Author Topic: Wolf 209 magnum range report  (Read 1765 times)

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Wolf 209 magnum range report
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:54:52 AM »
I purchased this cheap rifle figuring  if it didn't shoot good, I'd get rid of it and not lose much since I still have my Knight t-bolt.  I guess I'll gt rid of my Knght instead.  After 3 shots with spit patch after first shot I got a decent group @ 50 yds. with open sights.  I got lucky and after moving sight , shot 2 shots touching @ 2" high & 12 o'clock; perfect for hunting.  So far all I have shot was 295 grain P/B & 80 gr. BH-209.  I figured I bought the wrong primers (Rem Kleenbore) so I would use them up on the range  expecting slow or no ignition.  No problem with these muzzleloader primers.  I then spit patched the barrel again & tried P/B 338 grain platinum expecting it to shoot lower;  It actually was touching the other 2 @ 2" high just slightly higher.  Cleaning is a breeze with no noticeable fouling from primers (9 shots including 3 snaps prior to loading)  My questions are:  Do you think 80 grains BH-209 is  enough for deer up to 100 yards?  Do you think there will be any advantage using 295 grain copper A/T rather than 338 gr. platium A/T?  How much of a drop should I expect @ 100 yds?  What would you estimate maximum killing range & drop?  Thanks, Al

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Wolf 209 magnum range report
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:33:39 AM »
80gr bh209 i believe is roughly equal to 100gr pyrodex.  So yes, 100 yards, 150, 175 yards, Piece of cake.

Dont swab between shots with bh209, its not needed.

If the 338's shoot the same, i'd go with them as they are a much stronger bullet!  There is very very little drop difference betwene the 338 and 295gr.

2" high @ 50 with either bullet should put you directly dead on @ 100 yards.

With either bullet and a good scope and solid rest, 175 - 200 yards easily.  You just need to work on the range at those distances to see what each of those bullets will do.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:36 AM »
Here is how my Wolf shoots at 100 yards with 100 grains of 777 FFg and 250 gr. Shockwave/SST bullets; this starting with clean but dry and de-oiled barrel. No swabbing between shots.
1st shot: 1.5 inch high, but just above the 1" bullseye. 
2nd and 3rd shot: right dead on into the bullseye and touching.
Sometimes the 3rd shot gets 2" away, in any direction from dead center.

I can't tell you about trajectory on you bullets.

Overall group size is about between 1.5" and 2.5", most of the time 1.5". 

I tried this because i did not want to hunt with a fouled bore. I am now confident that i can hunt for 10 days with a clean barrel, and just run a dry patch at the end of the day.

The CVA Wolf is a better rifle than most people imagine, and accuracy is better then quite a few centerfires. Mine has a Nikon Slughunter scope.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
The CVA is an excellent rifle.  I have 2 of them and once broke in and seasoned, the are even better.  I have shot mine successfully to 250 yards with Powerbelts (250g) and 90grns of Pyrodex.  I will probably move away from Pyrodex to something less corrosive though.

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:19:13 AM »
I decided to mount a scope on Wolf to see how I like it.  After 5 shots with 80 grains  BH-209,  Rem kleenbore 209 primer & 295 grain PB A/T, got a delayed ignition.  I then dry patched the barrel and blew out the breech plug so I could see light.  I then shot 4 more shots without incident.  However, upon checking plug I could not see light so I unscrewed plug to find powder clumped in recession.  I doubt if I could have fired another shot without some kind of problem.  I intend to use Rem STS primers & heavier platinum PB's for hunting but will always be careful of this potential ignition  problem.  BTW, accuracy is excellent & I intend to leave scope on.  Al 

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
Last year I shot a very large doe that was faceing me with a 310 gr bullet at 50 yards, the boolit went thru the doe taking out its heart, lungs, liver and ending up just under the skin of the rear. I would think that your load would do better.

Offline CajunBass

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
I bought a Wolf a few weeks ago.  It came with a 3x9x32 Bushnell scope.  This is my first M/L by the way.

Salesman sold me a couple of packs of 295 gr powerbelt bullets, a box of 777 powder pellets, and a pack of Winchester 209 primers for the 777 powder.  He recomended two of the 50 gr pellets.

To make a long story short my first shot at the range was 1" high, about an inch left at 25 yards.  I fired a couple more in about the same area, then adjusted to get the group dead on at 25.  Moving back to 50, it was hitting about an inch high.

I found I had to clean it every couple of shots.  Any more tended to make it hard to load.  I was surprised that I could feel the deposits disolve as I swabbed the bore.

I'm looking forward to hunting with it in a few weeks.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
My brother dropped one of these on me for $20.00 and threw in all his power-belts; trip 7 pellets; bottle of pyrodex and some win 209 primers ... Couple years ago he let me take his bolt mag CVA off his hands and i played hell finding what it would group with (was using the normal 240/250gr sabot XTPs) and not what it would pattern ( like buck shot) with .. Question i have is this .. Does the Wolf rifle like the heavy wt. bullets like the bolt mag did ( 300+ grain bullets shine in the bolt mag) ... My brother said he was discused with the Wolfs accuracy and called it barely a 50 yrd rifle ... Any info would be helpful guys.

Thanks ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
every rifle has its own load, you have to experiment with powder/bullets/primers.

I personally would try 80gr pyrodex rs, 295gr powerbelt, winchester 777 primer

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »
Thanks Big,

I know what you mean about each rifle having its own loves and hates ... Just wanted to get in the ball park of what the little rifle might like better ... Bought 5 boxes of the Hornady 300gr XTP sabots when that was found to be the sweet load for the Mag-Bolt CVA i mentioned .. So I'll start there.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
if those have the right sabots, they will do great. All of my cva inlines like the 300gr xtp in a short black mmp-12 sabot