Author Topic: Sportster with .22 Shorts  (Read 2013 times)

Offline covejeepsxj

• Trade Count: (3)
Sportster with .22 Shorts
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:11 AM »
Looking for a backyard vermin getter. How do the .22 sportsters shoot with shorts or cb's? I don't live in a city or anything like that just would like a quiet yet effective solution.

I have a .17HMR and am not sure weither to send it off to get it fitted with a .22 barrel or to purchase another sportster. Is it possible to get a .22 heavy barrel without sites?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Sportster with .22 Shorts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:55:34 AM »
I think the 22 barrels, (Not the Mags) say 22 LR only.  Reason is, you can get a short in the chamber with the ejector on top of the rim, when you close the rifle the short will fire, not a good thing.  I suppose if you took care to load it properly it would shoot as well as any rifle that has a chamber cut to load a long rifle.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline covejeepsxj

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:39:07 AM »
I think the 22 barrels, (Not the Mags) say 22 LR only.  Reason is, you can get a short in the chamber with the ejector on top of the rim, when you close the rifle the short will fire, not a good thing.  I suppose if you took care to load it properly it would shoot as well as any rifle that has a chamber cut to load a long rifle.  Larry

According to there site they are .22 S, L or LR.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:55:28 AM »
My Sportster shoots great with Aguila Super Colibri's which are .22 rounds loaded with no gunpowder, just the primer sends them on their way. They are perfect for shooting backyard critters, the sound is no louder than an air rifle.
BTW the Sportster can shoot all 3 - shorts, longs and long rifles.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline covejeepsxj

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:59:36 AM »
My Sportster shoots great with Aguila Super Colibri's which are .22 rounds loaded with no gunpowder, just the primer sends them on their way. They are perfect for shooting backyard critters, the sound is no louder than an air rifle.
BTW the Sportster can shoot all 3 - shorts, longs and long rifles.

Thanks!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:21 AM »
Is it possible to get a .22 heavy barrel without sites?

Maybe on the heavy barrel, it's been discontinued, but they may still have some in stock, give em a call, toll free (866) 776-9292.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline covejeepsxj

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »

Maybe on the heavy barrel, it's been discontinued, but they may still have some in stock, give em a call, toll free (866) 776-9292.

Tim

Will be my first call when I leave work!! <crossing fingers>

Offline covejeepsxj

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »
Called them this afternoon. They don't have any more .22 heavy barrels left. I got a quote for a .22 normal taper barrel, but at $61 + $3.66 (tax) + $20 (fitting) + $17 (shipping) + the cost of the shipping the receiver to them, I believe I will just shop around and try to find a .22 sportster locally.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
That's the caveat of buying rimfire accessory barrels, usually you can get a complete rifle for not much more, Bud's sells it for $137 shipped.  ;)

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/672/products_id/89110

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
That's the caveat of buying rimfire accessory barrels, usually you can get a complete rifle for not much more, Bud's sells it for $137 shipped.  ;)

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/672/products_id/89110

The down side is that I use the 22 LR & mag barrels for donors to re-chamber , then I have extra RF frames and nothing to put on them .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline covejeepsxj

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »
Believe me I have been trying to resist hitting the "Buy Now" at Bud's. I am gonna search local for it first though.

On similiar news, I just mounted an Intensity Optics 6.5-20X44 on my .17hmr Sportster about 10 minutes ago!! Scope seems that it is very nice quality for the price and I feel that it looks good perched on top. I was worried that that large of a scope wouldn't look "balanced". (It ended up a tad bit higher than I would have liked though.)

Offline oldguy65

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 07:21:48 AM »
I've found that 22 shorts give me the best pattern,especially Aguilar match shorts however can't find those
now.

As a side note I wrote H&R to ask or request a bull barrel they do not have but in my opinion since they produce a 17hmr heavy it would seem a minor issue to bore out to 22lr,some of my accuracy issues I have with Long rifle is I believe barrel vibration, may give the Simms Resonator a try.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
As a side note I wrote H&R to ask or request a bull barrel they do not have but in my opinion since they produce a 17hmr heavy it would seem a minor issue to bore out to 22lr

From the Accessory Barrel page...

We do not sell barrel blanks or do custom calibers.

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:31:36 PM »

You can't get too much scope.LOL.My 17M2 sportster.Mueller with 2 shades.If you like your 17HMR find you a 17M2.Slow

Wrong post sorry
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce