Author Topic: Swivel gun load  (Read 380 times)

Offline navygunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Swivel gun load
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Currently I fire off a salute charge of (3) tablespoons 1fg in my Carpenter swivel. After the reenactment season I would like to load 3/4 lb of buckshot (#3 or #4) and fire it to see the results as if it was repeling boarders. Should I simply wrap the shot in fine muslim and load over say 1 tablespoon of powder or perhaps load 1 tablespoon with an over powder card, shot cushion and overshot card much like a  blackpowder shotgun? This is still a few months off but I would really appreciate the imput? :)

Thanks,
NG

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Swivel gun load
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »
I think I would find some proper tools to weight and measure powder  and shot first.  Tablespoons and teas spoons are for cooking not shooting!  Get a little to much flour in the cake  will not have the catastrophic results that getting a little to much powder in the cannon. 

After that I would think you could load the gun like a muzzle loading shotgun.  You could also make  cannister and stand of grape shot,

Offline navygunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Swivel gun load
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
Double D,
    I neglected to mention that I measured 600 grs with my musket measure (5x120), placing the load into a small 2 ounce cup and marking it. For grins and giggles I tried the tablespoon to see what it came out to. As a salute charge(per Dom) I have an additional 150 grains to play with but I'm satisfied with the 600 +/- 10 I'm using. When it comes to doing a buckshot load all measuring will be done with the powder measure starting way below Dom's reccomended ball charge esp with the powder cards. ;)

Geo Dailey
U S Naval Landing Party (western waters)
Great Lakes Battalion
Battery D 1st Michigan light artillery