Author Topic: Accuracy Question  (Read 767 times)

Offline Balataspin

• Trade Count: (1)
Accuracy Question
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:45 AM »
Yesterday I was out to the range and was plugging away at finding a good factary round. About the best I could do with my .223 was and Inch and a half at a hundred yards. Keep in mind I havent done anything to my rifle just strait out of the box and  put a scope on it and head to the range. So I started thinking about the things that I can do to dial it in. First off, I was going to try the neoprene washer thing and make sure I had clearance from the forend and then see what happens. One thing I did notice is I put one of those (Not sure what its called) rubber two round holders down on the barrel on the forend for quick loading moments. My question is how many use these and is there a chance that this can affect the accuracy as well??

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Accuracy Question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
Any changes may affect accuracy or change POI, best way to find out is to shoot it.  ;) There are a bunch of accuracy tips in the FAQs to try, just do one at a time tho.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:07:21 PM »
Balat ,

Is this one of the newer H&Rs , if so your likely to have the 1 in 9 twist rate barrel .. Should this be the case then find a box of the Hornady TAP 75g 223 ammo and enjoy ...

That ammo gave me consistant groups that could be covered up with a dime , I had mine rigged up with the rubber "O" ring to float the forearm off the barrel and thats it .

Now like Tim mentioned , anytime you place pressure or adjust pressure or hell even change a scope out you need to resight in due to barrel harmonics being changed , Its not always horrible but can throw off a favorite load enough to frustrate a man something special ;) Just try your loads with out any unneeded pressure on the barrel forearm area , then with it to make a educated call on weither it may be messing with your rifle. Most of us run a spandex shell holder or the leather butt stock bullet sleeve for the fast extra shells.

Hope that helps you out,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Balataspin

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:11:47 AM »
Yea, it is one of the newer guns and it is 1 and 9. I'll have to give some of the Hornady a go I was shooting the HSM 69 grain and the BHA 75 grain. It definately liked the heavier bullets. The 69 grains did better then the 75 grain. I did find one of the neoprene washers this weekend so I'll stick that in there and see if I can find some of those Hornady. Is everybody using sandbags to shoot off of or you all just that good?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:54:04 AM »
Most use sandbags to check the accuracy of the rifle, some use a bipod, I use a mechanical rest that's adjustable so it positions the front rest under the frame just ahead of the trigger guard.

Tim

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »
Tim: Which rest is your favorite?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
The Leadsled DTF, it's kinda heavy to pack back and forth to the bench, but it works real good, tames recoil too!!

Tim

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
Tim:I like the bottom rest

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
Tim I like the bottom rest too, what is the Mfg ???

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:39:31 PM »
It's a Cabela's Premier Rifle Rest.

Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0020904227856a.shtml

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:54:18 AM »
The Cabela's is a nice rest, no doubt.  The Caldwell will tame down just about any recoil - it will handle the recoil better than the Cabella rest. I have the Caldwell DTF also, and it adjusts very easily and shoots accurately to boot. If I have any issues with recoil, I just slip a couple of sand bags or lead shot bags and it is a pussy cat. It is amazing what 50 pounds of shot will do to tame recoil. Tim had the Cabella's first now he prefers the Caldwell.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.