Author Topic: Lyman Lubricator Question  (Read 1090 times)

Offline blpenn66502

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman Lubricator Question
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:10:21 AM »
I am planning on buying one in the near future.  Looking at the range of models they offered over the years; 45, 450 and now the 4500, is there anything that distinguishes one above the others?  I'm looking to save some coin and buy used, so a follow on question is there anything to be alert for/ask to ensure I don't pick one up with issues?  Thx, Brian

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Lyman Lubricator Question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »
I picked up a used 450 about a year ago and the only issue I've had was that it didn't come with a heater and the lube would not flow like it should . Fixed that with a $12 blow dryer .  ;D

Now it works just fine , and I do like the fact that the RCBS sizer dies & top punch's will fit it too .

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
Do yourself a favor and buy an RCBS instead. When the Lyman breaks and it is when NOT IF you'll pay thru the nose for parts to fix it. If you break something on the RCBS they'll fix it for free.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
As for a heater for them (I have a lyman 450 and RCBS ) I took a piece of sheet metal big enough to fit under them and with enough room to set a iron on. Sheet metal I had and picked up the iron at the thrift store for $2.00. Works great during the winter.

Gun Runner

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:43 AM »
I have used, and presently own, one each of Lyman and RCBS lube/sizers.

They seem to operate about the same, but I have always liked Lyman's ratchet on the lube screw MUCH better then the slidding handle on the RCBS.

It probably won't be long with the RCBS, until your handle is in the wrong place and gets bent. It can happen

Within the last few months, I had some sort of issue with the RCBS sizer, sent it in and they returned me a brand new one.

Well, it ain't new any more as I drilled down the top of the lube rod, inserted a short length of properly sized allen wrench and brazed it into place.

Now I can use the same wratchet wrench on both the Lyman and the RCBS.

Problem solved, and the only real issue I had with the RCBS sizer is now a non-issue.

Keep em coming!

CDOC 

300 Winmag

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:19:31 PM »
HUH?  ???

I have two of the RCBS and they both came with the same exact rachet handle as did the Lyman.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »
WOW, GB.

I made mention of how I liked the ratchet on the Lyman when I sent the RCBS sizer back to RCBS, but the new one which they - RCBS - returned still had the sliding bar with the little plastic knobs on each end just like the one I returned.

I was trying to recall what the issue was for sending the sizer back to RCBS, and finally remembered the problem

The plunger which screws down to apply pressure to the lube, had always "eaten" the "O" ring seals.

This has been a problem since it was new, so I finally - years later - sent RCBS an "E" questioning the situation.

They ask me to send in the sizer, and a short time later a new one arrived.

Not sure what they found if anything, but when they replied to the "E" they indicated the parts might have been incorrectly sized, causing the sizer to chew up the "O" rings.

Thanks and Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »
Howdy,
Since I use either Alox, SPG, or Wonderlube the heater option doesn't concern me. I have two Lyman 450's and two Lyman 45's. The dies and punches work in them both. The main difference is that the 45's don't require fifteen minutes of rethreading that infernal die nut without cross-threading. Or the O-ring. The die and punch are held in place with set-screws. I prefer working with my 45's.

Bitterroot

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »
The main difference is that the 45's don't require fifteen minutes of rethreading that infernal die nut without cross-threading.

My cordless drill takes care of that in no time!  And, i've never "cross threaded" one, so not sure why you had that problem?

DM

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
I've used my cordless drill to wind down the pressure nut on the lube reservoir, but the sizer die nut is another issue.
That I have fought with on my Lyman 450 - the previous owner broke off a tiny piece and it makes it difficult to start the thread when I change dies. Cross-threading becomes very easy at that point.
BUT, it was in a box of other stuff at a yard sale and the whole box was under $25, so if I have to pay for a bunch of parts, it's still cheaper than the best EBAY price that I have seen on an RCBS.

I can live with this decision.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:17:30 AM »
if your going with a lyman go with the newest model. the biggest improvement they made in them is the sealed bottom. The older lymans are notorious for blowing out the o-ring in the bottom. If you havent experience this you just havent used yours enough yet. Problem is too that they use an odd sized o-ring that you about have to get from them.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:15:42 AM »
If you havent experience this you just havent used yours enough yet.

Could be, but i've run umpteenthousand bullets through mine, since i bought it in the 70's.  I haven't had an 0 ring problem yet...  Could it be that those that use softer lube, have less problems with that?

DM

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
If you havent experience this you just havent used yours enough yet.

Could be, but i've run umpteenthousand bullets through mine, since i bought it in the 70's.  I haven't had an 0 ring problem yet...  Could it be that those that use softer lube, have less problems with that?

DM

I've replaced the bottom O-ring twice and the sliding seal O-rings once - got those from NAPA. Chewed them up running my cordless drill too fast. Think the bottom seal gave out from "lack of understanding" and trying to run too much pressure in lieu of a little temperature. Just my theory of what happened using my unit.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 07:11:46 AM »
HUH?  ???

I have two of the RCBS and they both came with the same exact rachet handle as did the Lyman.

The original RCBS LAM had a ratchet handle, the newer LAM 2 got rid of the ratchet, and uses a sliding handle like what is on a vice. Personally I prefer the sliding handle. The ratchet is nice and is always in the same place, but I am forever putting it in the wrong place and cannot seem to find it when I want it. billy

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
The PROPER place is rat there where it belongs. Mine never comes off except when I add more lube.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
bottom line is the best advice i can give you is to save a bit longer and buy a star sizer. there the cadilacs of sizers. Tough and much faster then any of the otheres.
blue lives matter

Offline budman46

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 05:46:41 AM »
blpenn66502,

i side with those recommending rcbs over lyman...the rcbs is more rugged and sizing dies/top punches for both are interchangeable.

i agree lloyd that the star unit is the cadillac, however since i discovered lee's push-thru sizers and liquid alox, i retired all the others. for my money, there's no cramping from cranking down on a lubing handle and i can buy 2 or more lee bullet kits for the price of one of the other's die sets.

i currently size and lube 8 rifle and pistol calibers and find the liquid alox/lee sizer combo perform well for me at velocities up to 1800+ fps with very good accuracy and no leading.

i can  also "custom size" lee dies larger with a drill and crocus cloth.

budman

budman

ignorance is fixable...