Author Topic: Looking for a youth .22  (Read 727 times)

Offline RIjake

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Yankee Redneck
Looking for a youth .22
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »
for my daughters to get started in shooting.  They are both lefties so I'm looking at left handed models.  I like the idea of a single shot and love my H&R shotgun. 

Does NEF/H&R make or have made a .22 single shot that has iron sights?  The only one I've seen requires a scope.  I'd really like to start them out with iron sights.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Looking for a youth .22
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »
I'm a lefty and I have an H&R .22 LR Sportster. I bought it new last year and it came with iron sights on it. Their website lists a compact Sportster which has youth sized stocks and comes with iron sights - http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/sportster.asp
Mine shoots great by the way.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline RIjake

• Yankee Redneck
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
Sweet, thanks.  Don't know how i missed that!

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:23 AM »
I'm a lefty and I'll tell ya it doesn't matter,  what does matter is which eye is dominate.  I'm left handed but right eyed,  so I shoot right not left.  On a handi I still don't think it will matter much tho.   Lefty's are pretty good at adapting,  we have had to ALL our life.  One of my greatest childhood accomplishments was learning how to use a spinning reel right handed.  You right handers need to try using a left hand one just for fun.  There were a lot of hooks in trees and on the opposite bank and alot of backlashes but finally I got there,  and now can use either one.   Tell your girls good luck.  My oldest daughter is a lefty and shoots competition .22 @ 30 yds and 12g Skeet.  Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!
Chris

Offline RIjake

• Yankee Redneck
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  I decided on the Sportster youth.  I think it'll work out great.

Yeah, Kf4ocv, I already checked 'em both for eye dominance and they're BOTH left eye dominant.  They're real lefties :) 

The fact that I can switch to a bigger stock when they grow is a bonus too.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »
Good point on the eye dominance thing. I foolishly never checked either of my two daughter's eye dominance, probably because I'm lefty and left eye dominant. I never checked my right handed daughter and she shot very well right handed so I never gave it any thought.

My left handed daughter couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when I first took her shooting. After a couple of range sessions of trying to be patient watching her shoot poorly it finally clicked in my thick head to check her eye dominance. Come to find out she was right eye dominant. I felt like such an idiot. I switched the gun to her right hand and she immediately started shooting well.

Even after that episode my right handed daughter shot so well with her .22 that I never checked her eye dominance. This past spring I took her to buy her a recurve bow and the guy at the shop checked her eye dominance and come to find out she's left eye dominant! I felt like even more of an idiot. I bought her a left handed bow and she shot it very well right off the bat. I'm not sure how she shot a gun so well righty but I've since switched her over to lefty.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783