Author Topic: Cannon at Football games  (Read 2444 times)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cannon at Football games
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 09:14:14 AM »
I think the cannon used by the Tampa Bay Bucs are 10 or 12 guage breechloaders.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
You guys are perfectly right and I am once again, completely wrong. Hate it when that happens!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 01:02:43 AM »
You guys are perfectly right and I am once again, completely wrong. Hate it when that happens!

We'll let you slide just this one time, Skip. You will of course have to be right 100% of the time in the future. I think that's in the rules somewhere...

;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
then I will be thrown out from here very soon   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Mustang07

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 05:53:58 PM »
Hi,
I am new to the forum but I have a golf ball cannon on a navel carriage that I have been firing at Juan Digeo High School for two seasons. I fire one round/blank at the begining and once for every touchdown and if we win, one for the road. I make my own black powder and depending on the quality I can get by with no wadding. The playing field has a berm at each end about 15' high on one side and 20' high on the other. If I am not using wadding I fire my cannon at its hightest elevation over the field long ways. It is impressive and the palyers and fans love it.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
that sounds cool 'making your own powder !!!!!!'
i'd love to learn how to do it .  8)

but isnt that one more libility ?  >:( , i think i would for sure use commercial BP , for the games.

that ..."depending on the quality ..." thing .....

kinda made me go ....hummmm ?   :o

good luck and welcome to the board !

make your own powder ....! what a hoot . i hope you'll clue us in ,detail by detail ....!

as a kid we 'made some' according to the 'worldbook encyclopidias' notions .

' yes sir.' i need sulfer for my sick cows ..... :-[ , oh yes and some potassium nitrate please ....?

i was proly holding the bag of quick light briquets too ....  he had no clue .... ::)

nothing but a boiling green yellow bubblling gloo , probly still stuck to the sidewall ......

so i need work !  ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 03:31:44 AM »
that sounds cool 'making your own powder !!!!!!'
i'd love to learn how to do it .  8)

but isnt that one more libility ?  >:( , i think i would for sure use commercial BP , for the games.

that ..."depending on the quality ..." thing .....

kinda made me go ....hummmm ?   :o

good luck and welcome to the board !

make your own powder ....! what a hoot . i hope you'll clue us in ,detail by detail ....!

as a kid we 'made some' according to the 'worldbook encyclopidias' notions .

' yes sir.' i need sulfer for my sick cows ..... :-[ , oh yes and some potassium nitrate please ....?

i was proly holding the bag of quick light briquets too ....  he had no clue .... ::)

nothing but a boiling green yellow bubblling gloo , probly still stuck to the sidewall ......

so i need work !  ;D

Good point on the liability at the games.  Plus I am NOT a big fan of using any type of wadding, can uncontrollably spike pressures.  Powder alone is all you need.  Every cannon I have read about that exploded/burst was using wadding.  Not to mention creating a projectile.

It sounds like you are safety minded and are controlling the situation well, just need to use a known good commercial powder and no wadding; save the cool home made stuff for home range activities...

Anthony

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 06:53:56 AM »
Mustang07 --

WELCOME to the board!   We'd love to see some pictures and discussion on how you make your own BP.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
I made my first batch when I was about 12  ;D

using my mothers marble mortar

ITS NOT RECOMENDED TO DO IT THAT WAY , but I was just a child   :-[

last time I made any bp I used a ball mill to crush all ingredients separately,
when all 3 are just a very fine powder you mix them together in the ball mill and add a suitable amount of water. not to much , but absolutely not to little either.
better with a little to much water, should be a thick slurry .

then you let the ball mill tumble for another few days , the longer the better quality on the powder.
4-7 days I let it go

then you take the powder (slurry) out and lets it dry until its in the same consistency as ceramic clay.
then you push it through a fine mesh net, mesh size depend on wished granulation size .
the result you got then looks like black spagetti
let it dry outside in the sun, crush it between your hands or between 2 pieces of plywood .
if you want to be really serious you can make a hand cranked rolling mill with rubber rollers that have an  adjustable space between them

when thats done its time to let it pass trough a sieve,
or preferable different sieves with different mesh size to get different granulations

if its done this way it will be the same quality as commercial black poder
the only difference will be the color , this will be more grey then black .
commercial powder are polished and graphite coated, thats what gives it the black color and it prevent dust from the powder .
homemade bp gives an much more relieable ignition when used as priming powder in flintlock guns .

milling balls must be lead balls
whatever you do , dont use steel balls
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
"...my mothers marble mortar."

Do all Swedish ladies have mortars that shoot marbles, or just your Mom?

:)

I understand that forming the BP mush into "pucks" under pressure, drying then breaking them up yields more powerful powder than the method you describe. I've got a few pounds of pucks made by a friend I have to break up. The powder from them seems to be more or less as good as Goex, far as I can tell.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »

I understand that forming the BP mush into "pucks" under pressure, drying then breaking them up yields more powerful powder than the method you describe. I've got a few pounds of pucks made by a friend I have to break up. The powder from them seems to be more or less as good as Goex, far as I can tell.

Yes powder is compressed,  I used to make my own when I was a teenager many moons ago, Actually a friend & I used to make it, He was a nut case but super intelligent, I was the more conservative of the two which is  probably why neither of us ended up in jail from our experiments. We would place our goo in a plywood frame and stick it  in the crawl space under the house with a house jack sitting on top of it, we would give the jack several turns and let things sit. 

One very important thing left out of this conversation so far..........when you mix your powder you must add graphite to the mix! This coats the grains so when you have a dry cake
you have less danger of the cake igniting during the process of breaking it up, you see when you break up compressed powder it can cause friction between the granules....... THAT IS A BAD THING............. Friction BAD...... NO Friction GOOD! I had one cake ignite! fortunately I was wearing leather welding gloves and a welder's apron so there was no
damage done.  We did our research and found out that powder manufactures added graphite to prevent friction. I think most people after having one of these chunks ignite would quit but being teenagers we were indestructible and would live forever....... (We thought) as with anything that doesn't kill you with age comes wisdom..........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 12:26:18 AM »
"...my mothers marble mortar."

Do all Swedish ladies have mortars that shoot marbles, or just your Mom?

:)

Of course! How do you think the term  "Crazy Swede" came about........  young Swedish boys shooting their marbles out of their mother's marble mortar until

they lost all their marbles.......... the Swedes also invented the term "Lost their marbles"
   ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 01:45:09 AM »
"..........when you mix your powder you must add graphite to the mix! This coats the grains so when you have a dry cake
you have less danger of the cake igniting during the process of breaking it up, you see when you break up compressed powder it can cause friction between the granules....... THAT IS A BAD THING............. Friction BAD...... NO Friction GOOD!"

I've never seen any recommendation that graphite be added to the mix; only that the grains can be coated with it after breaking it up to reduce absorption of moisture and improve flow.

I've hammered BP on concrete and couldn't make it ignite.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 04:11:14 AM »
It was a long time ago over 30+ years, where we found the info (pre internet)
I don't remember but it gave the formula explained that graphite was added
to prevent friction on breaking it up, I guess it depends on how agressive you are as you break it up.........
the info also talked about the different screen sizes etc.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:34 AM »
I have never hear about mixing it in during the manufacturing either , but know that factory powder have its polished grains covered with graphite.
to press it to very homogen cakes is good , but it also makes it a little bit more dangerous to crush them to the right granulation without some kind of rubber rolling mill
if I would produce any larger amounts I would build one , but for a 4,5 lbs batch every fifth or tenth year it aint neccessary ;D

approximately what percentage of graphite should be mixed with the powder  ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2009, 07:34:36 AM »
I'm not sure why, and it may have to do with graphite, but you use to be able put some GOEX on an anvil and smack it with a hammer and it would ring your ears.  It will no longer do that.

Something has definitely changed in it's composition.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2009, 12:09:17 AM »
I'm not sure why, and it may have to do with graphite, but you use to be able put some GOEX on an anvil and smack it with a hammer and it would ring your ears.  It will no longer do that.

Something has definitely changed in it's composition.

Using a 5# brass hammer on concrete, I just smashed samples of recently made Goex FG, Goex FFG from an older style can, ~40 year-old Hodgdon FFFG, home made BP chunks and a couple of large, non-graphited FA grains. Couldn't get any of it to light no matter how hard I hit it.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2009, 02:50:10 AM »
We did it on an anvil. if it matters, and it did sometimes and not always.   Just acouple of granules was all we used.  Doesn't work now.

It also worked with IMR 3031.  Haven't tried that one lately.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
We did it on an anvil. if it matters, and it did sometimes and not always.   Just acouple of granules was all we used.  Doesn't work now.

It also worked with IMR 3031.  Haven't tried that one lately.

With a steel hammer on an anvil, I imagine the pressure on the powder would be greater than with my brass/concrete experiment. Might cause a spark if there were some "flinty" grinding dust on hammer or anvil too.

I remember reading years ago that Bullseye could be set off with a hammer, but I've never tried it.

Anyway, I feel pretty safe with crunching up my BP chunks after looking at a few websites showing how people normally break up pucks in bags with non-ferrous hammers/mallots.

Sherlock Holmes