Author Topic: Budapest Military Museum  (Read 2475 times)

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Budapest Military Museum
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
he he he , now you know how much I know about cast iron guns ,
doesnt even recognize a swedish cannon  :o
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »
If you scroll down to p. 51 of the book, there's a photo of an earlier gun (M 1841) that shows the breech mechanism to better advantage.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 03:17:55 AM »
try to keep up girls............tsk tsk    these two flank main entrance
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
How dare you refer to us as girls, when you know damn well that we're adults; I'm of half a mind to report this insolent breach of politically correct behavior to Gloria Steinem, and/or the moderators of our forum.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »
tsk , tsk ,   ;D

can you give me a price on 'el gordo' ?  ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 03:46:18 AM »
Well, one girl was interested; my wife Ruth got very excited at those cast-iron guns with crowned crosses. She thinks they have trunnion marks and wondered if you knew what they were.

Bob Smith

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 05:03:17 AM »
Unfortunately not.One reason I took so many photos was the lack of information available and to try to assist in any subsequent questions concerning specific guns.While not absolutely positive no other marks were on each gun,I tried to capture anything which could be helpfull.I will run through all the photos again to check.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 05:29:34 AM »
all I have on this one

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 05:33:11 AM »
and all I have on this one...........more photos from inside museum to post but none have crown.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »
Carronader,

I would like to take this time to commend you for your almost selfless generosity in taking photos of cannons, and mortars to share with us. Many a man would have just sat on a rock in the couryard of a museum in Budapest, smoking their foul smelling foreign cigarettes while being berated by their wife, and been quite content to do so; but not you, and for this reason I for one, thank you from the bottom of my heart. :D

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »
I am humbled by your accolade Boom J.............My Mother would have loved your impeccable manners and demeanour. Now of course I have to sort the rest of the photos from inside the museum and get them out there.............and there is the attention of a certain Wee , Fat , Bald , chap...........perhaps you know him........hangs out at Seacoast...........sends cryptic messages in Pink...............well known trouble maker and delinquent..........He's bound to take issue with such civilised correspondence.Serious point is........maybe more people should put out what they have , photos - information - questions (especially Newbies ) without worrying too much about negative comments, resident ' Experts ' or............Delinquents. How the hell you gonna learn without going interactive. If the thread they post gains no interest it will just quietly die.This is a very sociable Forum..........not a damn university :-X  I thank you for your plaudits ,I have learned a lot about American 'stuff ' on here, it's only proper I share any hands on......local........material I come across.    ' Hands on ' attached below. ;D   

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
 :D This yellow fellow is my response to your post; doesn't it impress you how I ever so nimbly avoided walking into quick sand?

BTW, the chicken that you're fondling on the end of that cannon indicates that it's a 12-pounder. I think!

Rooster

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 02:35:36 AM »
no , that one looks much more like an eagle then a french 12 pdr rooster
at least I think so, have actually never seen one in real life what I can remember

ok Thomas , lets see the rest of the photos with the "bird" head cannon
but please make them a little larger then 50-60 kb
you got 2 mb space to divide by the pictures you attach (max 6 pic) for each post
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 06:09:57 AM »
Damn Swede !!!!!!!!!!!!!  you know how long it took me to resize all them so I had no probs posting them.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 06:41:53 AM »
First of two (look like eagles to me) inner courtyard.    resized for blind Scandinavians

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49:41 AM »
where is the rest of the pictures ??  muzzle dolphins decorations

was it a rooster or eagle ??  the pictures was so tiny that I couldnt decide  ;D

ok serious again
can anyone explain why they put a flash pan at the breach face when they drilled the vent in the mouth of that ugly man ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »
can anyone explain why they put a flash pan at the breach face when they drilled the vent in the mouth of that ugly man ??

No; but the vent hole was probably placed in the faces mouth to demonstrate just how incendiary words can sometimes be. ::)

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
Thanks for looking for that cannon; maybe someone with better eyesight can peer at the photo to see if they can make out the trunnion mark- best guess is either H or JF.

I am sure that last one is a Hapsburg eagle rather than a French rooster.

Thanks again

Bob Smith

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:41 AM »
All three of you are right, it's definitely an eagle. Bob, I'm not sure which cannon you're looking at, the only two iron cannons that I can see where the trunnion face has the possibility of being read are the 1st and 2nd photos of reply#38, and I think those are pics of the same gun; isn't that the number 10?

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
I think it was reply 24, picture-  0765- does look like an H

Bob

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »
second avian cannon in central courtyard..................ever the diplomat  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »
Now, that second photo makes it look like Foghorn Leghorn was in all probability the model for the gun founder that created the cascabel on this masterpiece. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
I think it was reply 24, picture-  0765- does look like an H

Bob

You've got better eyes than I, because I can't make out a thing on that trunnion (#24, 0765) face.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »
The one in question is a ten.............10      you wanna be carefull Boom J...........People gonna start thinking you got a sense of humour...........think of your image man..........don't throw it all away in a moment of impropriety..........you're a stalwart of sobriety...........an avenger of vulgarity............a bastion against bufoonery.............posting cartoons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   tsk tsk .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »
Vulgar indeed, you've got to be pulling my leg, Foghorn Leghorn is just one of the famous characters from the stable of other Warner Bros. Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies characters that have been featured in many classic toons. That the European gun maker that fashiond this cascabel, used the classically proportioned Foghorn profile as his model, is in my opinion, without questioin. The only mystery I've yet to solve, is how this gun founder knew of Foghorn before film and projectors were invented.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 02:10:20 AM »
only valid reason for waste of good bronze on this wee pot is as per following instructions................. Take pile of dry wood........place under pot.........light and feed fire as required........having blocked touch hole...half fill pot with water ..........take your haggis.........gently tease into sausage shape..........bring water to boil...........insert haggis and simmer for one to one and a half hours ..........remove , allow to cool for five minutes..........pour large glass of  'BALLANTINE'S' finest whisky.............relax and prepare to enter paradise...........pot as pictured below would perform perfectly. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »
wait for parridise ??? drink out of that , you might wake up dead . ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »
Gary,  just look at the pictures..........the pot is for boiling haggis..........you drink whisky from a glass...... 
  :-X
 the photos below were in bad light area,again no flash allowed.........could maybe import to photoshop and fix........if anyone is especially interested in these two I can see what I can do.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
i said i hold my hagius high with much pride  ;D ..........dont push it  :o......ny hagis is just for looking at and scaring off ner-do wells . and dodr to door good deed doers .

look i got a welshsman pinned to a wall . he's got a bug up his nose about something ????

i cant remeber if they are great friends ...or..... dred enemies ?

your call i can go either way ...... ;D or  :P

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
you be very carefull around welshmen...................no sheeplike noises           and Do Not.........repeat Do Not turn your back when wearing any wool products............this could lead to walking in a strange manner the next morning................you have been warned.............if he starts singing..........then nothing can save you.............  is their national sport./ hobby./pastime.................once they get goin....ain't no stopping them.