Author Topic: Beta Master giving me fits  (Read 698 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Beta Master giving me fits
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
Took it to the range a little while ago to run some new loads while I was dialing in a new scope too , got it all set up on the tri-pod , lined up with the target , as soon as I turned it on the thing starts reading Err2 .

The book stated that that is the code for the back eye not reading a bullet passing over it , well DUH , I hadn't shot a bullet over it yet , tried to clear all data per instructions and still no luck , even powdered it down and replaced the 9v batt. with a brand new one .

Any ideas on things to try other than calling the company ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Beta Master giving me fits
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »
Did ya shoot over it at all after resetting it? I've got that error on my F-1 Master before, I just turn it off and back on and shoot over it, it reads fine then.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MePlat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »
Get a piece of cardboard large enough to cover up both screens and put it over top of the difusers and put tape on it to hold it in place.
Should fix the problem.  Keep the cardboard as you will need sometime in the future too.
I got one.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
I just use the diffusers all the time, it always works. I also superglued the 3-pc diffusers together and use wood dowels instead of the metal rods, makes setup a lot easier.  ;)

Tim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:58:39 AM »
I also have a Beta Master - When I set mine up, I turn it on last. I plug the battery in first (when stored, I unplug it), then set the screens, rough site it in (center it in line with the barrel and the target), plug in the remote readout and then turn it on. I then recheck alignment and adjust if needed for height and side to side. I handle it very carefully at this stage - making sure I do not shake it or pass any thing over one of the light sensors, like my thumb. If it gets shaken too much, the sky screens go a flying. I have shot it setting in the sun and in shade, as long as I have it centered properly, I get good readings. Even a little shift on the bags can throw it off enough to give me ERR readings - it has to be centered over the sensors when the bullet passes over them. If I get an ERR reading, after making adjustments, the next will give me a good reading. I set mine up at about the limit of the provided cord, just enough slack in it to keep from pulling the read out off the shooting table. I hope this helps. If not then you more than likely have a bad light sensor. Have you gotten good readings from it at all? - If you have, then I think it is probably set up.

Tim - I have a small ammo case that I store mine in - it is too short to glue the screens together - but I have thought of that. Once I have them set up, they are fine, but it is a pain to make sure you have tension on the screens while installing them, and not letting one slip from your grasp; or they will fly apart. I may have to get another storage container for it. The reason I plug in the battery first, is so I do not shake the chronograph and knock out one of the screens. :(
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:35:31 AM »
ive had two chrony and had so many problems with them that i gave up on them. Bad readings, no readings, calibration ect. I bought a new pact and never looked back. Its like anything else you get what you pay for.
blue lives matter

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:06:26 AM »
Never had any trouble with mine.  Still use the card board mostly after the sun comes up over the hills behind the range.
Leave the difusers on top of the rods and lay said cardboard over them.  I do kinda curve the cardboard though. To keep it from rocking if there is a breeze.  The tape helps keep it on.
For the money to get Vel. S.D.  E.S.   Chronos are hard to beat. 
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:37:02 AM »
ive had two chrony and had so many problems with them that i gave up on them. Bad readings, no readings, calibration ect. I bought a new pact and never looked back. Its like anything else you get what you pay for.

Exactly the experience I had witht chronys. They would work just long enough to give you hope, drove me nuts! I gave mine away and bought a Pact.  No problems since. FWIW one of the chronys I gave away ended up shot! He said it was an accident,-----but I wonder------- ;D

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 03:18:56 AM »
I think that its bound for a trip back to the factory , nothing is working so far , even set it up in the back yard and shot some BB's over it with some of the idea's here . It should have been reading around 300 FPS but all I got was Err2 .

Going from ??? to realy pizzing me off at this point , on the up side , I have managed to not blow myself up without one for over 25 years of loading .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline gunrac

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 04:48:01 AM »
I had my Alpha Model for around 10 yrs. This spring mine done the same thing as your describing. It acted like it was shorting out, working just every once in a while. Then it was just stuck on Err2.

Sent it in, was told the sensors needed replaced. 35 dollar fix + shipping. They do contact you before any fix an give you an exact repair cost. Around a 3 week turn around.

Before I never had any problem in shade, clouds or full sun. Now, if I don't have full sun it's not worth the time an trouble getting it out. I was back in contact with them after receiving it back about my complaint. Was told they like full sun the best and not to set up under any structures or trees. Was also told you could shoot a rubber band thru it an get a reading. Yep, it works. I thought that was kinda wild.
NEVER APOLOGIZE....
AS IT SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAKNESS

"You just can't fix stupid" John Wayne

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 05:12:47 AM »
use wood dowels instead of the metal rods, makes setup a lot easier.  ;)

Tim

Is that code for I shot the aluminum ones? ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 05:19:20 AM »
Code for when I do!!  ;D

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »
I had my Alpha Model for around 10 yrs. This spring mine done the same thing as your describing. It acted like it was shorting out, working just every once in a while. Then it was just stuck on Err2.

Sent it in, was told the sensors needed replaced. 35 dollar fix + shipping. They do contact you before any fix an give you an exact repair cost. Around a 3 week turn around.

Before I never had any problem in shade, clouds or full sun. Now, if I don't have full sun it's not worth the time an trouble getting it out. I was back in contact with them after receiving it back about my complaint. Was told they like full sun the best and not to set up under any structures or trees. Was also told you could shoot a rubber band thru it an get a reading. Yep, it works. I thought that was kinda wild.

$35 by butt , the thing is less than a year old , got it for CHRISTmas and have only used it about 4 times ! Me thinks they will fix for free OR wish they had .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »

$35 by butt , the thing is less than a year old , got it for Christmas and have only used it about 4 times ! Me thinks they will fix for free OR wish they had .  ;)

stimpy

I believe they have a three year warranty....at least mine does.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline gunrac

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »

$35 by butt , the thing is less than a year old , got it for Christmas and have only used it about 4 times ! Me thinks they will fix for free OR wish they had .  ;)

stimpy

He11 ya, Your in!  But ya still have ta pay shipping. { SUKS } Tiss what it tiss. My outfit was 10 years old before it pucked. Not a bad run. Good luck.
NEVER APOLOGIZE....
AS IT SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAKNESS

"You just can't fix stupid" John Wayne

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 01:19:11 AM »
I had a Chrony that quit working and sent it to them. They called and said it would cost more to fix than it was worth, but they would give me a good deal on a new one. Said it was all rusted up inside. The dam thing had never beeen out of the house except on sunny days! There was no rust!
  I bought a new one but NOT a chrony!
                         Beerbelly

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »
I have had one of the cheapest Chronys (the F1 I think) for several years. Once in a blue moon it will fail to record a shot but otherwise it has been flawless. It wasn't new when I bought it, but rather a factory refurb. Based on my experience I'd buy another one should something happen to this one.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 05:14:36 AM »
My Chrony has been, while not flawless, more then adequate.  I bought it many years ago and have never seen the need to replace it.  That said, if I ever do feel the need, I'll probably step up a level or two.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club