Author Topic: Garys Sabot  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Garys Sabot
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:53:14 AM »
After some safety tips about this particular lathe, Gary turned and formed (shown) the sabot's ball recess for his steel solid shot.  The form tool Mike made with relief like a spade drill W/O the point.

Gary stacked the finished sabots up quickly, only about two minutes process time each, about 30 in an hour.

How did these sabots work?

What are the lenght are they?  Is that critical?

I bought a router bit and chucked it up in my tail stock and it works good.  I bought the bits 2/$18 on Ebay. To find them query. #218 VIPER OLDHAM 1/2"RADIUS ROUNDNOSE ROUTER BIT.

The one inch dowel I have is neither one inch or round.  Some years ago i picked up a tail stock center for working wood on the metal lathe.  Never used it before. My Dowel however will be one inch and round soon.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Garys Sabot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:45 AM »
They work great 1.720 iirc 1.25 long  ;D. mike made a spade drill tool for the radius no sweat .

they are made from poplar . turn a square to the dia. saw them up into 1.25 lenghts

i made these to fit the i.d. of the tube . they have some windage and are actually larger than the steel balls so the ball never touches the barrel .

from what i can tell they make it all more uniform leaving the muzzle no 'last bouce' thing

GB's  :(......nothing i've tried makes them fly true the sabot helps but not enough to waste them on GB's

i would like to get them to shoot well to 100 yds. the ones in the photos are the ones coming to Montana .

they will go down range in front of 500 grs . we figured out that to recreat a napolean cannon charge(SB)

1/3 scale bag is 650 gr.
gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »
Thanks, Gary.

I got a hold of Tracy and he suggested 2/3 caliber. 

Here's my short run production set up!

The dowel was put through the head stock and pulled out to touch the router bit. The router bit was fed into the end of the dowel and cut the concave.

The parting tool was then used to cut of the sabot.  Bit of a learning curve about correct feed, slow and easy-best

I will have get a gouge out and clean the protrusion left by the center relief of the router bit. 

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:26:01 AM »
they will go down range in front of 500 grs .
gary

Is that 500 grs. of Cannon grade?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
Do you have a better picture of the spade drill bit? How wide is it and how deep do you sink it? Thankyou.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »
No I dont have a better pic , but I can take one soon .

It is a shank with a shovel (spade) shaped end , then relieve for positive rake on the nose . Like a drill bit .

Gary

ETA EX49er I tried to send you an IM , BUT it didnt take ....?

I M me your email addy .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
ETA EX49er I tried to send you an IM , BUT it didnt take ....?
I M me your email addy .
Gary

Yeah, other people have a hard time sending messages to me,too. The home email addy works best.

I found some 1 3/4 dowel today. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make the spade bit part.
Thanks much,
Mark.

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 02:30:31 AM »
Look for a grooving or round nose router bit.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 02:33:44 AM »
I love lathe work!  Good job!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »
Zulu, do you know where he can get a 7/8 radius roundnose router bit?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:57 AM »
ex49er your email addy is not avalible .

For a bit you could buy a spade type drill and grind down the pointy part to where the full width is now the 'point or leading edge . Then grind that to the radius you want put a rake on one half to cut ,and a opposite rake on the other half so you have a round nose bit that looks like a shovel in profile with just little edges on the leading rounded radius . 

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »
Gary, email addy is in my profile, just click on the little person under where is says "posts" on the very left of each reply.

Gary, pm sent.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »
Actually you have you email add hidden, or another icon would show under you Avatar to send email.  You need to modify your profile so it isn't hidden---if you wish it not to be hidden.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 05:12:40 AM »
Thanks DD! Profile changed. I've looked around and the largest roundnose router bit I can find so far is only 5/8". Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 05:32:41 AM »
See you now have a little under your name, isn't it cute!  ;D

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
I don't know about the 7/8" bit.  But there must be a hundred places to try for it.  I will look around my catalogs.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 09:27:43 PM »
I did an internet search on Dogpile on router bits and found a 7/8" roundnose router bit at: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 04:52:39 AM »
Here is the spade drill tool that Mike made . it is simple and works great !

He turn some mild steel then slotted it on the mill . then a flat piece of flat 01 ground to shape and sharpened .

Also a photo after two days worth of laminating and turning squares into round sabot stock !

next is drilling the radius and cut off .

(Btw when I wrote 2 days that is true but I only work short days :) )

That is 72" of shorthorn sabot  ;) ,minus the cut off ends . I'm running a big herd thru this time ...Yaaa Git Along Little Doggies , er Arggghhhgg  8)

But Mike is making me go shooting out on the lone parrie today .....to sight in his newest improvment to his rifle .

I'm going to put Smee thru his paces ,draw up some loading tables , air busts , rates of fire that sort of thing . It's not easy living like this ,but somehow I get by one day at a time .  ;D

eta darn it i forgot to get my pics in ! 'just a minuite' ::)

Mike made spade drill .

Gary made 72 " of shorthorn stock and a mess !

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »
It cuts wood great . Mike has made lots of little tools and cutters ....I'll call him and ask him . he whipped that whole thing in abount 15 mins flat ,no kidding I thought he was running up and down the stairs and slamming tool draws LOOKING for the lost tool .

He was making the thing ,and showed it to me ...I thought ..well good..lets go use it , I asked him why It was warm .........? :-[ ::) :o :'(  

Shooting was fun ,but no Smee shakedown yet as the wind was not at all happy with us !

We did shoot some nice groups at 200 yards though as we own identical model 700rem .308win ,his is right handed and mine is left ....book ends .

He won the contest as he shot an honest to goodness .....sitting down ? ...  8) .730 c/c @200yds ,90% cross wind at @12-15 mph -:o He was a happy clam as he had just rebedded his rifle .

My best was a wild 1.5"@ 200  :-[ , his handloads are very good .  

gary

back to the salt mine tomorrow  8)

Mike said he didnt think it would work too good on steel but maybe for alum and brass molds .

I cant see why it wouldnt if it was really beefed up much thicker shank to avoid chatter and probably need to have a the upgrade blade bit tip welded in place . I'm sure Mike could do it .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »

back to the salt mine tomorrow

I may be wheezing and hacking, but holy horse excrement!!  Just who are you attempting to swindle with such a statement??  What salt mine; where is it??  I thought you were landed gentry all these months!  And, now that I am feeling well enough to check up on you, hows about bringing that 1.5 inch group down here for a little run across the Optical Comparator??  No water marks on the paper are there?  No brown spots where you were experimenting with the heat from a light bulb to shrink the paper a bit are there?  Sorry, of course not.  The old habits of raising teenagers are hard to overcome.  It was always Trust and verify, trust and verify, over and over and over.  It worked too; they are both trustworthy.  And so are you.  I know that!!  Just pulling your leg Gary.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 03:04:43 AM »
As 'gentry' , I have roots to 'someland' in Denmark , you are correct as usual .

Tracy, I understand, I will exzplian Nobility and it's 'jargon' to yourself at some point ,if not spelling , we 'have' people to do that task (they have been ill for some time now).

"Gentry", is a bit crass and really doesnt cover it all  8) Are you looking for work ?  ;) Or do you know any other
overwinded school teacher types that could use some help ...er or a hand up ..... I'm just asking . ;D

I am sending you to Denmark as my envoy , thats adjutent to you . Courrier if you prefer ,possibly, maybe 'runalong' .

It is your task to ratchett out of the curreny monharcy the location and extent of 'Garalds  Estates and Cannon Ranch', so that the rightfull owner (speaking providentialy) and his assorted  ......hang arounders ,will have a comfy little place to call home .

If you don't mine your airs ,you Mr. Kuntz you will find part of your uniform adorned with a pink feather.
Working in the salt mine !

Miners dont really care for overwinded school tearchers types wearing pink feathers in their salt mine .....no ,not too much .  

Minding your airs would be easy ,much easier than minding your ....rear  ???,after the miners get thru expressing there graditude in one way or another ! No offence to the Dept. of Miners (Denmark Div.)

Hummm a Coat of Arms....? hummmm.....? :D   Do you think it would be 'too much' to add Rex Magnus to nome de gaurre .

Honours Requested , Gary

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 04:50:02 AM »
I did an internet search on Dogpile on router bits and found a 7/8" roundnose router bit at: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/
Here is the bit list Round nose router bit list 

I got my bit from Ebay, and used it in the lathe.  You should be able to make a fixture to do to make sabots on the drill press with a router bit.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Here is the bit list Round nose router bit list  

I got my bit from Ebay,
You were lucky to find those bits on eBay. Oldham was bought out by Black & Decker. Here is what they used to make:
 http://www.oldham-usa.com/DBScripts/RouterBits/Grooving/Roundnose.asp

Looks like they manufactured all kinds of things that would have been helpful for cannon makers and shooterz.

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »
That MLCS website has a lot of stuff also. I am going to add it to the cannon list

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
I'm going to need some time to work on an adequate response!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
My 7/8" bit arrived in the mail today. I've got an idea on how to make a fixture to hold the dowel for making the sabot.
I'll give it a try tomorry.

Free shipping from mlcswoodworking is another incentive to doing business with them again.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »
aaaaaaa common sense prevails.........DD got his on ebay.........if you guys at Seacoast didn't spend so much time on leisure pursuits..........swanning off into the hinterland at every opportunity.......maybe you could think about producing some of your obviously ' fit for purpose ' bits and selling them to a ready market..........there's a profit in it.........people on here would appreciate it.........and with no playmates maybe the gremlin would get down to some work.............you know.....making bronze........artsy fartsy designing.........maintenance on tools and equipment, not everybody wants to hear about the exploits of the rich and famous. 
 Or does the trials and tribulations of your fellow cannoneers not reach your ivory towers ? Some of us are still working with a budget.........you remember.......the little people.........polite people would say DD is well known for his thrift...........personally I think it's more.......short arms --------deep pockets.And thanks DD for putting me on to those wheel drawings from Hobby's........got them in mail today...damn good , gives you all you need to know.........now, where was I ?  oooooo aye........there's more to " home made " than just saving money, I don't need one of those bits........but I'm sure some guys out there would really appreciate it............... :P
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
get a 7/8 radius roundnose router bit?

DD, did you mean a 1 3/4" bit? 7/8 was kinda small.

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
You have to watch your dimensional references....the bit I referenced was a 7/8 inch radius bit. MLC Woodworking sells their bits by the diameter.

Zulu, do you know where he can get a 7/8 radius roundnose router bit?