haven't mowed at night this year but if I do I have a Ruger Mark III with Crimson Trace I'll be carrying.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:41:37 AM »
Was talking with a friend this morn. on 2 meters and he said he and his son killed 2 on 1 stand last week. He said they used and old casett player and plaied it as loud as it would go.

Offline wormbobskey

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
I would try a fawn in distress this time of year. The fawns are still small enough that a single coyote can bring one down. The parents are still feeding their hungry pups and mice and voles aren't going to be enough. I've seen coyotes running dear within the last few weeks so I figured they are after the fawns. Worm
OSTA
Lanums Animal Damage Control & Repair
We don't do bugs