Author Topic: Best .357mag self-defense round?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline photobear

• Trade Count: (0)
Best .357mag self-defense round?
« on: July 26, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
Any suggestions on what's considered to be the best .357mag round for self-defense? I'd prefer something that has lower recoil but is still considered to be very effective. The revolver will have a 3-4" barrel. Magsafe? CorBon 125 grain? Federal 110 grain? Or would I be better off with a .38special CorBon +P+?

Thanks.

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
Re: Best .357mag self-defense round?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
I have 2" & 4" 357 S&W's. I like being able to shoot what is cheap and easy to find in stores which is WW / Remington in 125's or 110's. If you want max performance and a lot of noise go with the 125's. The 110's work about as good with a lot less noise, penatration  and recoil. Walmart will have them when they don't have much else. I have shot several deer hit by cars with a lot of hand guns. The 125's are very strong medicine. I carry them in all my 357's.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
125  jhp  from  federal  or remington have  97% one shot  stops

tops  as  of  several  years  ago  not......  sure  now

i  just  like  my  180 WFN  better  but  cant argue with  the '''experts''

stick  with  the  357  and  learn to master it  not  38
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline chg

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Check out the Speer Gold Dots. These are very impressive bullets and loads.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »
Check out the Speer Gold Dots. These are very impressive bullets and loads.

i  have a few  boxes

they  will  open  up  for  sure.....

just like a parachute 
no penatration
but  GOOD  energy transfer  if  only  an arm or leg  is  hit
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
  I like the 125's but lean toward the 158's. I like a little extra weight. The 125's can be nasty but I like a little more penetration. Used the 158gr Remington SJHP on two deer last year it did fine. The .357 has enough of a velocity envelope to be very versatile in your load choices.

Offline Hook686

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
For personal defense I prefer the heaviest, fastest .357 magnum I can buy. I have chosen:

Buffalo Bore

Heavy 357 Magnum Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 158 gr. J.H.C. (1,475fps/M.E. 763 ft. lbs.) 

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20
Hook686

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
The Remington 125 grain semi jacked hollow point was the handgun load with the highest percentage of one shot stops as of the mid 1990's.  Not sure now, but I am sure it's still right up there.  Contrary to popular belief, 110 and 125 grain hp's will not penetrate 1 inch, then stop.  They offer reliable penetration for most all civillian self defense uses.  Remember, humans are more effected by shock then most wild animals, also remember stoping power is most often acheived by drastic loss of blood pressure, causing the brain to shut down,  This is best acheived by massive trauma to the heart and lungs, causing rapid loss of blood pressure.  This is best acheived by a rapidly expanding hollow point that reaches the heart / lungs as it expands, causing maximum damage. Now if your shooting thru car doors, or at folks wearing numerous layers of thick, heavy  leather / canvas winter clothing, then I could see a 158 grain XTP.  Look at the construction, size, thickness, and shape of the average human torso - you don't need or want a bullet that will "shoot thru both shoulders of an elk"  Whichever load you choose, practice a lot, then practice some more.  Nothing wrong with practicing with less expensive / milder 38 spl loads, just remember to mix in enough full power loads so they are not a suprise to you when fired.  Shoot double action only, just like you would in a real situation.  You would be amazed how fast and accurate you can be with a little practice.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline S.S.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
the one that your gun fires the most accurately.
I would suggest .38spl 158 grain SWHP AKA the FBI load.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »
According to FBI officer shooting incidents for the last 40+ years the 357 magnum in the 125 grain jacketed hollow point has the best one shot stopping record in law enforcement history. It is the best of both worlds, in regard to penetration and expansion, and is NOT totally reliant on the hydraulics of the hollow point to be necessary to do the job. This isn't my thoughts, or opinion, although I agree and carried the loading with confidence for 20 years. This is actual street experience in actual shoot situation data.
There are all kinds of charts on kinetic energy, hydrostatic shock and on and on, and have been for years. The important fact is, THIS ROUND WORKS, AND THE ACTUAL "REAL WORLD" RECORDS PROVE IT. ;)
 And no the 357 sig IS NOT a legitimate 357 mag. It's is a high velocity 9mm, and the two are NOT the same.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 06:14:55 PM »
I have shot 357 mag since 1964.  After I got out of the Army in 69 a new  ammo came out.  It impressed me at the time and I overbought thier product.  I no longer shoot a 65-5 S&W after surgery but I load 8 rds into my winchester trapper from my last 4 boxes of Super Vel.  At the time I bought it was advertised as an impact cratering round.  No real penetration and pass through but I figure it will beat anyone to death.   Sort of like having Joe Louis on your side with a 20 yard punch.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:20:10 AM »
blindhari, I haven't thought about Super Vel ammo in years. That stuff was hot, and a friend of mine used to carry it on duty. It didn't have a muzzle flash when shot at night. It had a flame! ;D
Most police shoots are usually within 7 to 8 feet, and I used to kid him that if he did hit the guy he would at least burn him down.
Back in the old days we could carry reloads if we wanted, and my favorite was a 125 grain jacketed hollow cavity with a very healthy dose of AL7 powder. Let us say that it spoke with authority when discharged. With my arthritis I suspect it would be authoritative on both ends now.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:47 AM »
I had a friend in the CHP who first told me about Super Vel.  We were probaly a little goofy but went to a slaughter house and bought an unusable beef hindquarter.  Four of us who all had our own theories chipped in and we hung it from a tree out by the Pittsburg, Ca dump(40 years ago).  We hit that hind quarter with everything from an M1 to a .22.  Biggest single swing came from a handloaded pumpkin ball in a 12 guage.  Second was a blakpowder double shotted rifle.  never having seen that before I stood way, way back.  Third and quite impressive was Super Vel in 357 mag.  I bought about 500 rounds of super vel and used a bunch to impress others and finally tucked away the last 9 boxes.  Every year I fire off six to check if it's still good.  People on the ranges I shot at have kept trying to buy my ammo for collections for the last 10 years or so.  It's not for sale live but I have people who go to gun shows and have bought all my empty boxes and brass.  Impact cratering round is accurate, it blew ghastly shallow wounds into the beef.  Distance was 20 feet, we were'nt too scientific I guess but were more more concerned with terminal performance than statistics.  I do no I don't really have to worry too much that it will go thru a wall or so and injure someone I have no intention to injure. One of the original parameters as I remember was if LEO had to shoot into a crowd he would'nt get multiple pass through hits on bystanders.  I am in agreement on flame out the barrel and it shoots just fine out of my winchester.  Like I said earlier if it's stopped by clothing, even armour someone is still going to know they have been tagged and the next one is probably going to be a head shot.
blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline coop4u2c

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »
I carry Speer 135gr. Gold Dot HP Short Barrel in my Taurus 650. They shoot very well, accurate, and not as much kick as the federal low recoil rounds. I have no idea how they would perform in real life and I pray I never find out!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
Any suggestions on what's considered to be the best .357mag round for self-defense? I'd prefer something that has lower recoil but is still considered to be very effective. The revolver will have a 3-4" barrel. Magsafe? CorBon 125 grain? Federal 110 grain? Or would I be better off with a .38special CorBon +P+?

Thanks.

Simple. Which ever one YOU shoot the best out of your gun. Sure 125-gr SJHPs are the best at one shot stops, but in my 2.5" and 3" K-frames they're a real hand full. I had to drop down to 110-gr loads in those guns. So shoot them all and see which ones you can handle the best. If you have to shoot .38+Ps then do so. A hit is better than a high powered miss any day.

(A .38 wadcutter can do some nasty things to flesh!)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 03:25:29 AM »
I've re-aquainted myself with the .357 as of late thanks to a new SWm60 3".  Several years ago, after spending a lot of time with the likes of Ayoob and Cooper and Farhnam (not being in LE, I used to take their courses)...I was instructed and sold on the 125jhp and bought a ton of Fed125gr hydrashocks.  I just shot some and they still go bang...so...I'll stick with those!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline federali

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 01:26:35 PM »
A 125 Grain JHP is generally credited as being the most effective regarding one-shot stops. It was this performance that led to the development of the .357 SIG, a round that duplicates the .357 Magnum, 125 GR. JHP.

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »
For personal defense I prefer the heaviest, fastest .357 magnum I can buy. I have chosen:

Buffalo Bore

Heavy 357 Magnum Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 158 gr. J.H.C. (1,475fps/M.E. 763 ft. lbs.) 

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20

Buffalo Bore makes a 180 gr .357 moving @ 1400 fps :o.  Talk about opening up a can of whoopass, good Lord!
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »
A couple of years ago, I also bought a box of BB 180gr to try in my Rossi 971.  After shooting two cylinders of that stuff, I decided that it is better served in a .357 carbine.  Afraid it will loosen up the Rossi if I shot any more.  It did loosen up my hands a bit.  Now I have a reason to look for a carbine in .357.

oldhunter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:19 AM »
Federal 125HP..... 
  There are many good loads out there, this is my long time choice. IMHO anything heavier affords too much penetration. Lighter loads may still be OK in warm weather, but heavy winter clothing severely limits its penetration as expansion ratios for this caliber and lite bullets can be quite violent. Admittedly I almost never carry a 357mag for defence.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »
125 Fed or Remington JHP. One shot stops it is the best. I remember reading about the guy that did the research on the stopping power of ammo. He threw out periferal hits and it was very impressive on how different rounds performed. I beileve the 9mm and 45 FMJ rounds were almost excactly the same.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.