Author Topic: surplus powder  (Read 652 times)

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
surplus powder
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »
just the other day i was reading a post with a couple links to places you can purchase surplus 4895 but i'll be darned if i can find it now...can anybody help me out with that?

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Re: surplus powder
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:30:34 AM »
Pete's reloading carries some. A gun shop owner told me that he used to buy 4831 for a buck a pound loose in a brown paper bag back in that day. Ammo is in shorter supply these days
 CMP has a 6 month wait to buy 30-06 from the 60's and Army Reserves does not even do live fire practice most of the time.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:01:35 AM »
I used to shoot a lot of WC680 and IMR4895 surplus I bought from Hi-Tech Ammunition in 8# jugs.  Great powder - works every bit as well as the commercial counterpart for half the price.    Still have almost full jugs of both on hand.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
Here is one place - don't know if it the cheapest or not - I found it while looking for primers. I recently bought 8 pounds of Ramshot TAC for $118 a keg

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|283|313
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:33:37 PM »
I'd be real surprised if you can still find surplus 4895.  In this part of the country (PA and surrounding states) its been dried up for several years.  I agree, it shot as good as commercial, and was way cheap.  The last batch I got was $58 for an 8# jug.  One of my biggest reloading mistakes ever was to only buy one jug at that price.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
There is a place here in Ohio, Pat's Reloading, that advertise's surplus powder. It actually is brand new powder. Give's you a good price, because your not paying for a million dollars in ads in all the hunting mags, or sponsering shooters and events. He might be at Camp Perry this coming week. Will check when I get out there tomorrow, and let you know on price's.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
The last batch I got was $58 for an 8# jug.  One of my biggest reloading mistakes ever was to only buy one jug at that price.

I think the last I bought from Hi Tech they were about $54 for 8# jugs (maybe 2003).   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
thanks for the replies,guys...

Offline soli

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
I bought 48# from Widener's about 2 weeks ago 109 per 8# it's Brit Radway Green 4895.Loaded some up today in 300wby to break in barrel clean burning did'nt try for accursey,I'm happy with it.

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
There is/was a place in Owensboro Ky that used to sell surplus.  I can't remember the name.  Maybe if you google it, you can find it.
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
Bill,SC

That would be Jeff Bartlett's , gov.surplus components , but from looking at his web site about all he has in stock now is 50 BMG powders , he does list having pleanty of 5.56 and 7.62 LC brass in stock though .

http://www.gibrass.com/index.html

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
Bill,SC

That would be Jeff Bartlett's , gov.surplus components , but from looking at his web site about all he has in stock now is 50 BMG powders , he does list having pleanty of 5.56 and 7.62 LC brass in stock though .

http://www.gibrass.com/index.html

I always heard that the origin of the surplus 4895 was from -06 cartridge "pull downs."  Jeff's site, under "projectiles", says that no surplus bullets are available since the pull down contract ended in 2003.
Ladobe said that he got his last jug in 2003, and that was about the time frame I bought my last.