Author Topic: "Hot" factory loads  (Read 505 times)

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
"Hot" factory loads
« on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
I went shooting with a friend who tried out a new Rem. 700 in 7mag.  He shot a couple Winchester factory loads, and about half of them would not extract, had to get a cleaning rod to get the case out.  He said the box of ammo had been store properly.  I had one round of Remington that shot OK.  Comparing the primers, the Winchester definitely showed higher pressure than the Rem. 
Anyone else see this problem?
I pulled the bullets on the rest of the box of ammo and am going to reload it and see what happens.   I was going to use IMR4350 with the same 150gr bullets I pulled.  Hodgdon gives a range of 57.0 to 60.8 gr., another site gives a range of 52.8 to 64 gr with a CCI 200 primer.  I want to stay as low as possible considering the past history of this rifle.   I was thinking of starting at 55 grains and working up.  Any opinions of this, or suggestions for a better load.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: "Hot" factory loads
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:56 AM »
I once had a Rem 788 that would not fire any factory load!! Bolt lift was VERY hard the couple times I did shoot it. I loaded my own, working up loads that where safe in the gun. The result was a long time favorite that shot tiny little groups.

If its new, I would likely return it for factory check out. If not, you being a hand-loader can easily make up loads to keep it safe. As for a load or direction. you can see by your quoted data that every-one's is different. This is because every-one's firearms are different. Thusly they react differently when fired in different locations. Largely, but not limited to, slight dimensional differences, altitude and temperature variations. So start lo and work up until you find that perfect shooting load. its all part of the fun of reloading.

BTW< My 7magie likes 7828, 780 and 4831 powders. My fav bullet is Sierra 160 BTSP.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: "Hot" factory loads
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:25 PM »
Here's your friend's problem - it isn't the rifle.

5/20/2005  Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling three (3) lots of its SUPREME® 7mm Remington Magnum 150 Grain BALLISTIC SILVERTIP® (BST) centerfire rifle ammunition (Symbol Number SBST7).

Lot Numbers (last four characters): VL82, VL92 and VM10

Through extensive evaluation, Winchester has determined the above lots of SUPREME® BALLISTIC SILVERTIP® ammunition may contain incorrect propellant. Incorrect propellant in this ammunition may cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable, and subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of personal injury when fired.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® SUPREME® 7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM 150 GRAIN BALLISTIC
SILVERTIP® AMMUNITION THAT HAS A LOT NUMBER ENDING IN VL82, VL92 or VM10.

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=137