Author Topic: sighting devices/methods for cannons  (Read 1228 times)

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
sighting devices/methods for cannons
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »
What methods are used for aiming a cannon?  I'd though of taking a spare riflescope in rings and mounts, making marks on my cannon barrel and lining up the scope with the marks each time, looking through and sighting.  What methods do ya'll use?

I figure actually hitting something I was aiming at would make my cannon shooting more fun.  I'm usually pretty close after my first shot, but I'd like to be better.  I've been just looking down the barrel - windage I'm very close, elevation, I'm not...

Thank you,

NitroSteel

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: sighting devices/methods for cannons
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
Way up in the Stickies under Safe loads and cannon plans is instructions on how to shoot a cannon without sights. How to shoot the SAMCC Cannon

I was shooting with out sights this weekend, knocking down the steel targets with out sights and with only a post front sight.

And you are very right Smoke and fire is fun, but hitting something is even better...

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
 Someone here had a frame with scope attached that would locate on points of the cannon and then was removed after sighting. Pretty slick setup.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
OK, here it goes.  At the risk of exposing my ignorance about sighting a cannon, I too have a question.  Late this spring I got a dom Parrott.  It came with a great set of sights.  Being new to shooting cannons, I didn't let on that I didn't know how to sight the thing in.  My intentions were to set up a target and fire a few rounds and then adjust the sights to the average of the hits.  I am not aving much luck.  Can someone help me with the basics of using the type of sights that Dom uses on his Parrotts?  Thanks for the help.  I imagine that if I had been to the latest cannon shoot in Cut Bank someone could have probably demonstrated how to do it. :)

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:16:28 AM »
Spuddy, Do you know how to use a peep sight on a rifle?  Use the Dom sight the same way.

Oh yeah you would have got a demonstration of that sight at Cut Bank.  Rocklockput on quite a show with his.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:52:46 AM »
I use a simple pin front sight and the rear from a '03 Springfield rifle which has been epoxied on.  Works pretty well for me.  The cannon is my half-scale Napoleon which has been sleeved down to a golfball bore.

Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
that would be seacoast artillery there are 'datum points' in three planes on their mounts . of course they made the mount to index off the cannnon w/o any mods to the cannon .

it works very well . old weaver 10x scope .

Someone here had a frame with scope attached that would locate on points of the cannon and then was removed after sighting. Pretty slick setup.
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »
I set up my .75 cal from Ed Hart as a swivel cannon. I made the mount high, so I can slide in a piece of pipe under the barrel. This gives me a very close line-up, and works pretty well. Works two ways, 1), as a sight, and 2) as a level for the cannon in the mount. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
OK, here it goes.  At the risk of exposing my ignorance about sighting a cannon, I too have a question.  Late this spring I got a dom Parrott.  It came with a great set of sights.  Being new to shooting cannons, I didn't let on that I didn't know how to sight the thing in.  My intentions were to set up a target and fire a few rounds and then adjust the sights to the average of the hits.  I am not aving much luck.  Can someone help me with the basics of using the type of sights that Dom uses on his Parrotts?  Thanks for the help.  I imagine that if I had been to the latest cannon shoot in Cut Bank someone could have probably demonstrated how to do it. :)

I don't know the calibrations on the stadia sights like you show, but if it is calibrated the same way pendulum sights were, then the marks are 1/4 degree of elevation, each major division 1 full degree.  Estimate your range, read the elevation on your Table of Fire, say 1200 yards, 2 3/4 degrees (pulling numbers out of thin air as examples).  Set your peep to 2 3/4 degrees, use your elevating screw to bring your sights onto the target.  Trail left or right to point.   
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the help.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:36:12 AM »
Spuddy; why don't you contact Rocklock and find out from him how he used his sights: what mark on the post to set elevation........., etc.
Just a thought.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 05:02:30 AM »
Spuddy; why don't you contact Rocklock and find out from him how he used his sights: what mark on the post to set elevation........., etc.
Just a thought.

I had thought of the same thing.  I was going to wait until the afterglow of the "Cut Bank Open" was over to ask Gary.  I wanted to make sure he was thinking clearly.  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 05:58:16 AM »
well i have no clue what the marks on my sight repersent .

i walked them in and about the 4th shot it was very close . but your sights and mine are differant . as yours is mounted on trunion mine is on the end of the tube .

i had never just sat there and fired @16 shots b4 . the next day with the same setting i was short ??? there was a good crosswind on sun. it needed some windage ...but also it needed more elevation .

that crosswind not only blew them ,i think it also robbed energy over all as they were hitting way short on sun.

i'm sure i could have walked them in agian ,but only had three shots left for sun. i learned a lot from montana . long range shooting is a hoot . 8)

gotta contact my ball supplier for more . :o
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:48 AM »
well i have no clue what the marks on my sight repersent .

i walked them in and about the 4th shot it was very close . but your sights and mine are differant . as yours is mounted on trunion mine is on the end of the tube .

i had never just sat there and fired @16 shots b4 . the next day with the same setting i was short ??? there was a good crosswind on sun. it needed some windage ...but also it needed more elevation .

that crosswind not only blew them ,i think it also robbed energy over all as they were hitting way short on sun.

i'm sure i could have walked them in agian ,but only had three shots left for sun. i learned a lot from montana . long range shooting is a hoot . 8)

gotta contact my ball supplier for more . :o

How far were you shooting?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:38 AM »
550 yds

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 05:41:24 AM »
Might be a little bit off center of the topic, but if you watched the "Lock N Load" on the cannons, they used a couple of different methods of sighting the cannons, which seemed to work for the program. However, when it came to shooting the Mortar, is that a tried and true method, using a plumb bob on a string, lining up the touch hole, the barrel, and the target? That would give you a left/right line up, but then u have to figure elevation, amount of powder, distance to target, ect. Seems like too many variables to be an accurate method of sighting! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:36:49 AM »
Remember the Mortar is an area weapon...and we were all demonstrating that last weekend.  The two mortar impact zones were 50 foot diameter and with few exceptions we were all hitting within the circle quite easily.

I used a plumb bob to get sight line.  I used an inclinmeter to set the angle on the tube, then adjusted charge for range. 

When I used the plumb bob I was alway very close to the sight line.  To fine tune the plumb bob work great.  I also found standing 10-15 feet behind the smaller mortar allow you to see if the center line of the mortar (weight of metal?) was aligned with the aiming stake at the impact zone.

I never tried looking down the Monster Mortar, as I would have started telling M&T what to do and I didn't want to be stuffed in the tube and shot down range.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »
spuddy , your sight is like mine except for mounting .

the 'wheel with V grove in it' , is your V notch rear sight . front blade of course lines up with top of your V notch .

you can roll the windage V wheel back and foward and you always have the V notch because being a wheel with  V cut into it it doesnt need 'indexing' as there's always a V visable .

hope that helps .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
What methods are used for aiming a cannon? 
Thank you,
NitroSteel

I personally like using a Forward Observer.   ;)

Left 50, add 100, fire for effect, over.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »
It would have been extremely uncomfortable for a FO this past weekend in Montana

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
Depends how forward he was.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
Thanks, Double D for the info on Mortar sighting. I suspect that time and practice will improve a persons aim, like with most things. Once you have the line-up with the plumb bob, and your elevation, then, constant equal measure of powder should make a mortar pretty accurate. BoomLover

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 12:57:22 AM »
It would have been extremely uncomfortable for a FO this past weekend in Montana

On the contrary, the pictures posted show that y'all were GOOD shots!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:20 AM »

On the contrary, the pictures posted show that y'all were GOOD shots!   ;D

Yes but even a hard hat could not combat one of the BEASTS chunk of concrete.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium