Author Topic: Handgun cleaning question  (Read 947 times)

Offline lostone1413

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handgun cleaning question
« on: September 30, 2003, 06:31:05 AM »
I just caught the last part ot the outdoor life networw and I seen were they have a product out now you soak your gun in and for the semi- autos it cleans them in all the hard to reach places. The said you can buy it in 1 and 5 gal buckets. I missed the name of it. Has anyone ever heard of it and is it good?? It showed them cleaning a Glock and the just put the whole gun in the bucket with the slide open then in a while took it out and just wiped it off and it was done. That way you don't have to strip the gun down all the time

Offline osceola

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 04:52:22 AM »
Suggest you send Outdoor Life Network an e-mail from their website:  www.olntv.com   They have a "contact us" at the bottom of their web page.
Be Safe!

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 05:16:50 AM »
I think it's called "dunk-it" or something like that.  My understanding is that it's used by some police departments as a convenient way of cleaning guns.  It's not going to remove leading or fouling as a thorough traditional cleaning will. I also would not want it on my revolvers or target pistols because it will dissolve the special purpose greases and lubes that are used on various contact surfaces of such guns. It seems to be good at what it's intended for, cleaning duty and defense autos quickly, if superficially.
Safety first

Offline texaseyes

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 06:38:51 AM »
Personally, I like cleaning my weapons. :D
My aim is to hit what I am shooting at!

Offline kciH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 01:50:54 PM »
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

These are the folks who sell it.  They also do excellent handgun work.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 05:34:13 AM »
Sounds like a good way to wash all the dirt and crud down into the trigger and screw things up!

Never fails to amaze me that the police departments are the first to cut corners on something that you rely on to save your Bacon.

Offline Questor

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 04:39:54 AM »
Duffy:

I'm with you. Cleaning a gun is not like washing a dirty dish.
Safety first

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 07:04:38 AM »
Guys,
You'd be surprised how many officers are not capable of field stripping their weapons for cleaning. This is especially true in large urban departments. When you have only a handfull of armorors, they can't strip and clean a couple hundred guns on quals day. The dip at least removes the powder residue and loose crud, and I hope it at least has a rust inhibitor/lube. In most depts the department's weapons are rotuinely disassembled, cleaned and inspected by the dept's armorors on a scheduled basis. If the issue weapon is a Glock or Sig, this should be enough to keep them functional. It aint ideal----but I'd say it has it's place.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Questor

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 11:33:13 AM »
ckknight:

I think there's another fraction of fun: reloading for them.  I actually like reloading as a pasttime so long as I don't have to do too much of it.
Safety first

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 12:04:59 PM »
Same here guys. When I'm not talking about guns, reading about guns, shooting guns, looking at guns, I'm either reloading for them or cleaning/tinkering with them-----It's an illness you know.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
Different Method of dunkin'
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 12:13:09 PM »
My agency purchased an ultrasonic gun cleaning machine. It is so easy to clean revolvers or autoloaders that its almost sinful. The basic unit looks like a small deep-fryer. The cleaning solution is placed into the ultrasonic machine, guns or major assemblies placed inside, then the unit is turned on for about 15min. When finished, excess solution is blown out of the firearm with compressed air.

Second step; a lubricating solution replaces the cleaning fluid. Machine is run for another 10 minutes. Remove firearms, blow off excess lubricant and you done.

Like magic.

VH

Offline onthetractat1645

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 12:00:40 PM »
I think it is POLYDUNK from cylinder & slide & it's expensive as hell! (like 100 bucks) I wouln't know if it works because the spray is only 3-5 bucks a can & reaches those nook & crannies too.  Besides I'm one with my guns & normally spend hours pissing off my wife...uh I mean cleaning my them, and who wants to take the fun outta' it.  It is kinda' pathetic that theose sworn to protect can't even learn to clean thier own guns (not all I know)!

-Just my thoughts!
Shoot safe & keep 'em tight!

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2003, 12:30:37 PM »
I'd say, that the percentage of people in LE that are gun people, is pretty well representive of a lot of other professions. To a lot of them the gun is taken for granted, much like the parachute, or the brakes on your car. Most of us know little about these things, yet our very lives depend on their operating properly. To those of us who are into guns, it's hard to imagine, but it's true my friend!
Stay Safe,
Savage