Author Topic: .25 ACP and Small Rifle Breech Conversions?  (Read 910 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.25 ACP and Small Rifle Breech Conversions?
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
Read the post below about the .25 ACP conversion, have to admit, sort of an interesting idea. Thought I read somewhere the guy responsible for the Savage was doing something similar with cut off 8mm brass or similar.

So does the use of .25 ACP brass seal the breach better, along the lines of a cartridge firearm?

Or, am I just as well off with the Vari-flame?

Anyone know if breech plugs are sufficiently standard that the TC .25 conversion would work in the Traditions I just ordered?

Wouldn't expect to do it until the original plug needs to be replaced, but seems like a really interesting idea.

Does the .25 ACP brass need to be resized after use? 

Also, are the .25's easier to extract after firing?

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
Re: .25 ACP and Small Rifle Breech Conversions?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
Yes, it seals better and is easy to remove.

No, plugs are NOT interchangeable, a T/C plug will fit a couple T/C models typically but not Traditions.

No, they do not need to be resized.

I like them better than 209s.

Offline Tracker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:52:42 AM »
+1 on what he said.

Offline Reese

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »
I used it in an NEF Huntsman for about two years.  Some things I had to watch out for were;

1) I re-sized and cleaned the brass to keep it from sticking on me.  Although the back pressure may be less than
it is rated for in a pistol,  it still swelled a little and would become difficult to remove the second or third
time I reused it.   I was using 90 gr FFg T7 behind a 250 gr XTP, not a hot load.  Others do not seem to
have this problem but I did.  I also got more blow by than I expected and that may have caused a
portion of the resistance.

2) I used new brass from Midway USA;

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=9133&categoryString=9315***652***670***9014***

I tried using once fired brass from factory loaded ammo and found that they are too short in my rifle.

3) I made it a point to fire each shell to make sure it was not too long or too short in my rifle.  I did not want
to be surprised in a hunting situation, again (see #2). 

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:20:32 AM »
This topic has been argued back and forth a few times here.

I personally like the conversion mostly for the fact that the .25 shells are a little bigger than primers and easier to handle with cold fingers. My encore shoots well with it also. 2-50 grain 777 pellets behind a 240 grain xtp.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?