Author Topic: Finally got primers!!!  (Read 1242 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Finally got primers!!!
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Went into my favorite store this morning, only to see all the primer boxes still upside down.  I was about to walk out, and met the courier coming in with a load of stuff.  I decided to wait a moment.  They got in several cases of Rem. primers.  I could only buy 1000 each, but the price was right.  $35.00 per thous.  Hopefully we will see some of this stuff coming back soon.  I also can't find 357 brass.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Finally got primers!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
Congrats Mechanics! $35.00 is sure better than the $75-$100 that some places are asking. I'm still getting mine (CCI) for $29.50 per 1000.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »
Skunk   Was at the gun store today. They were expecting some primers in, but they never showed. They had some large magnum primers on the shelf. The clerk told me that they would work in the place of the lr primers. I by passed on the purchase. What could I expect from my load if I were to use those large mag primers. I can just about guess the answers I will receive, but I would like some feedback on this so I can express my thoughts to the clerk in the store. Hopefully he didn"t  "just want to make a sell".

Thanks   Jim

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
If I needed LR primers, and the price was right, I'd jump on them. I'd reduce my charge by 10% or so and run a few over the chronograph, then adjust from there.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
Actually Jim, with the loads I'm using and the powder I'm using, it didn't make a lot of difference.  I found some magnums a while back.  I've also been using pistol primers in my 45-70 without incident.  The problem is you have to start all over with load workup.

I'm saving the magnums to use with my black powder sub. loads.  They actually work better there I think.

Ben

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
  I bought Remington 9-1/2 M's today for $32.90 per thou.

DM

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
What could I expect from my load if I were to use those large mag primers.

Jim,

I concur with the others. If you start low and work your way up, the LR Mag Primers should be fine. Just keep a real close eye out for signs of high pressure. I have 1300 Small Rifle Mag primers that are going to eventually be used for loads in my .223. Using the mag primers also seems to be more justified when using spherical powders such as H414 and H380. Some folks claim that loads using spherical powders are easier to ignite when using a mag primer, especially in colder temperatures. I'll be using H335 and have no reservations about working up the loads using mag primers.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »
Thanks Guys
                 I'll give it a couple of more days to see if his shipment arrives. If not, I'll try some of the large mag primers and start out on a new load.
                       Thanks for your input
                                                       Jim

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »
No primers in any of the shops I visit here in this part of Ohio. Owners don't know when they will be getting any either  :'(
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »
Local shop had a big pile of small pistol mag and  just 1k of large rifle left. No large pistol mag which is what I wanted for when my H110 gets delivered. Chicken or the egg these days.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »
No primers in any of the shops I visit here in this part of Ohio.

What part of Ohio?  Here in the Akron area they've started showing up pretty regularly at my favorite gun shop.  Not like I can count on a particular brand or type when I show up, but in the past 2 months I've seen pretty much anything you'd want.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 02:00:01 AM »
Jefferson Co./Steubenville plus I was passing by Bellaire yesterday and stopped at a shop there but all the owners don't know when they will get any. What shops in Akron are you referring to? I may be driving up there in a few weeks and I will stop in.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline JustaShooter

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 04:30:47 AM »
What shops in Akron are you referring to? I may be driving up there in a few weeks and I will stop in.

Kames Sporting Goods - it's actually in North Canton, they have a website at http://www.kamessports.com/.  Reloading supplies are delivered & stocked on Thursdays, might be worth a call to see what they've got before you come up.  What are you looking for?

Just a Shooter
NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 04:58:03 AM »
Just small pistol primers.  That Kames isn't too far from me, especially if I have to pass through the Akron-Canton area later in Aug. anyway. Thanks for the tip.  I hope one of my local suppliers gets some soon though.

Joe

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 07:27:37 AM »
 ;)Although too far to help you guys, I bought primers for a friend in Casper Thurs. They had all kinds. Not over flowing but some of each. The limit was 1000 per customer, that is all I needed for my friend. Most of the stores have some, and they are not disappearing as soon as they hit the shelves. This store had a bunch of .22 ammo also, didn't closely check the price, but the primers were 35.00 / thousand. It looks like the stuff is coming back to the shelves in this area. ;)

Offline JustaShooter

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »
Just small pistol primers.  That Kames isn't too far from me, especially if I have to pass through the Akron-Canton area later in Aug. anyway.

Now would be a good time - I stopped by today and there must have been 40-50 bricks on the shelf, and looked to be some of every size. 

Just a Shooter
NRA Life Member

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 03:50:45 PM »
I seen a variety of primers at the local sporting goods store, 4 bucks a hundred.  >:(  I will wait, since I am a long ways from out.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
So many still hoarding.  Couple of guys at my club went to a store who just had a shipment.  Bought all kinds of components that they don't even use because they figured they'd get'm while they could.  It's sooo wrong.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 03:35:12 AM »
I seen a variety of primers at the local sporting goods store, 4 buck a thousand>:(  I will wait, since I am a long ways from out.

Cheese

Cheese

I hope you ment $4 a hundred , I'll take all I can get at $4 a tho. as the last ones I got were $31 a tho.  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 04:30:17 AM »
I stand corrected. What I meant to say is 4 bucks a hundred. I am not buying.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 05:53:19 AM »
at 4 bucks per thousand count me in! ;D

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:03 AM »

Cheese

I know the feeling , I still have some SR primers that I paid $12.50 a tho. for only 3 years ago and when I see guys paying $90 or more it makes me sick , not to mention just a little  >:( >:( >:( .

The fact that guys were even thinking of charging that much to just exploit someone is just WRONG !

stimpy

PS --- I knew what you ment , was just funning you .  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline TheSilverSlayer

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Been picking up some magtech LR primers slowly but surely. Have about 600 in stock now, should be enough to last me awhile.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »

Cheese

I know the feeling , I still have some SR primers that I paid $12.50 a tho. for only 3 years ago and when I see guys paying $90 or more it makes me sick , not to mention just a little  >:( >:( >:( .

The fact that guys were even thinking of charging that much to just exploit someone is just WRONG !

stimpy

PS --- I knew what you ment , was just funning you .  ;)

Stimpy,

Just broke open a "new" box of large pistol yesterday from stuff my Dad left.  They had a price sticker on them for $8.48.   Dad died in 1989.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:42 AM »
Pat's reloading,Fin,Feather and Fur,Champion's, and everbody else is at $40+st on Commercial row here at Camp Perry. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman