Author Topic: Does anyone have any experience with this?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Does anyone have any experience with this?
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »
http://www.tradeindia.com/fp128105/Bronze-Casting-of-Cannon.html

I suspected that they might be the source for the swivel guns that were discussed here not long ago.

One was a reenactor I met who said a man in Vermont cast a dozen and the other involves a much discussed retailer who lists the exact same swivel that  the "Vermonter" was supposed to have cast. Horse pucky! I think they were bought in dozen lots.

Using my investigative skills 8), I surmised the dozen lot angle and also that India was a probable/likely foundry source.

They want more contact information than I am willing to give.

John; did you get my e-mail with this site included?

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Does anyone have any experience with this?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
Rich,

I did get your last message, I didn't respond because I thought you were just tying up loose ends on the topic we were discussing. I looked at the Indian bronze manufacturing site, and saw the pic of the cannon, but that cannon seems to me like it would have been a custom order, and this company was showing it to advertise the fact that they could fashion anything out of bronze, but I didn't send them an email to try and find out. While it's possible that this company is providing C/M with cast bronze guns, I've got the feeling that he's got a deal with some small foundry, or garage hobbyist with a furnace that's making the guns that he's selling.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
Sir Richard,

If you find out a price and a quantity - if the quality is good - this could be the first cannon group buy in the history of  the Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon Forum!  ;D

If you need this to go through a company to get info let me know I can send it from work... In my internet travels I have heard of Ganesh before so it is not a new company.

the add say samples available.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:41:21 AM »
the add say samples available

Free samples?  Put me down for one too.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:09:23 AM »
O.K. men. I'm cogitating.

rc

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:32:50 AM »

rc

I hate it when he does that.  Rich...just make sure you clean up when your done  ;D

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:18:37 AM »

rc

Take some bicarb or Tums.  Should help.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 07:21:42 AM »
I sent them some questions a few days ago, I will show the result here if I will have any
there was another company at that b2b site who also claimed that they made bronze cannons .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »
To borrow an often used line from a favourite book of mine (I own the VHS too), "You kill me".

Clue: Artillery is in it.

COGITATE that!

Richard "The Instigator"

Offline mauserman026

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »
barrel looks good to me

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:49:19 AM »
I just got it

dear sir
thank for your enquiry and sending you query answer
1)alloy is bronge tin 9-11 lead 2% zn-2 bal cu or any other if you require in other composition that is also possible
2)it is casted on core
3)cannon can be made as per your drgs
3)for moulding we use sand method and no bake method
4)yes we can polish and machine as per your need
thanks
sanjay garg

I asked for price also , but he didnt tell me
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
Price quote will probably be made for a specific design, destination and quantity. Does he have an album of completed pieces to choose from?  Perhaps a swivel gun?  Then he would already know what he would charge, without a submitted design.

2nd clue: The battle for Tibet.

rc:)

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
I didnt like to hear that it was a sandcast and they also used a core
sandcastings are ok , but not on something that should have a perfect surface

but the core casting will also make it close to dangerous , most countries quit to cast cannons with a core in the mid 1700.
thats just because the quality wasnt satisfying . to many exploded at the prooftesting and at the battlefields . thats because they was cast with a core.
they couldnt bore a solid cannon until early to mid 1700, when they got equipment to do that the cannons was a lot stronger and more safe to use .
all liquid metals solidify against the mold walls first, and the part that solidifies last will have all or at least most of the slags and porosities .
they didnt have any filters at that time .
so when you use a core the impurities will be left in the middle of the wall of the barrel .
when you cast it solid all impurities stay in the middle of the cannon and will be removed to leave a much stronger barrel

I WOULD NOT RECOMEND TO BUY THIS CANNONS ALSO IF THEY PROBABLY ARE CHEAP .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »
My wife said that the swivel the F&I reenactor had at the event, had a liner.  So I guess we can at least rule out this foundry.

I'm disappointed.  Where are the WWII buffs?  My 3rd and last clue: Pvt. Archimbeau.

BTW: "Instigators". 17th c. Russian 2 pdr Falcons were called "Instigators" because they opened the battles with scatter shot against the enemy formation. 

Now you can go back to your TV and deep thought.

Lewes, Delaware shot fragment.  I spend a couple of weeks every year visiting family along Del-Mar-Va, i.e. Lewes, Harve de Grace, St.Michaels, etc..  In Lewes, there is a house that was struck by a cannon shot.  I seem to think the history of it, mentioned it was done by a ship-board carronade. How would that fit in with the hollow shell fragment?

rc

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »
I just got it

dear sir
thank for your enquiry and sending you query answer
1)alloy is bronge tin 9-11 lead 2% zn-2 bal cu or any other if you require in other composition that is also possible
2)it is casted on core
3)cannon can be made as per your drgs
3)for moulding we use sand method and no bake method
4)yes we can polish and machine as per your need
thanks
sanjay garg

I asked for price also , but he didnt tell me

Well number 2 is a deal killer for most, 
yes the company has been around over 40 years and knows what it's doing,
but a cored gun isn't something most people want.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 11:18:47 PM »
I didnt like the lead and zinc content either
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 05:54:48 AM »
I didn't like the lead either.  But he said he could cast anything you like.  Presumably he could cast it solid and even drill the bore.  Just a question of how much it costs.  Presumably he can make patterns to prints also.

So now we should think of how much the shipping of something like that from India to our various locations would be, then the import duties, ....
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
by air will be too expensive, by boat not much better as the lowest they charge is for 1 cubic meter
approximately 100 us dollar I would guess from india to usa as a minimum.
but Im not interested, when I need a cannon I will do it by myself
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 07:13:49 PM »
I think it was Cannonmn that had opened a thread showing a vid of a small foundry casting multiple smaller sized cannons from a large crucible. What was the name and location of this foundry, and is it still in operation? I made a search for the thread, but had no luck in finding it.

Eureka!
[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAomnhzif7w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAomnhzif7w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »
Rich,

Check out the YouTube vid above, I think we may have discovered the source of the bronze ordnance that C-M is "middle-manning." When I saw the Daniel King Howitzer, I heard a bell ring.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
I'm disappointed.  Where are the WWII buffs?  My 3rd and last clue: Pvt. Archimbeau.

OK, OK, "A Walk In The Sun," now will you come out and play.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
I think it was Cannonmn that had opened a thread showing a vid of a small foundry casting multiple smaller sized cannons from a large crucible. What was the name and location of this foundry, and is it still in operation? I made a search for the thread, but had no luck in finding it.

I can not say for certain but, I believe it was Gillmor Ordnance in OH.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
Based on my sword experience, I would be very leery of an Indian poured cast cannon. Indian made swords are poorly regarded due to their forges using the minimum amount of heat to melt salvage metals and have weak spots were the metal is not hot enough to thoroughly melt everything. There were pix circulating of Indian steel beams that had the outline of the previous items still in them.  :o

Personally, I'd prefer to watch you fire an Indian cast cannon from the safety of a YouTube video. Dr. Darwin still makes housecalls.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
I can not say for cetain but, I believe it was Gillmor Ordnance in OH.

Thanks much, Intoodeep. I was going back and forth between Cannonmn's vid, and photos at the Cannon Mania site, comparing the cannons, and now I don't have much doubt that the foundry in the vid is the supplier of many of C/M's bronze guns. The 1/6th scale M1841 6-pounders, the swivel gun, and the D. King howitzer sure seem to display great family resemblances.  ;)

Wganz,
 Thanks for sharing your information.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 07:32:39 AM »
I spoke with the man who owns Gillmor Ordnance Ltd. today, (thanks Intoodeep) and it is his foundry that is (maybe 'was' would be more up to date) supplying C-mania with most of the bronze guns he offers for sale.
The man's name is Bob Gillmor, and he seems like an amiable gent, so I suggested that it would be to his benefit to become a sponsor here. He got GBO-BPM&C up on his pc as we spoke, so maybe he'll follow through with a contact.
This isn't meant to be a commercial, that wouldn't be right, unless he became a sponsor, but here is some information he provided: There is no discount given on a group buy, he casts cannons from .38 caliber to full size, also a 24-pdr coehorn, and as everyone would probably surmise, C-mania marks the prices up considerably.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »
Good connection!  Thanks for making the invitation!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)