Author Topic: Who made this scale model carronade?  (Read 873 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Who made this scale model carronade?
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure I saw these advertised about 25 years ago, available from UK.  I'd like to know who made them.  No powder can available during photo session, but barrel nominal length is 8.5 in., full length of barrel is 11.5 in. (includes all behind basering.)  The bore is 1.0 inch and the piece is chambered and vented, but dont' think was intended to fire since vent is to scale and will not admit any fuse you can get in normal civilian channels.  The only inauthentic part is the lack of a false muzzle-the thing is bored at a constant 1 inch until you reach the chamber.  Oh, there are no markings on the barrel either. 

I'd like to know who made these?

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Re: Who made this scale model carronade?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:35:20 AM »
Possibly should not rule out it being product of Model Engineering Club,the Eighties were the heyday of these clubs schools and Colleges boosting funds by running classes etc.I went to some exhibitions and skill levels were very high.          just a thought.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
No clue as to maker, but it's a fine looking model. Where the paint is worn on the breech ring, it looks like smooth metal, and I can't detect any parting lines; is it made of cast iron, or steel?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »
TDC full length looks like a parting line to me.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »
is it made of cast iron, or steel?

Boom, not trying to be a wisearse, but the only way I can answer the question is "yes."  Wish I could tell for sure.