Author Topic: I still have the bug and then some  (Read 766 times)

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
I still have the bug and then some
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
Here is the video of the 30mm 1/2 scale along with our new softball mortar. I am still working on the carriage for the mortar. Let me know what you think.

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_MozZxsROI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_MozZxsROI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJl61xUvJeg&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QJl61xUvJeg&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
"Common Sense IS NOT An Inherited Trait"

JT

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: I still have the bug and then some
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
Good looking guns. I like their voices. How far did the softball travel or was it a blank?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:33:15 AM »
Mortar SOFTBALL to go with the mortar BINGO!

Hmmmm.  Not underhanded.  Not slow-pitch.   ???  Something new!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:12:18 AM »
 Lemme see here..... You and NitroSteel now have...

1. A golf ball mortar

2. A softball mortar

3. A BOWLING BALL mortar

4. A 30mm rifled Parrott

5. Private land to shoot 'em on

You guys trying' to make us jealous? It's working  ;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »
Actually, there are two bowling ball mortars and you left out the golf ball cannon. It was the one that started all this mess to begin with. Smoothbore barrell + golfball = one heck of a slice!   ;D

The softball mortar only manages about 300 yards at a 60 degree angle but I would have to guess it went about 2500 feet high. The NTSB would have a field day with that one.  ???

JT

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
Victor,

BTW, I still have 3 pieces of 30 mm and one 50 cal barrel left to make more stuff.  :D

I hope to have a deck cannon done shortly after I finish my mortar carriage.

JT

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
Unlike a flu bug; this isn't something that can be cured. You'll always be afflicted with this bug.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 02:49:42 AM »
Unlike a flu bug; this isn't something that can be cured. You'll always be afflicted with this bug.

This is so true! I haven't had a cannon or mortar since 2002 yet here I am!  at this site discussing artillery,

and working to change my non cannon status.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
Victor3,

The shot from the Parrot was using one of the bullets from your mold.  They work great, however 300 grains of powder is really sort of weak in the "boom" department, 400 is much better.  More than that causes TREMENDOUS recoil, much more volume, and hence structural damage to the oak carriage (don't ask me how I know...).  The Parrot is back in the shop waiting on new "cheeks" to be cut out and painted...

I'll tell you the truth, it seems that shooting mortars is much more fun than shooting cannons.  Easier to load, reload, clean, and you can see the projectile (usually).  I think the best projectile for the softball mortar is a concrete filled disposable propane cylinder.  These seem to fit just about right and are heavy enough to carry a good distance.  The softballs are a little bit too loose, but work and are require no "prep work".

BTW, I didn't know BornSouthern34 had "the bug", I can HARDLY EVER get him out to shoot...

NitroSteel

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:47 PM »
Victor3,

The shot from the Parrot was using one of the bullets from your mold.  They work great, however 300 grains of powder is really sort of weak in the "boom" department, 400 is much better.  More than that causes TREMENDOUS recoil, much more volume, and hence structural damage to the oak carriage (don't ask me how I know...).  The Parrot is back in the shop waiting on new "cheeks" to be cut out and painted...

I'll tell you the truth, it seems that shooting mortars is much more fun than shooting cannons...

NitroSteel

NitroSteel,

My recommendation of 300 grains FG was what I considered to be an ultra-safe charge, based on a number of considerations relating to your gun/projectile. The "boom department" was not one of those considerations.

You may want to use lighter loads and strive for accuracy out of the Parrott; you've got the boom factor well covered with some of your other creations. Can you hit something smaller than a shipping container with them though?  :)

I agree on the mortars. I shoot them more often than the cannons I've got. However, that will change as soon as I can get some accuracy out of the rifled cannons I'm working on. The 12 ga French 75 is just about ready to go, and I hope to actually be able to hit something with it past point blank range.

Anyway..... Fire, smoke and recoil are a big part of what makes model artillery, well, a blast. Being able to hit a small target can be just as impressive...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Bornsouthern34

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
Wow, Nitrosteel on GBO. I haven't seen that in a while. And as for not shooting, if he didn't live in BFC (The C is for Clyatteville) I might be able to get out more.  ;D  He does have it made though, he is able to walk out the back door, shoot off the mortar and noone give a crap. Wish I were that lucky. :(

JT