Author Topic: Restocking the H&R Buff Classic  (Read 458 times)

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Restocking the H&R Buff Classic
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
Has anyone out there put an aftermarket stock on their BC or Handi Rifle? I thinking nice walnut with pistol grip and a wide buttplate and a nice straight, full comb to help dissipate recoil -- the British pattern.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Restocking the H&R Buff Classic
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »
I think Stuffit's pic of his GSI walnut roll over stocked BC is in the FAQs thread. I've cut the butt off on one of em and added a Limbsaver pad, the other I just use a small Galco slip on.

Tim

I've done one for my BC in the style you are looking at.  Their wood is good looking and gratifying to work with.  Wiscott's time estimate sounds about right though I actually have no idea at all of how much time I put in mine.  These are good folks to deal with and helped me a lot in getting started as this was essentially a new venture for me.  I got the limbsaver recoil pad on mine. 

I took pictures all along the way after every few coats of Tung Oil finisher compound, and after several coats of LInspeed.  Actually, after I steel-wooled the last one, I liked the "burnished" look and stopped there for a while.  I do need to get some updated pictures.  (get the "new baby" analogy here  lol).  There is a gunsmith locally that uses a polymer based wax for his final finisher and I'm considering eventually going back and maybe winding up with that. 
 :wink:
stuffit

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
These rifles look nothing short of magnificent! Geez, talk about master craftsmen. If the rest of us want to restock anything in the future, you guys have certainly set the bar really high.

Offline dieselten

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »
I used a stock set from GSI, turned out pretty good I think.