Author Topic: WHERE WOULD YOU HUNT OR PLACE A STAND?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
WHERE WOULD YOU HUNT OR PLACE A STAND?
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
NORTH goes threw some brushy open fields and then the road curves East

EAST is all fields and face high brush style areas.. real thick for about a mile with 10-15 apple trees near the last 1/4 mile..

WEST is a main state road then some thick fields mixed with some tall brushy areas with the creek turning North with the village past that.

SOUTH is a sheep pasture in the summer till fall, with real thick heavy areas on the east end outside of pasture, then a shallow but wide creek runs along the south across the road about 1/4 mile down ..past that is open field ( hay ) then road

my hunting land ( 30 acres inside the blue border ) is a lot of tall brush style area, a few trees big enough for stands...

the SouthEast area is some small ( 3-6 inches thick ) hard wooded blowdown mixed with thick brush.. 
east and part of the North boarder have small rock fence-wall ( 2-3 feet tall )

just curious where you all would hunt this style land any suggestions or comment welcome.. thanks all

also the brushy fields inside my hunt area ..would you mow them down or let them go wild.. i have small areas i mowwed.. was thinking about mowing a lot of areas to open it up..but think that might make less cover for them and they wont feel as secure..   thoughts??

I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: WHERE WOULD YOU HUNT OR PLACE A STAND?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
You don't mention primary wind direction which you best take into consideration. If like around here it's generally from the west or NW then you need to enter from the opposite direction of wind and hunt so game won't smell you. If they smell you it's all over.

I'd likely try to find a tree somewhere on the eastern half near one of the forested areas that would let me look down into the thick lower brush expecting the deer to come from the forested bedding areas to the thick low growth which likely has food and where they'd feel safe during the day time but that's just looking at the map. I'd want boots on ground to be sure.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
wind is generaly from the N / NW

the only access to the land is from the main road..  the south end is to thick to walk with any stealth with pricky brush mixed with small hard wood..
I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
That is BADwith a capitial B.

In that case you are more or less screwed from the get go as you're gonna walk right thru the area you need to hunt and leave scent on the ground. I guess knowing that I'd cut me some trails along the north and south boundary lines and decide each day if I was gonna hunt the north or south half and walk in on the other trail to the stand site chosen for that day. It has been my experience that if you have to walk thru the area you expect deer to come from to you ya don't shoot a lot of deer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:35:28 AM »
I would look to see if the deer are using trails through the area and set up a stand on those trails.  Especall where two or more trails converge.
I would also set up the blind a few weeks in advance of deer season as not to disrupt thier patterns and leave the stand there and plan to be in the stand (s) all day.  Best to know that they move through your property to water or from food to water.
Another idea is since it is only 30 acers pick a spot in the middle and get a good texas tower and a beanfield rifle and cover the whole area.
good luck.

Offline Blue Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:06 AM »
On the ground scouting would tell the tale.  Trails are important.  If they are faint or non existant Id make some well prior to season.  I don't see a good ambush point in the photos. but you can do a lot to improve your odds.   If it were my land, Id make some trails with some small openings and plant clover.  Then Id put a couple of tree stands at key locations, so I had a choice depending on wind direction.  It would take a while, but you could turn your property into your own little piece of heaven. 
I have 40 acres that I have been working on for 20 years.  Its fun and pays back in a lot of ways.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
On new leases I usually start by scouting the parameter and work my way to the center. If it has a parameter fence it makes the job of finding trails easier. Small areas are also much easier because you have less options they are easier to cover.
I would not open it up to much, but mowing some intersecting strips and planting food plots on them has worked well for me.
Stand placement really does depend on a lot of variables like wind, natural deer movement, enhanced deer movement, ( food plots, feeders, hunting pressure on surrounding property....) natural browse, terrain, time of day you will be in the stand and the type of stand you will use. Even on small property it is important to have more than one stand option.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356