Author Topic: Windows backup  (Read 742 times)

Offline Oldtimer

• Trade Count: (0)
Windows backup
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
I had to update a church accounting program today.  I did a backup first, trying to just use the Windows backup utility.  The total backup and recovery file was about 11.7 gigabytes.  The backup utility would stop at 4.1 gigs and put up a message that the tape was full.  I was using a 16 gig thumb drive, so I had much more space than was needed.  I did not find any way to change the source.  I eventually just backed up the administrator's documents and let it go at that.  Still it aggravates me that I was not able to do the full backup like I wanted.  Every time I go back to using Windows, it seems to go out of its way to remind me of why I prefer Linux.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Windows backup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
Format the backup drive first and try it again, for some reason Windows backup doesn't recognize free space on a drive if files have been just deleted, I've had it happen on my backup drive even tho I deleted the previous backup file, the only way I could use the entire drive volume was to format it first.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Oldtimer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Windows backup
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Tim.  I haven't heard from the parish administrator today (YET), so maybe I did not kill her computer.  Iwill try formating the usb drive and then have another go at it.