Author Topic: Latest Speer loading manual....... 45-70, 400gr JSP, IMR 3031 min/max ???  (Read 1110 times)

Offline fz4vgq

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello all,

Looking for some help. Wondering if anyone with the latest and greatest Speer reloading manual can tell me what the start & max loads using IMR 3031 with the Speer 400 grain jacketed flat point are for "Lever Action Rifle" data ?   My old 12th edition Speer manual lists 49.0 grains start and 53.0 grains max. All the data I can find online shows much lower than this for start and max loads for that powder/bullet combination....... it's got me a little worried because............

I have a bunch of rounds loaded up from awhile back. My data card in the box shows 50 grains of IMR 3031 with a COL of 2.540".  I remember this seeming to be a very stout load when shooting it through my Marlin 1895's years back.  I shot alot of these rounds through my 1895's.

Thanks,
fz

Offline paul105

• Contributor
Speer #14 (Lever Actions), shows same min and max as you cited above.

Paul

Offline fz4vgq

Thanks Paul   :)

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
...My old 12th edition Speer manual lists 49.0 grains start and 53.0 grains max. All the data I can find online shows much lower than this for start and max loads for that powder/bullet combination....... it's got me a little worried.....
You didn't look too hard.   ::)   Hodgdon lists the following in their on-line Lever Action data section:

400 Speer
Starting - 50.0/IMR3031
Maximum - 55.0/IMR3031

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Speer # 13  lists 49.0 to 53.0 gr of IMR 3031 for Lever Action pressure and 55.0 to 61.0C in Bolt and Single Shot only
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.