Author Topic: tumling brass  (Read 857 times)

Offline fireman 108

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
tumling brass
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:24:17 AM »
What's the secret for keeping the media (crushed corn cob ) from packing in my cases while tumbling. it takes me hours to tap out the stuff I had bought some paste from Lyman's to help shine them up, need help! I could be spending to extra hours at the range. Fireman

Offline ShadowMover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: tumling brass
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:56 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what's going wrong there.

First don't add the cases to the media, until you have added your polishing agent and run the tumbler or vibrating machine for a while to disperse the polish. The stuff should feel dry when you add the cases. Too much of a good thing is bad.

Second, when you are done tumbling, dump the cases into a screen that will allow the media to fall through, yet stop the hulls. You can make your own, or buy them ready made.

Third, if the cases are still packed with media, put them back in the tumbler and run it for a while.  The machine should knock the media from the cases. Once the media is falling out of the cases screen them again to remove and check to see if you need to repeat the tumbling.

I can't help but wonder if your media is damp or wet. The humid summer weather may have something to do with it. Maybe a short time in an oven at 200F would make it dry and flow easily. Keep it sealed from the air when storing.

I realize you may have already done all these things, I'm just suggesting what comes to mind.  I also remember some type of ceramic media that was larger and wouldn't fit into a case mouth. Does anyone here remember the name of the stuff?

You can always expect a couple of chunks of media in a primer pocket or in the tiny vent hole. You will need to inspect each case.

Offline lostchild

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:05:41 AM »
I've got an old lyman 1200 tumbler, Don't rember where I got the collander that fits the top.  Maby you could just drill a hole in a wall-mart plastic one, but that's what I use, dumb brass into a bowl that will hold it all put the collander on your tumbler put the nut on to hold it down vibraite for a few seconds and you'r done. I hope this helps..... lost

Offline wncchester

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:23:03 AM »
Either your media is wet OR much too large/coarse.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:05:37 AM »
You can get some "fine" walnut or corm media at your local pet store. Sold as hamster bedding.

Offline fireman 108

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
All this is great info thanks, i think I'll bake some media Fireman

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
All good ideas, all ;) I also found that if I tumble too long it can pack into the cases pretty tight. It should only take a few hours, not over night. Try putting a timer on it, set it for 3 hours and check your cases. If you need more, then set it for another hour or two. I have found that if I run it 8 hours + the corn cob media can pack pretty tight, especially in the .224 and smaller cases.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline fireman 108

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
So I put the media in the oven at the fire house @ 200 one of the guys accidentlly turned up the oven to 450 for pizza now we have 22lbs of popcorn!!! It'll be gone by tomarrow. Fireman

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
As a fireman you should know better than to turn on an oven without looking inside. How many calls have you been on where the home owner cooked his Tupperware, or set the Self Clean setting without checking?  Besides, you know that corn cobs don't make popcorn.

22 pounds of popped corn is a lot or corn, you must have called a second alarm. We always liked it with melted butter, fine salt (popcorn salt) and a little cayenne pepper.

What kind of pizza was it ;-)

Offline Johnny6gun

• Trade Count: (80)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
I had the same problem with rifle brass and to large media. Try the fine walnut shells at walmart in the pet section, it also cleans the primer pockets.  John

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:34:24 AM »
thats the correct answer.  I use the cheap course corn cob for pistol cases and by fine walnut for bottle neck rounds
I had the same problem with rifle brass and to large media. Try the fine walnut shells at walmart in the pet section, it also cleans the primer pockets.  John
blue lives matter

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
If anyone lives in north Idaho I have 25 lbs of the course corn cob I will give you.

Offline dorothy daily

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »
if idaho's 25 # not enough come to mo late sept. we will let you pick throught the field of your choice for all the cob you can carry. keep smiling.

Offline fireman 108

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 04:13:02 AM »
All is well I threw out the old media and started with new corn media and now there isn't a problem Thanks for all the help Just kiddin about the popcorn  Fireman

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »
I use the crushed walnut shell in my tumbler. I get a 50lb bag at my local feed store for $15.00 a bag.
It will last a long time. Beats what the gun shops want for 5lbs and the pet stores.

Gun Runner

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:57 AM »
thats where i get all my media too.
I use the crushed walnut shell in my tumbler. I get a 50lb bag at my local feed store for $15.00 a bag.
It will last a long time. Beats what the gun shops want for 5lbs and the pet stores.

Gun Runner
blue lives matter

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
    I used to have the same problem; just use walnut shell media and make sure you poke all the little pieces outta the flash holes.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline bolewine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • BUT I ONLY NEED ONE SHOT!!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
    After you tumble the brass. try hitting it with compressed air if you have a compressor it will knock all the dust  loose and clean the primer pockets.
EATING WILD GAME FROM AROUND THE WORLD-AND PISSING P.E.T.A. OFF!