Author Topic: Removing Copper From Bore  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
Removing Copper From Bore
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:33:04 AM »
I know after doing a topic search, this has been covered previously. Any new members or those of you who have been here a while care to add your 2 cents worth? So, Here goes...........

Recommendations for removing copper from rifle bores.

What do you use?
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Removing Copper From Bore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »
Barnes CR-10 and JB Bore Paste both on patches with no brushes used. Cotton or wool mobs can be used to apply the Bore Paste to good effect.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 03:47:05 PM »
Have never found a quick solution.  Seems that it takes time, the proper chemicals, and elbow grease.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
I use foaming cleaners, no work at all, just apply it and leave it, wipe it out the next day. WipeOut works fast if you use their accelerator, works overnight without it tho.  ;)

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
This past week I went up to my high altitude shooting location to try out a few loads in a .270 Winchester.  I have a large tool box loaded with range accessories which goes with me.  My game plan is to run a brush in the bore every ten rounds, and when I finish for the day run the brush with bore cleaner ten times, then a patch with oil in case plan A does not happen.  Plan A, part two is using Remington 40X bore cleaner the next day at home.
Out at the shooting location I am using my life time supply of GI bore cleaner.

Following the advice of Barnes I cleaned the bore real good before switching to the Barnes TTSX bullets for the best accuracy.  From what I could see the bore was free of copper.  I had a good session with the Barnes bullets and was amazed at the accuracy.  Before leaving for home I used a brass brush and the GI Bore cleaner.  It was almost ten o’clock at night when I got home and was surprised at how much copper was in the bore.  It was interesting the bright glint given off the copper from the Barnes bullets over the dull color of standard jack material.

The next morning I ran a brush with a patch saturated with Remington 40X bore cleaner in the bore.  I let it set while I went for a bike ride.  When I returned I ran a couple three clean patches on the brush in the bore.  It cleaned up real nice.  For insurance I did do a second round, but I do not think it was needed.  The story of bore fouling from Barnes bullets was getting to me.

The GI Bore cleaner is bad stuff; it smells so bad that my cloths go into a separate wash.  The stuff does not do as good as job as the Remington 40X.  I have used the Remington 40X for a few years and it does a good job.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:08:54 AM »
Anybody used Hoppe's Benchrest copper solvent? Supposed to leave it in bore for only 10 minutes max. Does remove the copper, but it seems as though you never really get it all. Keeps sneakin' out on me. I am not lazy about getting my guns clean. In fact I am anal about it! Hate to admit it but it's true.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:23 AM »
I used to, love the smell, but foaming cleaners work much better tho, have for me for several years now.  ;)

Tim

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
I tried Forest Bore Foam when it came out.  Still have some.  Leaves a sticky residue.  Don't get out all the copper for me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »
Forrest, Gunslick, Outers, Hoppe's and several other foaming cleaners are all made by Milfoam, it's used world wide by the military, if you had a problem, you didn't use it right or it was a bad batch, I've used Gunslick and Outers with no problems, doesn't work quite as good as Wipeout tho.  ;)

Tim

http://www.milfoam.fi/

http://www.epicos.com/epicos/extended/finland/milfoam/handguns.html

http://www.milfoam.fi/Forrest%20foam%20statements.pdf

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
Tim when I get a chance I will give it a try. ;)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:05 PM »
Anybody used Hoppe's Benchrest copper solvent? Supposed to leave it in bore for only 10 minutes max. Does remove the copper, but it seems as though you never really get it all. Keeps sneakin' out on me. I am not lazy about getting my guns clean. In fact I am anal about it! Hate to admit it but it's true.

Yes it's Ok but not as aggressive as CR-10, nothing I've seen is really. I tried the foam stuff but no matter what I did it seemed to get all down into the action and was just a real mess to deal with. I gave up and decided it was easier to use CR-10 and JB.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »
Applying the foam from the muzzle is a problem, but if you use a length of tubing on the applicator tip to insert firmly in chamber to form a seal and a drink bottle placed over the muzzle, there won't be any mess, some foaming cleaners even come with the tubing installed, the Gunslick is the best buy I've seen, $13 for a 12oz can and it has the applicator tube.  ;) 

Tim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
I did use the tubing and inserted from chamber with muzzle at a sharp down angle. The mess still foamed back into the action and I swear it seemed like more came out there than the muzzle. I'll pass on the foam stuff. It took more time to clean it from the action than it takes me to clean a barrel with CR-10 and JB.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
I have been using the Hoppe's Elite copper remover. Smear it in wait ten minutes patch it out, clean with regular solvent and repeat till she's clean. Two cycles will usually get it out. If it's a real mess I'm not afraid to work it over with the JB Bore Paste either.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »
That's the nice thing about the foams, there is no "working it over", apply it and spend your time and ambition on something else, wipe it out the next day, it does all the work.  ;)

Tim

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
Try this method.  It works better than the foam or paste.  You will be surprised what will come out of your barrel.  Just don't leave it on long.  Twenty minutes is enough for a very fouled up surplus barrel.  I would think a commercial gun would only need five or so minutes.  You will have to take the gun out the stock, but it is worth it.  I had pieces of copper bubbling out some of my old Mosins.  It would have taken me months to get it out the old way.  The best part is it only cost a few cents.  I used an old cell phone charger and a steel rod, a piece of cork, some tape, and ammonia/water solution.  The video explains it all , but you can use electrical tape wrapped in three sections to keep the rod from grounding.  An old cell phone charger will work as most are only 3volts.  The white stripped is almost always positive but you can see a wiring diagram on the back of most chargers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S32C4SJ-NrQ

Offline the great orator

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 03:38:54 AM »
There's a product called "Eliminator" from Boretech.  No ammonia, it's safe to leave in your barrel, and knocks the crap out of copper fouling.  There's almost no smell so you can clean at the dining room table without your wife knowing, (unless you scratch the table...) and cleans up easily.  the only downside is you have to use plastic bore brushes because it will eat your bronze brushes. 

I've been using it for a while now and I'm completely happy with it's ability to pull the copper out of my barrels.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:04 AM »
I use the Outers Foaming bore cleaner with good results.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »
I also use Wipe Out and I like it, though I don't know if it works better than the other methods mentioned. I do know that for 1 of my rifles, which seem prone to copper fouling, the first application results in alot of blue foam (indicating copper removal). The most I've ever had to use it is 3 times (for the rifle prone to copper fouling when I haven't cleaned it in awhile) with most applications being twice (until the patch comes out clean) for all of my other rifles. I just spray it in the bore and go do something else. I also like the fact that it can be kept in the bore overnight. However, I hasten to add that I always remove the residual Wipe Out with carb cleaner and then oil the bore, despite what Wipe Out claims about it having rust preventive properties. It might do that but I'm not taking a chance. I've learned that, if you shake the heck out of the bottle for 1-2 minutes, all it takes is about a 1-second push on the spray nozzle and the foam expands all throughout the bore with just some coming out the other end of the bore. I also put a couple of paper towels tightly wrapped in the receiver end so that any foam that does escape does not drip directly into the action. One final caveat with Wipe Out: It will attack aluminum. So, I personally would not use it on rifles with aluminum receivers.