Author Topic: What cannon do you see?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
What cannon do you see?
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:40:53 PM »
I have piece of seamless tubing.

ID 1 1/2", OD 2 3/4",  length 16 inches.

What cannon do you see?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: What cannon do you see?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »
what cannon do I see? .............

It's hard to say from here.........

send it to the following address (pm'd)

and I'll let you know
  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:24:19 PM »
well ,you certainly have a good mold ....
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »
i would make it into a grasshopper gun with carriage .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:04:44 PM »
Outstanding thunder mug, needs very little added to make big noises.  Then the minor addition can be removed to make something else.  You could even do the absolute minimum and make a muzzle-ignited T.M., or ignite it electrically in the normal position with a squib on thin wire led down the bore.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
I see a Mt. Howitzer, or a Carronade, something that needs a powder chamber, because the walls are a bit thin, compared to the ID. "Course, I'm partial to the Mt. Howitzer, with the great little beauty the Irishman built for me! Li'l workhorses, they are! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
 First cannon thought of when the tube was seen.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
It would have to be something with a chamber with those relatively thin walls.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
Looks like a Mountain Howitzer in the rough to me.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline phantom

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
How about a cannon like this one..

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:34:17 PM »
The maximum diameter on a mountain howitzer (the base ring) is 7.6" so scaling that to 2.75" gives a scale of .3618.  The breech face to muzzle length is 32.9" gives a length of 11.9".  The minimum diameters (over the chamber and behind the muzzle ring) are 6.3" which scales to 2.28".

Now if you could add the base ring as a separate piece shrunk onto the basic tube, you could use 6.9" as the max diameter giving a scale factor of .3986.  The corresponding measurements would be 13.11" and 2.51".
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:30:11 AM »
Tell ya what, Double D, send it over and I'll see what it looks like after I finish it, then, you'll know what cannon I saw in it! LOL Just kidding, of course, but it does look like a Mt. Howitzer to most respondents of your question! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 06:32:14 AM »
How about a cannon like this one..

Hello Phantom,

Welcome to the forum. You've got a nice looking gun; what's the bore size, and what's that next to it?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:46:06 AM »
if it me i think i mght just look at it for a while .... it does look like a mt. howie .....but  , would you paint it , plate it ? , were there any iron ones ?

how about a 'mary rose' main gun....or the biggest iron breach loader you can doument onboard ? see just how good a seal modern machining get ?

or a full scale 'hailshot swible gun' .....

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:45:16 AM »
Tell ya what, Double D, send it over and I'll see what it looks like after I finish it, then, you'll know what cannon I saw in it! LOL Just kidding, of course, but it does look like a Mt. Howitzer to most respondents of your question! BoomLover

So what would you send back in return?

Offline phantom

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »
This is off topic but this is a pic of the two I built when I see a Tube the wheels start turning.. Both of these were built for under a hundred bucks each.. My other cannon is a Dom Carpenter Parrott and I was glad to have him build for me he does great work.. BoomJ the Bore is two inch with 1 1/2 powder chamber on the naval cannon. The trunionless barrel cannon w/carriage is golfball bore..

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
Phantom,

Thanks for the photos, and specs, (on the other thread too) you've got a fine collection growing there. I also looked at the vid on YouTube of you firing the Dom made Parrott; good show!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 05:27:15 AM »
Question being, what would you get in return...Of course, it would have to be a finished product, not a project in progress. But, would it have to be this piece? That would give me lots of experience at completing the project, and the benefit of that experience, however, I don't think I could afford the shipping expences or the machining/milling costs, too! I'll think about it, and see what I come up with. BTW, following your directions, I did complete a K.I.S.S. Mortar, using your general directions, with a few improvements, in Confederate style, with Port Orford Cedar base, entered it into the P.O. Cedar Festival this year, got lots of interest! If you could PM me an address, I'll send you pics. Can't post with WebTv, sorry! BoomLover

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 05:36:25 AM »
Can you send me pictures as an attachment to an email?

Did you ever figure out Bill's relationship to Rosalie?

What I had more in mind was something like seafood of the month delivered fresh to my door.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »
Douglas, PM sent, I'll call later, BoomLover

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »
"What Cannon do you see" has brought some others to mind. First, cut that tube in half. One half would be bored out, and fitted with a powder chamber plug, and a trunnion bar to make a nice Golf Ball Mortar. The other half would be cut in half again, and each would be plugged, trunnioned, would be used as powder chambers for a couple of mortars designed along the lines of the Florida Bowling Ball Cannon, from the thread back in 2003. Only the tubes would be from scuba tanks I rescued from a yard sale. Steel, 6 7/8" dia ID, about 20+" long after the bottoms were cut off. That would make the most use of this 16" long tube! Now, "The Catch of the Month" could be delivered to your door, fresh caught and filleted, flash frozen, overnight delivered, or in the "canned" mode instead.... something to think about? BoomLover

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 03:09:35 AM »
Jim,

Will one of those red plastic Folgers coffee cans fit down one of those scuba tanks? Are those scuba tanks steel?

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
Uh, those red plastic Folger's coffee cans? Perfect fit, including windage! And yes, these tanks are steel, at least my magnet sticks! Jim