Author Topic: Model 670A front sight  (Read 994 times)

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Model 670A front sight
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »
I'm looking for a front sight for my model 670A chambered in 30-06, and I havent been able to find any kind of parts listed for it in Midway or Brownell's.  Does anyone here know anything about parts interchangeability or have any good resources for winchester parts?  Anny suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Model 670A front sight
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
IIRC the model 70 sight is the same.
The model 670 is nothing but the model 70 with cheaper wood and no floor plate.
All parts should interchange.

If I am wrong someone please correct me.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
CJ,

This place claims to have parts for the 670A:

http://www.brocksgunsmithinginc.com/

Here is the .260 high front blade for a 670A:

https://www.e-gunparts.com/gander/product.asp?SKU=258510B&CatID=7420&mySort=Description,%20SKU

Longtom is correct, IIRC, the 670 was just a birch stocked version of the Model 70 with a blind magazine and a sliding side safety. The 670A was the same as the 670, except it had the bolt sleeve mounted M70 pivoting safety. The 770 & 70A were the same as the 670A except that they had a walnut stock. I believe that the sights on all the above were made by Williams Gunsight Co., but I'm not positive. You might also want to check them out. You never know, they just might have a big box of old ones that never got sold sitting in the back room.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »
While the previous replies are totally correct - there's an even simpler solution once you realize the 670 is just another rifle like hundreds of others different makes, and that ALL of them use similar sights.

It's just that sometimes minor sight details are different from rifle to rifle, like the height or base width.

SO, while a replacement Winchester front sight is certainly OK, ANY other front sight blade (Williams/Marbles/Lyman/etc) of the proper height will also do just fine - especially on an economy rifle like a 670, where many owners choose to upgrade the type of sight from issue to (say) a gold bead, ivory bead, or fiber-optic.

That's why wholesale suppliers, like Midway/Brownells/Williams/Marbles/Lyman/etc list the sights by size, rather than application - AND you couldn't find a reference for a specific rifle.

The only sights that are usually listed by application are those that mount in a position that has a contour that may vary widely from rifle to rifle - like a receiver peep sight.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:30:16 AM »
Good point Ranger.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:41 AM »
Thanks for the input, fellas.  I guess parts are easier to find for this than I thought.