Author Topic: 180 Grain Hawk Bullets In 270 Weatherby?  (Read 250 times)

Offline macbullet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
180 Grain Hawk Bullets In 270 Weatherby?
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:31:07 AM »
Wondering if anyone has loaded the Hawk 180 grain bullets in their 270 Weatherby?  I have a German made 270 that has an extremely long throat that makes me think these bullets might be just the ticket, but to order them from Hawk you have to buy a minimum of four boxes at a cost of $165, which is a lot just to try them out.  Would anyone happen to have five of the 180 grain Hawk bullets to sell so I could do a little testing?  The only other heavy bullets I could find are the Nosler 160 grain partitions.  I would be interested in opinions on either of these (or any other heavyweight)  bullets from anyone who has used them in a 270Weatherby. 
Thank you.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 180 Grain Hawk Bullets In 270 Weatherby?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 02:31:45 AM »
All original .270 Weatherby Sauers used a 3/4" long freebore, that was the factory spec.  New Weatherbys have a 3/8" throat but you still can't reach the lands with a cartridge that fits the magazine.   My Mk-Vs shoot just fine with the long freebore.

The old Sauers had a reputation for good accuracy, although I don't know how many shot sub-moa.   What kind of accuracy are you getting with 'normal' .270 bullets?  What game will you be shooting?  The 180s are designed for heavy game and may or may not expand very much on small deer.  I'd do more load testing with 130 and 150-grain bullets.  Flat-based bullets often give better accuracy in rifles with long freebore than do bullets with long boattails.  FWIW, Weatherby used to load mostly Hornady bullets in their factory loads.

Offline macbullet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 180 Grain Hawk Bullets In 270 Weatherby?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58:11 AM »
Appreciate your reply Lone Star. Accuracy is acceptable, not great, 1 1/2" or less at 100 yards with just about any of the 130/150 grain bullets tried so far.  Haven't tried the 160 grain Nosler Partitions yet and I agree with you on flat based bullets.  The 180 grain Hawk's would be used on elk only.   The rifle has accounted for many game animals from mule deer to black bear and elk in the past, just heard about the 180's and was wanting to try them.