Author Topic: Budapest Military Museum  (Read 2476 times)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Budapest Military Museum
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:28:50 AM »
already posted one of these (with comments).....just to show whether I like these or not I will post anything I feel will interest fellow cannon lovers.I learn from this forum,and am indebted to everyone who puts out information on it,I have a lot of photos but not a lot of info.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Budapest Military Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:54:08 AM »
Please! keep the photo's coming!  ;D

I know dan would love to have this...... It's bronze....  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:57:21 AM »
General Museum Area.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:21:09 AM »
Two Chinese cannons flanking side entrance, any markings,dates,embellishment or sighting marks/fittings I have gone after,I will try to draw attention to specifics but I got a lot to put out so might forget.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:58:47 AM »
putting out quite a lot of pics on these two only because they are Chinese,god knows what they doing in Hungary,not so many pics on each as I keep posting,DD will take direction from you if you feel I'm putting out too much.Latin and Hungarian feel free to come in with translation......I surrendered after amabo..amabis...amabint........bunt..........whatever.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:24 AM »
WoweeZowee!!!!!!!  That is a neat elevating device on that Chinese cannon. Great pics. Dan is going to want to take a trip.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:11:20 AM »
These are really great old bronze cannons! The embellishments in the workmanship add to the "flavor". Some cannon lend themselves to the "art" world quite nicely! Fancy words to mean works of art, I guess you could say. Taking a trip soon, Dan? If you have more pics, please do post them! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:15:36 AM »
not got near the good stuff yet......................just to give an idea...............

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »
Pics of some truly attractive ordnance, Carronader; it's a shame they didn't have bilingual signs, I'd love to know the provenance of the two Chinese guns, and the mortar.

BTW, what were you doing in Budapest, trying to track down the original James Bond in the hopes that he'd show you his "Scotland Forever" tattoo.

Is that a pack of some kind of funky British cigarettes placed on the ground for a scale reference?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
them's  Phillip Morris Hungarian style       better than the local grilled apple skin tabac.   I think the Dragon is reminiscing...........ex Soviet satellite state...........we've been some strange places and she has some weird family photos..........I don't ask anymore :-\    gonna finish off these two cannons and move on and don't be fooled by the pink nail varnish..................it's so yesterday...........I'm wearing green today     

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
Hungarian Phillip Morris fags, that just don't sound kosher, and I bet they taste worse; that's one habit I'm glad to be long rid of.
I still think it's a shame that the museum didn't have descriptions of the ordnance in English, it would have been nice to know the history of those two Chinese cannons; the ornamentation on them is incredible.
You didn't catch on to my James Bond reference. The second Bond flick was "From Russia Wth Love," and part of it was set in Budapest; Sean Connery is a famous Scotsman, and he's got a tattoo on his arm that says "Scotland Forever," get it. Never mind!
Ask your wife to maintain the proper decorum, cannon are not to be used as flower pots. :)
Thanks for posting the photos.

Hey, this just occured to me; do you have plans to head out to points further North to visit your wifes Mother Russia, perhaps even to St. Petersburg?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:40:49 AM »
Boom J  I got it  Connery is an East Coaster(enough said)   and a posy of wild flowers is the least of those cannons worries  loads of good pieces look like they been dumped by a Hyster jockey. and bad time to mention that movie...........more like ' From Russia With Malice of Forethought '  Cold War broke out in our house......hard to know what you supposed to have done when she blasts you with gobbledegook then refuses to repeat in English cause she's not speaking to you now. (sigh) 
 final two bronze cannons in courtyard ,separated by full pic then details for each,no information available.Lots of decoration and stamps though.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:43:24 AM »
second bronze

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »
More excellent pics C, your gonna have Dan droolin' with "Dolphin Delight." Those are some interesting royal cyphers, I wish I knew what fiefdoms they represented.

Maybe your wife would warm up if you took her to see "From Russia With Love?" No, on second thought, that plan could backfire, she might get even more miffed because they cast an Italian woman to play the Russian female role.

I didn't type fast enough, you missed my St. Petersburg question.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:11 AM »
about 6 years toooooooooo late...........and no, nope,no cannon pics.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 06:51:35 AM »
OOOOOHHHH , THE ERMITAGE

that must be the most beautiful building in the world
Ive spent 2 days in that museum some 10 years or so ago
still havent seen almost anything in it

someone made a calculation some years ago that if you should spend 3 min to look at each item in the ermitage you would need to spend several months there if you was there from they open in the morning until they close in the evening

so give me 6 months in st petersburg and I will check out the hermitage and the artillery museum  ;D
well maybe the women also  :o
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 07:22:34 AM »
Dan we weren't quite married at the time.........so I was being the dumb Romantic gentleman.......ooooo of course I want to go see all that frog furniture..........old masters paintings........Jewel Rooms...you know I didn't get to see one cannon    what with the shopping etc.   3 weeks I was there......groan.  BEAUTIFULL city though     

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »
Neat model  was in a glass display case about 4- 4 and a half foot long     ooooooo

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 08:56:51 AM »
I am pretty certain the Chinese cannons are part of the Verbiest series of guns; there are several in central Europe, in Coburg, Ingolstadt and Berne. The Ingolstadt example came from the 1900 European expedition. Maybe the Hapsburgs were part of it, it is not my period!

Bob Smith

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
Thanks Bob. I see that there is some interesting reading to be done on the Jesuit, Ferdinand Verbiest. I just got done looking at a few of the "Verbiest Guns" being housed in Roman museums, and they are very similar in appearance to these two Budapest cannons.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
so give me 6 months in st petersburg and I will check out the hermitage and the artillery museum  ;D
well maybe the women also  :o

Hey Dan, I'm going to be selfish, I'd like 6 months for the St. Pete Artilley Museum, and another 6 for the Hermitage.
As for the Eastern European women; all I can say is that by the looks of these ladies coming to the west, (models, actresses, tennis players, you name it) there must be something magical in the water there, but Carronader could probably tell us about at least one drawback; they seem to have very complicated temperaments. :D

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
well I sort of like them when they have temperament  :o
but ok, 12 months would be ok for me also
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »
Apologies if I get some of these mixed up,these are a line of basically neglected guns in the same area,and then you turn corner and another line of similar guns.Also this was about time the wife had enough and dragged me off.Came back single next day and had an amazing day.Gotta find something interesting in Portsmouth for the wife so I can go off with camera,without time limit. Anyway next bunch !

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 04:33:29 AM »
pic of barrel first........then pics of any detail.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 04:35:39 AM »
next two

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 04:44:16 AM »
anyone here who please can explain for me what we see at pic 760 , 762 and 763
Ive never seen anything similar before
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 05:03:37 AM »
have another one Dan  ;D

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 05:08:55 AM »
and again

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:35 AM »
EL GORDO  last one in the courtyard

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
anyone here who please can explain for me what we see at pic 760 , 762 and 763
Ive never seen anything similar before

Those are rifled breechloading (called a piston breech) naval guns of Swedish manufacture.

Austro-Hungarian naval guns-1860's