Author Topic: beginner please help!!  (Read 1526 times)

Offline lil_hunter12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
beginner please help!!
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
I am a beginner that would like to begin reloading for my .308 and possibly my 7.62x39. does anyone have any begginners advice as to equipment powders and other stuff that is needed? thanks for any help i can get.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: beginner please help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »
You will get a bunch of responses, and many will not totally agree.  What I think everyone will agree on, is buy a good reloading manual, by Lee, Lyman or any reputable company and read a bit before you jump in.  Used equipment can often be had on some of the auction sites or here on Graybeard in the classifieds.  The equipment is easy, powder and primers much harder right now.  There are several powders that you could use dependent on bullet selection.  Varget is one of many that you could use in both those calibers.  Bullet selection may depend on twist rate, length of the barrel, and your intended purpose.

I have Lee, RCBS, and Lyman equipment, and like them all.  Knowledge will be your most important tool, and you can get that from books and forums like this.  Read a bit first.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:02:24 PM »
i would like to duplicate the remington corelokt ballistics if at all possible. that is my goal i considered getting the little lee loader from cabelas that is i think 22 dollars

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »
For $22 that would have to be the classic loader.  They are fine, if you just want to make a few rounds of ammo.  Also be aware that since it neck sizes only, you'll probably only be able to load brass that has been fired in the gun that you intend to reload for.  That is to say if you have two .308s, you'll need to keep the brass from each rifle separate, as well as the reloaded ammo, as each will be formed to that particular rifles chamber.  Gather all the info you can, and get answers to all your question before you start reloading, it will save you much frustration, money and time.  Good Luck, JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
I am an avid reloader but I must admit, the two cartridges you mentioned are among the least expensive to purchase over the counter, which translates to the minimum amount you can save via reloading. 

Don't let me stop you.  Go for it.  You've already gotten some good advice.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
Find primers before you invest in equipment yet.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
in my area they are 2 of the 4 most popular calibers so the price has been driven out of sight for them. as for cases i have several hundred round of each i will save cases. i have only 1 .308 and 1 7.62x39. thanks for the info guys. i appreciate it.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:39:53 PM »
What type of firearms are these cartridges?

If I had to start over again today I would but Hornady equipment they give away free bullets for there items.
http://www.hornady.com/get_loaded.php

This is the best time to start reloading, great hobby and huge savings from factory ammo.  I would start with buying the Lyman "Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition" or similar literature.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=217655

The 308 Winchester is the cheap to reload.  Yes, research your load you want to use and find the primers and powder before you buy equipment, they are hard to find.

You can go here for some load data.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

yooper77

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:57:58 PM »
The little Lee Reloader C style press , while not the best thing on the market is still a serviceable press that will do you  until you really make up your mind if this is something that you'll want to stick with or not. You can then get the Lee die sets for each caliber that you need.

I have one mounted here in my Man-Cave that my son got in some sort of promotion maybe 15 years ago that I still use to size some bullets with.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Grumulkin

• http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »
i would like to duplicate the remington corelokt ballistics if at all possible. that is my goal i considered getting the little lee loader from cabelas that is i think 22 dollars

Not to rain on your parade, but don't try to "duplicate" the ballistics on anything.  Your goal should be to produce the most accurate ammunition possible in your gun.  In order to really duplicate ballistics you would at the least have to use Core Lokt bullets and you would have to have a chronograph to ensure your cartridges and factory cartridges produced the same muzzle velocity.  You would be looking at a significant investment which, when you're talking about buying a $22 Lee Loader, isn't what I think your goal is.

I started my reloading career with a Lee Loader unsupervised by adults on the kitchen table when I was about 16; I think it's a good way to start.  In addition to the Lee Loader, you should have some way to measure your cases to be sure they aren't too long and a case trimmer for when they get too long.  Also, read a reloading manual or two or three.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:34:13 AM »
the .308 is a converted mauser the 7.62x39 is an sks. the remington corelokt is an extremely accurate load in my rifle. myself and everyone i know has always had luck with remington corelokt bullets soi wanted to bein with those bullets i could speed them up or slow them down whatever i need to do to make them more accurate. currently im getting 2" groups at 100 yards open sighted from a good rest with the remington ammo.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »
I like Hornady InterLock over the Remington Core-Lokt bullets.  I find and buy them at usually the same price or cheaper.  When I do find Remington Core-Lokt bullets on clearance I buy them up.  Any soft nosed bullet you select will serve you well.

Your 308 Winchester, takes .308 caliber bullets

Your 7.62x39 Russian, takes .310, .311 to .312 caliber bullets.  Some rifles are made to use .308 caliber bullets, make sure you know what bullets your rifle takes.  You might have to slug your barrel in order to determine this size.

Also 7.62x39 Russian brass can be small or large rifle primers check them out.  I am sure you know this, but do not attempt to reuse steel or aluminum cases from your 7.62x39 Russian.

What ever equipment you start with, start with the minimum load and work up slowly in order to find the most accurate load, and never exceed maximum load data.

You will be most happy to start with a simple cast iron “O’ press like the rock chucker or similar.

yooper77

Offline H666

• Avid Poster
  • Greylag and Pinkfooted goose in north Iceland
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »
I've seen some good shots come with Vihtavuori powders in a Ruger M77 Mark II Frontier.  If you go to http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=851 , you will find a downloadable brochure.  I printed one out, It's not as thorough as a storebought reloading manual though.
I sport a hefty 11-87 for my benefit as a proud waterfowler......

Offline Grumulkin

• http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »
the .308 is a converted mauser the 7.62x39 is an sks. the remington corelokt is an extremely accurate load in my rifle. myself and everyone i know has always had luck with remington corelokt bullets soi wanted to bein with those bullets i could speed them up or slow them down whatever i need to do to make them more accurate. currently im getting 2" groups at 100 yards open sighted from a good rest with the remington ammo.

As I said, it's not realistic to "duplicate" another load with the minimal amount of equipment you're buying.  I've found IMR 4064 with 165 and 168 grain bullets to be quite accurate in several 308 Winchesters.  You need to start at the lower range of the suggested loads and work up in 0.5 to 1 grain increments to see which load gives optimal accuracy; that means that in addition to your Lee Loader you'll also need a powder scale.  If IMR 4064 isn't available, Varget would be another good powder to try.

I can't help you much with the 7.62X39 since it has been years since I loaded for one.  An SKS will probably take 0.311 caliber bullets rather than .308 caliber bullets.  You might also consider mil spec primers to prevent slam fires.

Years ago, I had my son load up some cheap bulk Winchester bullets I got from MidwayUSA for the SKS and, if I remember correctly, we used IMR 4198 but I can't be sure of that.  Anyway, I shot a 5 shot group off the bench with that load out of the SKS with iron sights and got a group of about 1.5 inches; I was pretty amazed.

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
The Lee Classic handloader neck sizes only. Doubt if ammo reloaded for the SKS on one would chamber.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
i would love to go with a large press to begin with but as i am only a security officer i cant afford much i thought id start reloading only for the .308 and use the lee reloader then save up and get the better stuff. thanks for the replies i intend to try to order some things this coming week maybe as you guys suggested like powder and primers. thanks for the info

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
 At this stage of the game you need to be reading instruction books. Get the "ABC's of Reloading", "Cartridges of the World", and a reloading manual from the manufacturers.

If money is tight, then check your local library. They have 'em!
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:47:17 AM »
i never even thought about the library ill check with them today and see what i can come up with. thanks guys

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:37 AM »
 Check to see if they have "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith. This book is out of print, but it is a goldmine of information. You will probably have to get it through an inter-library loan (ILL). The librarians at the information desk can do that for you.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 04:05:58 AM »
ill check to see what they have. around the area i'm from there may be 2 or 3 reloaders around so the library may not have anything. but im going to try.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
Hunter

Check these 2 links , it has a ton of useful info for you to read and it will be very helpful .

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,99824.0.html

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,134906.0.html

Both are at the top of this forum .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »
so i checked the library and they didnt have anything at all about reloading and they said they probably couldnt get any books. they are a very small library. and thanks for the links i never even considered looking at the links at the top of the page.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
i fuond one book at the local library. it was the 1994 edition of handloaders digest i think that is the name of it. has many loads in there for both of my calibers along with god only knows how many others. told the load of which powder for which bullet weight but no primer or bullet recommendations. can anyone give me a good starting powders and primers? thanks guys.

Offline Bobby_2506

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
I'm an NRA certified reloading instructor with 45 years of reloading experience. I would suggest that you either take a course in reloading or find a seasoned reloader to show you the ropes. It can be dangerous on your own without any previous experience. As far as equipment goes, if you are anywhere near Michigan I have a RCBS Jr. press that I no longer use and am willing to part with. The manuals are very important get a good one Speer, Hornady, Nosler have a lot of information that can help get you started. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.
Good luck
Bobby
fauls@chartermi.net

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »
i am from kentucky. the area im from i dont know anyone that reloads. so it will be hard to find someone to learn from. if anyone knows anyone from eastern kentucky that does reload please let me know

Offline Savage

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 01:32:44 AM »
The preferred learning method would be a mentor. As that does not seem to be an option, buy a Lyman, and a Speer manual and READ them! Over and over if you must!  If you pay attention and absorb the reloading "How To and Why" of those books, you will be well schooled in reloading and prepared to start loading and learning. As Stimpy pointed out, the links at the top of this forum contain a wealth of information. Enjoy!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 05:18:36 AM »
i found that handloaders digest at the library the other day it is close to 600 pages but i have read it 2 times already and it has a lot of good stuff in it. but not much of it relating to medium calibers it is mostly heavy pistol and dangerous game rifles. but it gave many good pointers on reloading. as to best bullet weights for the .308 and 30-06 and what was considered the best powders and primers for them in the mid 90's problem there was i cant seem to find the powders and primers mentioned anywhere. but thank you guys for all the help. i ordered the lee loader and case trimmer and stuff like that last night along with a load book for the .308 winchester.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 05:23:18 AM »
The Lee loader will come with a powder scoop.  The load sheet with the Lee loader will list a  powder, primer, etc. for that load.  You MUST use the components listed to be safe.  The scoop will not work with other powders than those listed.......This is a serious issue!  As long as you use what they recommend, and follow instructions, you will be ok.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 06:16:11 AM »
i had inteded to find the powders that are supposed to be used with this setup. and see if my local sporting goods dealer has them im not sure where to find them maybe on the lee website? my sporting goods shop i asked he said he had a select few powders that were good for some guns. if he has those which are listed it would really be cheaper to buy them from him than the cabelas site since there is a 20 dollar hazmat fee on it.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »
I'm going to agree with the advice to get yourself a couple of good reloading manuals.  Lyman and Speer would be my choices.

I've never reloaded 7.62x39, but with .308, I've had good results with Varget and Winchester 748 using 175 gr. Sierra MatchKings and 155 grain Hornady A-Max respectively, both loaded with Remington #9 1/2 primers.

The Lee Loader, as mentioned, is good for doing a few rounds, but something about seating primers with a hammer just seems spooky to me.  I'd spend a few extra bucks and get a Lee Handpress Kit, a full set of Lee scoops, a scale (Lee's scale is accurate, but a pain in the arse to set, IMO), and dies for each.  The Lee dies I linked each come with a powder scoop and some loading data, so you can forgo the scoop set I linked above if you want, but you'll be limiting yourself to whatever powders the scoops that come with the dies work with.  If you buy everything I listed there, it comes out to around $120ish before shipping, I think.

Then again, by the time you've bought all of that, you could probably buy the Lee Challenger kit and the dies you need and be up and running for about the same price.  The Challenger press has to be mounted to a bench, as does the powder measure (I temp mount powder measures to a table with a C-clamp).  I have this kit, but pre-breach lock system, and mine didn't come with the on the press priming setup.  The primer catch system on my press doesn't work real well when it's completely empty or too full (primers bounce out), but they seem to have redesigned this on the newer Challenger presses.  The powder measure is kind of cheesy, but it works (be sure to read the directions and prep it properly, though).  The scale is cheesy and a pain in the arse to set, but it's accurate once you do get it set.