Author Topic: Deprime and Resize Questions  (Read 818 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Deprime and Resize Questions
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »
Hi,
A couple newb questions for you folks if you don't mind. 

When I deprime and resize (full length...or about down to the last quarter inch from the base) I keep getting a small dimple just below the shoulder.  I don't think I am over lubing the case, just a thin coat.  Why do I get this?  Should I toss those cases?  A couple times in was just above the shoulder, but usually below.  Any ideas?

Do you guys mix brass, or do you stick with one brand - for consistency?  Not that I'm that terrific a shot or shooting in competition or anything, but I don't want to throw acuracy off mixing cases if I shouldn't.

Do you re-check each case length and trim if necessary each time you reload - so every case is exactly the same?

Any info would be appreciated. I stopped and can just toss the dimpled ones because I have a bag of new brass.  The new brass is Winchester and I've been reloading the Federal cases.

Thanks!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Deprime and Resize Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
Quote from: Stuart C. link=topic=178753.msg 1098857923#msg 1098857923 date=1248485201
Hi,
A couple newbie questions for you folks if you don't mind. 

When I deprime and resize (full length...or about down to the last quarter inch from the base) I keep getting a small dimple just below the shoulder.  I don't think I am over lubing the case, just a thin coat.  Why do I get this?  Should I toss those cases?  A couple times in was just above the shoulder, but usually below.  Any ideas?

Do you guys mix brass, or do you stick with one brand - for consistency?  Not that I'm that terrific a shot or shooting in competition or anything, but I don't want to throw accuracy off mixing cases if I shouldn't.

Do you re-check each case length and trim if necessary each time you reload - so every case is exactly the same?

Any info would be appreciated. I stopped and can just toss the dimpled ones because I have a bag of new brass.  The new brass is Winchester and I've been reloading the Federal cases.

Thanks!

Hello friend!!

1)  Yes those are dents from too much lube. They are called hydraulic dents and usually occur at the shoulder area.  Maybe not now, but there is too much in your die. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning and use that lube sparingly.

2) I seperate and do not mix rifle cases. Pistol stuff I plink with I do not worry about it.

3) NO, I check with each loading. Bottle neck cases will "grow" faster than straight walled cases.  I trim more for cases that require a crimp.

I usually shoot the dented cases with out issue. They just dont look nice.
 BTW, the only stupid questions are the ones you DONT ask. Dont think twice about posting up any and all questions. We are happy to answer!!
Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »
"I don't think I am over lubing the case, just a thin coat."

CW is correct, you ARE "over lubing" the neck/shoulder.  But the dents are meaningless, shoot 'em.

Newbs almost always over lube the neck and upper body and collect a pile of dents, it's just a part of the learning curve.   Next, you will under lube the important part, down near the head, and get badly a stuck case, that's also part of the learning curve. To correct it calls for a (would you believe!) "stuck case remover"  and few of us get very far into this without needing one. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:12:23 AM »
Newbies ain't the only ones that get lube dents.... ::) :o
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline gunrac

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:42:01 AM »
If your using a RCBS lube pad, or something simular, leave the shoulders hang over the side of pad when rolling brass. It doesn't need it anyway's. Make sure you lube the inside of the case mouth. Inspect each piece of brass. At the first sign of a dent, clean your die. Tho I haven't been loading long, this works for me.
NEVER APOLOGIZE....
AS IT SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAKNESS

"You just can't fix stupid" John Wayne

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:58:03 AM »
Lubing the neck inside brings its own problems especially if you use ball powders. I don't really like that all that much.
Loading cast provides their own neck lube ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
"Newbies ain't the only ones that get lube dents...." 

Sheeee! 

Or stuck cases either, but don't tell 'em that!   ;D

Offline gunrac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »
Lubing the neck inside brings its own problems especially if you use ball powders. I don't really like that all that much.
Loading cast provides their own neck lube ;)

I'm with ya, I don't like it much either but I find it extremely necessary. I've had 3 really bad hang-ups with the expander. { I do have fairly fresh dies }After I trim, chamfer an reprime, I use choke cleaner wipe the lube off the case an q-tip the case mouth out before I start running powder.
If there is a better way, I'm open to suggestions.
NEVER APOLOGIZE....

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:39:30 AM »
When I resize a case, I use RCBS Lube 2 and a pad. You have to be careful not to put too much on or it will dent the case. It really does not take too much, just a light coating. If I start getting dents, I clean the die and then scrape off some of the lube with a stiff piece of cardboard. This usually can happen right after relubing the pad. Make sure you spread it around evenly across the surface and a little goes a long way. I use RCBS lube because it is water soluble. I lube the inside of the necks with it too. When I am done I swish them around in warm water for a little bit, drain off as much water as I can and then dump them on a towel to dry. the out side as well as the inside will have no lube residue on it. If I just wipe them down, I can still have lube inside the necks, even if I do not try to put there (some how it finds it's way there) and powder will stick to it. Once washed, the powder will not stick to the inside of the case mouth. If I am in a hurry, I put the cases in a metal pan and put them in an oven set at 180 F for a little while and it dries them quickly. BTW if your pad becomes dirty, since I use a water soluble lube, I wash it with soap and water, rinse well and let it dry, relube and I am good to go again. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 02:31:16 AM »
For lubing the inside of the necks, Redding makes a small container, looks like a 35mm film container. Has ceramic BB's with mica dust in it. Snap open the lid, and insert the case into the ceramic balls, about half way works for me. Bingo, case necks lubed. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline gunrac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »
For lubing the inside of the necks, Redding makes a small container, looks like a 35mm film container. Has ceramic BB's with mica dust in it. Snap open the lid, and insert the case into the ceramic balls, about half way works for me. Bingo, case necks lubed. gypsyman

Everyone has there own game , an that's cool. If an when I change my scenerio, I'm doing the Imperial wax. Just heard to many good things about it.
NEVER APOLOGIZE....

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
 There seem to be some cartridges and Die combinations that make pulling the expander ball out more difficult then others.
Rather then smearing lube inside and I have used mica and still don't like it, I have a decapping pin in 30 cal used for the the removal of crimped in primers as you would find on mil. ammo Those pins are available in 223 as well. This will take out any primers without any sizing.

Next step would be to lube the outside of the case as you always do, and run it up the resizing die with the expander and deprimer stem removed.
Last step is to replace the decapping unit in your sizer die and set it up or do by feel to expand the neck on the upstroke. The expander will be easier to remove this way. 
It takes extra time but sure beats having a die stuck in the neck or rip off the rim of the case :o
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »
You should clean the inside of that sizing die. It's vent channels/holes may be clogged.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
There seem to be some cartridges and Die combinations that make pulling the expander ball out more difficult then others.
Rather then smearing lube inside and I have used mica and still don't like it, I have a decapping pin in 30 cal used for the the removal of crimped in primers as you would find on mil. ammo Those pins are available in 223 as well. This will take out any primers without any sizing.

Next step would be to lube the outside of the case as you always do, and run it up the resizing die with the expander and deprimer stem removed.
Last step is to replace the decapping unit in your sizer die and set it up or do by feel to expand the neck on the upstroke. The expander will be easier to remove this way. 
It takes extra time but sure beats having a die stuck in the neck or rip off the rim of the case :o

You can also resize normally after quickly and lightly deburring the mouth... I also have a Midway mica set-up, its got a number of bore dia brushes next to a small tray of mica. When I remember its there... it works very well!!  ::) ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
I like the white Lee case lube best. I lube the inside of the case necks with graphite and a Q tip. I usually lube alternate cases in the loading block. Enough residual lube is left on the expander for the next case.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
I suppose I've  tried every method known to man and old ladies to lube for cases.

I have and like the Midway mica method best, it's clean, but it doesn't lube inside quite as well as I wish. 

What works GREAT for an inside/outside neck luber is my home version of the 35MM film can and graphite, I actully use a pill bottle with cap, cut down to about an inch or so long, filled about 3/4 full of birdshot and a teaspoon of graphite.  It lubes necks well, inside and out, and I use Imperial on the body.  What I don't like about graphite is it's a mite black and my widdle white fingers do get stained! 

Of coarse my ever handy bottle of spray Windex and paper towels fixes that well enough, and takes off any residual Imperial too.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »
I too have tried just about all the differant types of lubes and still love Imperial for the real work , but for neck and part FL sizing I've been real impressed with Hornady's One Shot , it does the inside as well as the outside in just a quick blast of the can .

You just need to remember to shake it well before you use it and make sure you spray the cases from all 4 sides to give them an even coat .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped