Author Topic: Do we have any Maine deer hunters??  (Read 743 times)

Offline DLuke

• Trade Count: (0)
Do we have any Maine deer hunters??
« on: September 28, 2003, 06:16:11 AM »
Any Maine hunters out this way?  I've been hunting Central Maine for 21 years now, around the Corinna, Dexter, Dover-Foxcroft, Atkinson area.  We've had lots of fun over the years and have shot some good deer to boot.  Any other Maine hunters here?   DLuke

Offline Sgt Mike

Maine Deer Hunter - Will be there in 5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 01:46:46 AM »
I hunt the Springfield area for one week annually, folks up that way are really nice. That is the shortest week of the year. Any word on the condition of the herd?
Mike :grin:

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 04:54:52 AM »
I hunt the alagash, I stay at PB outfitters. Will be there the last week of Nov. Its tough hunting in that area, theres more bear and moose than there is deer. The deer that are taken are usually dandy's.

The weather can put the stops on game movement real quick, and restrict your own ability to get around if your not well prepared.

Good hunting to ya... :D

PS. I heard that of last week, there were 103 bear taken out of Pauls camp.  :eek:
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline Paul

Maine hunting
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 04:05:09 PM »
I hunt the same areas of around Sebec Lake area. Only the camp,at the end of Bowerbank Rd., that I usually hunt out of, got transfered to a wife in a very ugly divorce settlement. UGH!!! Just moved back to Ma. from Florida and all my hunting buddies got tired and don't go anymore. I'm planning on trying it alone this season, but I'm sure it won't be as much fun. I've also hunted Skowheggan, Maddawaska, Fort Kent, and Moosehead region, staying at the Wagon Wheels Camp a few times, in the earlier years.
       Best of luck in the upcoming season.
        Paul
         PGPIC@AOL.COM
Noleman,from the People's Republic of Massachusetts

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
maine deer hunting.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 04:59:45 PM »
I just spent a week in maine in washington county bear hunting near forest city .% hunter in camp for 6 days and only one deer was seen.I personally saw two sets of deer tracks.Moose are much more abundant up there.After growing up in the NY adirondacks i didnt think there was a place on the east coast with fewer deer per sq mile.I was wrong.Dont mean to bend any noses here but for my money,we have more deer in the adirondacks(i live in catskills=even more deer) and the bucks we do have are just as big as those in maine.I'd never book a deer hunt in maine...but you've got my money for bear hunts.
                                                                            Shooter :?
Shooter

Offline DLuke

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 09:48:21 AM »
shooter...if you are judging the herd in Maine by what you saw in Downeast Washington County, you are not giving Maine a fair shake at all.  Downeast has been horribly thin on deer for decades now...   DL

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
judging herd in maine
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 06:34:00 PM »
Dluke,
          ok,thanks for the correction.I love maine,i keep going back.Just not sure if i'd hunt deer there as a 1st choice,thats all.
                                                              shooter
Shooter

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Maine Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 12:58:15 PM »
Dluke,
I grew up hunting Dover-Foxcroft off the Notch Rd and spent a bunch of years hunting in the Unity area. I now live in Mid coast Maine and hunt deer from September (archery) right through the second week of December. although I do still carry a rifle every now and then during November. If you ever want to put in for some doe permits in my area let me know and I can point in the right direction. I never thought I would see the day when you could legally shoot multiple deer in Maine, but I am sure glad it has come.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 01:59:13 AM »
I hunt in Sweeden -  between Bridgton and Fryburg -  where the camp is and some areas closer around the house (Falmouth, Windham)
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.