Author Topic: Got time and can't use it.  (Read 731 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Got time and can't use it.
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »
Had my right shoulder fixed last Thursday.  I'm typing one handed now, with my right arm in a sling and strapped to my side.  In addition to learning how to fend for my self one handed, I can't figure out how I'm going to finish and install my new stocks on my BC.  Or how I'm going to fit my 357 barrel to another receiver.  I've asked Sweet Thang to take an interest but she got peeved.  Wasn't gun repair in our marriage vows somewhere?  Of course there is no way I can operate a vacuum cleaner or such like.  Nor can I fold clothes. ::)
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: Got time and can't use it.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:11:04 AM »
Just Wait till you ask a friend to unzip your pants, that will tell you if they are truly a friend! ;D ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »
There are ways of doing your gun work one handed. You have to find a vice or some thing to act as your other hand to hold the piece. Then you can go at it with your good arm.

I really think the fellows here on GBO are very nice, but you will have to find some else to help you with your bathroom stuff - not me :D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »
Just Wait till you ask a friend to unzip your pants, that will tell you if they are truly a friend! ;D ;D

Ain't likely gonna' happen.  I went to Wally World and bought some of those wussy boy elastic waist pants that I said I would never wear!  I've learned as I get older to never say never.

This morning I had to get myself showered and shaved and dressed and drive to physical therapy.  I realized that I couldn't drive and drink coffee with one hand.  That was almost a deal breaker, but I compromised and pulled over on the shoulder and drank the coffee.

My physical therapist is a nice young lady of about 250 pounds who is build like the governor of California.  I didn't whine one time.  Afraid to.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
Tell me about the surgery I have to do it next month I've put it off about as long as I can. In my case it is my left shoulder tho both need it badly the pain in the left has reach a level that mandates getting it done with little more delaying.

My doctor says he is gonna do it via arthroscopic surgery rather than via open surgery. I've had both x-rays and MRI of the left shoulder and have calcium deposits in two places and a partially torn tendon. I've been living with the pain for many years getting by on pain meds, anti infalmatories and occasional steroid shots but this has become too painful to continue that route.

Which type surgery did you have for what problems?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
Get all healed up Ben, then you can do the two handed stuff, trying to do stuff when you can't or shouldn't can be worse in the long run, been there, done that.  :-\

I wish you a speedy recovery,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »

Bill, the night after surgery was about as bad as I've ever had for pain, but now 4 days later the pain is less than before the surgery.  I've not taken any pain meds today at all.  The biggest thing is the long recovery.  6 weeks with no use of the arm at all, 6 mos. to full recovery.

Fortunately, my job is one not many can do.  My boss says to come back and just ride around and point whenever I'm ready, and he will have someone to drive me and do the work.

They did mine with the scope, repaired a torn rotator, a torn biceps muscle, and a broken collar bone.  I'm all wired together now.  He said if I followed direction, I should get back to 100%

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
The Pain Meds are there not to releive the pain from surgury but to make sure you breath in and out fully.
When you are in pain you shallow breath and can build up Pnumona if you do not inhale or exhale fully.
After I roke my collar bone I told the Doctor I really did not want to take pain killers and that I had a high tollerance for pain.
he told me about breathing at night and wanted to make sure I took them each night and straped my arm down.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
Back I 1995 I had the same surgery. The procedure went well and I thought I had it made till the rehab started! That is when the fun started. I did most of the rehab at home but healed up almost as good as new.Just be careful, dont try to be a John Wayne type , wait till the DR. says its ok and you will be almost as good as new.I still shoot a few well fitting rifles with heavy recoil and a friend of my that had the same surgery shoots a 348 Win with no pad for cowboy  and silhouette matches! Now that gun is really brutal! I did not enjoy shooting it before I had surgery much less after wards.
Good Luck
Ps
I still have trouble with the metal detectors at the airports!
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
Get well soon....and if you get bored it would be a fine time to work on your left-handed handgun shootin skills...just an idea

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
Get well soon....and if you get bored it would be a fine time to work on your left-handed handgun shootin skills...just an idea

Just called my Bro. today and told him to bring the Blackhawk by.  I won't be able to shoot a rifle for several months.  That old 44 will do the job.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
I had my left rotator main tendon repaired July17th got the staples out 6 days later started therapy the same day am working it by myself dayly now and therapy 3 days a week the most I get from them is how they can stretch every thing for you without puttin to much pressure on the tendon. This is my third cuff surgery and the second on the left one. I have a very low pain tolerance but am now weaning myself off. I spent the night in the hospital on this one just so they could manage my pain with heavy meds then came home with oxycontin for about 4 days then down to vicodin and am getting myself off those and onto a non narcotic chronic pain reliever that I have been taking for several yrs. I have my sling off now and only use it to sleep with. Bigest thing now is to work back to strength so far so good 10days post op. But I got to tell ya GB the first few days are painful as hell gets better every day now cept for when my Swedish therapist works me over then I got to ice it down pretty good. ;)Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 04:34:08 AM »
bought some of those wussy boy elastic waist pants that I said I would never wear!

:D  MAN!  I'd pay to see that!   :D

Take it east Ben.  I drink to your speedy recovery.   ;)

Same goes for you will'um!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:59 AM »
These guys have about talked me out of the surgery once again. I've been talking myself out of it for years. The pain is again back to a bearable level after two steroid shots and a couple weeks of almost total rest.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
Bill,
But think how good you will feel after you are all healed up.
It will only hurt for a little while.
I know you are not one of the no pain no gain crowd.
your one of the no pain.... Good.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
Problem with the rotator GB is it will never heal itself if you can stand those shots you can do the surgery. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »
Bill, every time you use it  you risk further injury.  Mine was 90% torn.  If I had had it fixed at 30% or whatever, it would have been a much easier recovery.  Don't wait too long.  If the bicep tears completely loose, it will retract down to about the elbow, and you will have a 12" incision instead of 4 little holes.

I would tell you that it ain't really that bad, but you would think that misery loves company.  Yeah its bad, but after almost a week, I am reasonably pain free.  Less pain than the torn shoulder caused.  Besides, they give really good pain meds.

Ben

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
GB,you need to listen to these guys....nobody wants to go thru surgery and painful recovery,but there's times when a man needs to take a hit now or things will never get better, and it sounds like this is one of those times for you,my friend....stop talking yourself out of it and get it fixed. You'll probably live a better life for having done it.you,mechanic,Kurt,all you guys take care of your health for you and your familys.   Mike