Author Topic: This is likely the wrong place to be asking this, but.....  (Read 2942 times)

Offline 1894cfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
This is likely the wrong place to be asking this, but.....
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »
What is the best/most effecive 12 guage shotgun load out of a 18" barrel for home defense? I currently have #6 2 3/4 loads loaded. TIA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: This is likely the wrong place to be asking this, but.....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:46:28 AM »
#4 Buckshot.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:36:41 AM »
I like #1 buckshot, with a couple of slugs in the side-saddle.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »
with Mikey on that one.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
If you live in and appartment building, or have family members scattered through the house, I would stick with the #6 bird shot - deadly at close range, where most self defense shootings take place, but not as apt to penitrate walls and injure unintended targets.  You are not going to be taking shots past about 25-30 yards in this setting.

Now, if you live in the country, or have no kids scattered thru the house, then #4 or larger buckshot would work well, with a few slugs as back-up, in case it leads to a heavy cover - distance situation.   Just remember, its a lot easier to claim self defense shooting someone in your bedroom at 3am then it is, say, in an extended gun battle outside your home at longer distances in a parking lot.....  More then a few courts have held that once the immediate use of force to defend life is over, and you have the oppertunity to safely escape, and you continue to persue the persons involved, and to use deadly force, the claim of self defense becomes in-valid.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
I recently seen a demonstration with a solid rubber slug.  It will kill someone close up, but out 20-25 feet will only deliver a brusing blow that should convince most to STOP.  For safety reasons I have been thinking of buying some, loading the gun with the normal 00 Buck, and putting a rubber slug in the chamber, It may prevent doing something I would be sorry for later, like shooting a grandson who had slipped in because he had too much to drink, this happened to a friend, he nearly went crazy after killing the boy.

I know most people say that won't happen to me, but it can!  Like the cop that recently shot his wife in Ohio after being aroused by her coming through a window while he was half-a-sleep, it can happen.  Generally, you are sound asleep wake up and respond without being fully aware of the situation.

I am not opposed at busting a bad guy's butt, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:43:40 AM »
 drunk grandson sneaking in or a wife(  ::)) coming thru the window,...............   fine state of affairs IMO
Bigeasy: A lot of jurisdictions see it that way and so do I.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:53 AM »
this has  been  ask   and  answered  many  times
the  best  answer  was  on  here  and  they  posted a link

# one..........my  dads  old favorite
             #1 is  the  smallest  size  that will give  12inches penetration reliably
             #1  being the smaller  gives  more  hits...or probable hits
         this  link  alco got  into  the total surface  area  of  the  holes
          while still  giving  the  FBI  required   penatration

so  the question  is  ''THE''  best......blanket question

i  thought ooo tripple ot  was  dumb....only 8 pellets
then  i tried  it.....my  gun  loves  it    16 inch  pattern at  100ft
you  gun may  be  different

your bird  shot  might   suit  your  needs  better than any buckshot

i would  make a choice and stay with it
don't  want  to fumble  with  different shells  under stress   
if  it  ever  happens
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline tripper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
Maybe houses around here are realy small but I don't see anyone being able to shoot more then  30 -40 ft. with in a house without shooting through a wall.  And as was mentioned, once the perp makes a run for it you longer have a self defence condition. At in house range I think heavier bird shot would do fine. Lets face it, at 20 to 40 ft. there will not be much spread to the pattern.
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:43:56 AM »
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm
You gotta check out "the box o truth" site and see the mulitude of penetration tests he has done. Sheetrock walls stop nothing and birdshot makes an ugly wound but not enough penetration. I find it fascinating and hope someone else does to.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:38 AM »
I used to live out in a rural area and kept my mini14 ready as well as the 12 g shotgun loaded with #1 buckshot.    The #1 gave the best patterns out to 40 yds with my mosssberg. Kept two slugs in a side saddle as backup.    

I have since moved into a suburb and the mini14 stays secure.   The mossberg now is stoked with #6 birdshot/turkey loads.   At 20 ft it shreds a fist size hole in the target.   Any closer and the pellets become in effect, a slug.  They stay tight out to 30 yds which is longer than any hall in my house.  

As others have said your load will depend upon where you live and what kind of construction is in the walls.  
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm
You gotta check out "the box o truth" site and see the mulitude of penetration tests he has done. Sheetrock walls stop nothing and birdshot makes an ugly wound but not enough penetration. I find it fascinating and hope someone else does to.

Thanks for the link to that site....good info I am going to have rethink a little.....
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »
00 buck , #1 is hard to come by lately. Bird shot makes no sense to me . If every shot you know you will make is a center chest shot across a double bed then maybe . If you need to shoot thru. a door , wall or other obstruction you are screwed . If you wait to figure out safe lanes of fire after the attack starts again you are screwed . If you live in an apartment with only 2 layers of 3/8 sheetrock between you and next door then maybe a 12 ga. ain't the best choice maybe . There is a site called in the box where they test shotgun loads going thru. sheetrock and its worth watching if it is still up. Be warned if you watch it you might switch to buck. I have had 2 instructors warm not to use bird shot , they both say they can put a fist thru. a sheetrock wall but not a chest so why would they want to use a load to shoot someone that needs stopping with a load that won't go thru. a sheetrock wall .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »
I have had 2 instructors warm not to use bird shot , they both say they can put a fist thru. a sheetrock wall but not a chest so why would they want to use a load to shoot someone that needs stopping with a load that won't go thru. a sheetrock wall .

I'm not sure about this comparison, but I would gladly take a strong mans best punch to the chest instead of a load of #6's at 20 feet........   Or go ahead and shoot a penetrating load, like a 9mm fmj, into a sand bag.  Goes in about 2 -3 inches and stops.  The same round will penetrate a human torso thru and thru almost every time.....So..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 03:12:49 AM »
Bigeasy , i admited up front across a double bed it might work ok but add any obstruction and the bets off . I have seen a friend  shot at 15 yards with 7.5 shot and got little more than a good stinging due to carhartt bibs and leather boots .Seems a guy was rabbit hunting near our construction trl. and didn't notice my friend drive up and get out to go in the trl. for material about when the dogs run the rabbit by the steps of the trl.  If the attacker was wearing a heavy leather coat or carhartt work coat i don't want to take the chance . BTW saw a man hit another in the chest once and kill him , didn't go thru. though .
Bird shot to a 9mm  bullet i don't know either .
My point is be ready for worst case .

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »
If bird shot will not penetrate a sheet rock wall, it will not penetrate a human far enough to hit any vital organs. The last Mossburg catalog had an article where they tested this. Less than 2 inches of penetration at 5 feet. The result was, bird shot is fine -- if attacked by pigeons. If your life is on the line, then #4 BUCKshot is the smallest. There is a reason why the police use 00 buck. The bad guy might have on a jacket, he will probably be moving, he can duck behind furniture, etc., etc., etc., and you sure don't want wimpy little bird shot. If he stands there perfectly still and lets you shoot him in the face . . . well, that ain't gonna happen. The guy slightly wounded by bird shot will blow you away.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
Since that birdshot is still pretty much one lump of lead at close range, wouldn't the impact alone knock the intruder on his keester without any significant penetration?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
But it's not one solid mass (lump) of lead or that would be a slug. It's a bunch of tiny individual pieces of lead. The result is a lot different.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 12:50:10 PM »
like  i said.....#1  is  the best.....performance wise

12  gage  IN  the home.....any thing  will  work

bird shot  is safer...that might make it  ''BEST''

slugs  have more range..that  might make it  best
but  then  you just have a short range rifle
but  inside  you home......they   all  will pattern and shoot like a slug
a  slug can pass between  and arm and torso.....total miss.....shot  and its a hit

i  like  ANY buck shot  just  #1 the best
but  it  is harder  to  find  and  probly  not worth  the trouble
the  difference   within   your  home  are  insignifegent
get  whats  on sale  so  you can get  more of it

i  am  totally against  switching  shells  under stress buck,slug  non-lethal ect
pick   a load  and stay with  it and practice with  it
i   used  to load  my revolver  with 2 birdshot loads
for  snakes  or a face shot  in a carjacking  etc
but  decided  it was  more  to think about  if  i was  realy  attacked
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline LouisianaMan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
Buckshot.
When I patterned my 11-87 one day with different loads, I got a great feeling for recoil, pattern density, and range with the several loads. To me, that's the ONLY way to choose.

For 12 gauge, I'm happy with #1 or #4, depending on the layout of the house, distance to neighbors, etc. If ranges may be somewhat longer, and overpenetration isn't an issue, 0, 00, or even 000 might be in order, but I think of them primarily for hunting. (Legal here in LA for deer.) Recoil is more severe and pattern too tight for my taste on potential indoor shots under 50 feet or so.

I use a 20 gauge now. It has #2 or #3, I forget which is in the 2 3/4" shells I use. The 3" shells have the other size, but I find I stroke the action far quicker, smoother, and more reliably with the 2 3/4". Also, the thump of a 3" shell in a lightweight 20 ga. is not what I want to deal with in a crisis, whereas follow-up shots with 2 3/4" are far easier.

So, IMO you should forget birdshot (unless in an apartment) and see which buckshot feels best & patterns like you want, in your gun.
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »
If you shoot anyone with any shotgun load under 30 feet away, he will forget all about what he was intending to do before he got shot.  Unless someone sent a Ninja assign to kill you, you will have succeeded in deterring him.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »
I have been keeping up with this and find it interesting.
My situation requires no concern for penetration---brick house and no children.
I use Buck.
I am really thinking about a 410 and buck.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 02:19:24 AM »
WL, winchester has a 3 inch shell with 5 - 000 buck at 1200 fps , i have killed deer when only one 000 buck hit it . Out to 35-40 yards that load might work if you get a good hit , keep in mind that buck shot is more effective with multi hits , the more shot you send toward the target the more possible hits you can expect . in a house not as much an issue really . Unless you live in a wharehouse size home .

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 04:25:11 AM »
I have been keeping up with this and find it interesting.
My situation requires no concern for penetration---brick house and no children.
I use Buck.
I am really thinking about a 410 and buck.
Blessings

get   a 20 ga if your concerned with recoil
unless  your considering the tarus judge

but  i am  sure  the 410  will  work  fine  too
i  like shooting my  410s   just  the smaller ammo cost  more
and  that ruins my fun

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 04:44:29 AM »
O F Mossberg makes a 410 pump with the last few inches increases to 12 ga . guess for intimidation or something .

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »
Has anyone checked the penetration of Turkey loads or Goose loads with Hevishot?  Wonder if it would be better than birdshot, but not as powerful as #1 buckshot?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 04:56:50 AM »
t or f heavi-shot might be good but then you are getting close to 4 buck

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
I am close to living in a warehouse most of the time--according to the Hen.
Reason for the thinking on the 410 is it is a lot easier too wield in close quarters and I like sooting them thangs.
I always am thinking of screwy ideas.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 04:30:05 AM »
mossberg makes  the home defence  as mentioned
it  also  has a pistol grip pump  if you like that sorta thing

i  like  junior moedel  guns
they are  compact  but managable [i  am only 5-7]
the little bantom  mossburg pump 410  is cheap  at walmart
i  have  one of those
=======================================

except for the cost
have  you looked  at  that load  called
''dead coyote''
50 pellets  of some  heavy shot

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
got some dead cot... before it went to over $40.00 a box of 10 . A box of buck is still under$5.00 for 5 , do the math .