Author Topic: did i tell you i love the little sprotical!  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
did i tell you i love the little sprotical!
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »
bought one to use as a blaster to save on my high dollar ars. All i did to it was a trigger job a cheap non floated 4 rail a forward grip and a a m2 aimpoint. this inexpensive gun will shoot moa all day long and runs like a top. It took the 1200 round day without missing a beat and in the last couple days my son has put another 1000 through it. I cleaned it after the first session and it still hasnt missed a beat. Ive had it so hot that you couldnt even hold it by the 4 rail and it still just keeps going bang. Some of my high dollar guns could take lessons from this little thing. Light handy reliable and accurate and cheap to boot. cant beat that.
blue lives matter

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: did i tell you i love the little sprotical!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
After much online and hands on research, I decided on the sportical in 308. Between my dad and twin uncles there are 5 ar's in the family ranging from S&W, Bushmaster, and Colt. I would not trade my Sportical for any of them. Good call. I just wish I could shoot 1200 rounds without batting an eye.  ;D
"Common Sense IS NOT An Inherited Trait"

JT

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
I picked up an ar10 sportical myself recently. Ive put about 500 rounds through it so far and its been reliable and very accurate. Only thing i can complain about so far is the trigger pull. I just got my trigger group back from bill springfield and maybe next week ill get serious about shooting it.
blue lives matter

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
So far I have been happy with mine. A little creep but other than that it is great. I have put my money into the optics rather than the trigger. Perhaps one day I will improve it also.

JT

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
Bill springfield will do your trigger pretty cheap. His top shelf job gets you about a 3 lb creap free trigger for under 50 bucks. All you need to send him is the trigger group and pins. Turn around is about a week.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
What the heck is a sportical?  ???

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
i believe its a sporting version of the huntical, very close in design to the cruiserical   
  ;D

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
I was thinking just what Bill said.............  ::)
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 03:01:39 PM »
its a basically a stripped ar15 it doesnt have a foward assist, dust cover, or brass defletor no sights so its a little cheaper runs about 750 here
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
It's the plain jane of the AR family. There are no extra features on this rifle.

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:36:05 AM »
That is what makes it so unique. Do you really need a dust cover or forward assist? As for the A frame front sight, no need for it either. Especially if you are going to put a scope on top anyway. I have mine set with with a scope for distance and green laser for close up.

JT

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
Bornsouthern is sooo right.  I don't need a dustcover, front site, forward assist or carrying handle.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:50:42 AM »
a forward assist is nothing but a wart on an ar! the last thing i want to do if a round doesnt want to chamber is slam it into my chamber and tie the gun up worse. I kind of like a dust cover but can live without it. Most civlilans are crawling through the mud with there guns anyway and about every sproting semi auto has an exposed bolt. these sproticals are an excellent bang for the buck.
blue lives matter

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I personally like forward assist.  I'm glad I have it on my AP4 (which I use for deer hunting).  It allows me to quietly load a round into the chamber.  Otherwise, I have to let the action slam forward, which is loud.

But you are right, if you can't get a round to go into battery, you shouldn't be using the forward assist.

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »
I personally like forward assist.  I'm glad I have it on my AP4 (which I use for deer hunting).  It allows me to quietly load a round into the chamber.  Otherwise, I have to let the action slam forward, which is loud.

Someone once showed me a trick with a homebuilt A1. Slab-sided, no FA or shell deflector. I had brought up this very subject.

He eased a round into the chamber and of course the bolt stopped just short of locking up.

Then he stuck his thumb in the ejection port, and using the notch in the carrier (for the ejection port latch) he pushed the bolt into lockup.

I have tried it and it works!

Of course I have a FA and don't NEED to do it this way, but I like knowing that I could if I had to.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »

Anybody have a link to these?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »

Anybody have a link to these?

This will get you in there. You may have to look around to find what you are looking for.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5295

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »

Thanks for the link. My wife just showed me the Field and Stream web page. I had never thought to look them up before. As it happens they had an article there on the top 25 AR's and the Sportical was pictured there. Nothing ugly about them just a smooth looking rifle. Retail according to the article is $704. So maybe you can pick on up for $600 or so. Can anyone give a report on how accurate they are?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 01:24:22 AM »
mine will shoot into an inch at a 100 yards with 55 or 60 grain vmaxs and about 1.5 to 2 inch at a 100 with ball. Pretty dammed good for the light wippy barrel thats on it. As to the looks personaly i prefer a smoth sided ar and think a foward assist is a waste of metal and money on an ar. the last thing im going to do if a round doesnt chamber is ram it in harder. Just rack the bolt and clear the gun and keep going. Just got back from the gunshop yesterday and they had a little 16 inch bull barreled dpms that was smooth sided. Cute as a button and its got me counting the change in the piggy bank. If it werent for all the money ive been shelling out building the new barn it would be sitting here now.
blue lives matter

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
I need the brass deflector...I am a South paw...Don't want that brass hitting me on my thick skull.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:10 AM »
yup that can be a problem. My buddy bought one just like mine for his daughter after shooting mine and unfortunately his daughter is a south paw too and he had to trade it off. he ended up picking up a left hand stag and its a sweetheart too.
I need the brass deflector...I am a South paw...Don't want that brass hitting me on my thick skull.
blue lives matter

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »
My neighbor picked up a Stag lefty and had to send it back immediately. Seems it would not feed from any mags except for the one that came with it. They sent it back and it has worked flawlessly since. However, I looked at every brand before buying my DPMS AR-10 Sportical, and the only mfg that I would consider to be better would be S & W. All the RRA, Stag and Armalites I tried seemed loose and flimsy to me. Maybe I just got a good one. Who knows????  ;D

JT

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 12:46:12 AM »
i like my sportical ar15 and ar10 just fine but your the first ive heard to claim the quality is better then a stag or rra. The sprorticals are a good bang for the buck but you give up some nice features like m4 ramps and chrome lined bores and chambers and the bolts on most every dpms ive owned or played with needed to be restaked as the factor job was a joke. To me there kind of the ruger blackhawk of the ars. there a good reliable well made gun but lack anything that isnt absolutely nessiary to make them go bang and quality control can be a bit spotty. Good news is if you get a good one there a fine gun and if you get one that isnt perfect its easy and cheap to make it good. But i wouldnt put them on the same level as my stag, colt or even my bushmaster. for a entry level ar there hard to beat though.
blue lives matter

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »
You are right! I am heir to 5 ar's between my dad and twin uncles (never had kids). Every one a different brand and style. I guess there are good and bad features to all of them. Ultimately, I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and specific wants. If there is one "down" to my gun, it is that the chamber is too tight. I have had a few reloads that did not want to chamber. Part of that could have been the fact that they were once fired military brass. I figure some came from a very loose gun, maybe like a M-60.

JT