Author Topic: Lessons learned Montana shoot  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Lessons learned Montana shoot
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
Anyone who went to the Montana shoot, if you have any ideas how to make it better post here.  If you didn't attend, post here what would make you attend. 

1.  Open the range the day before for set up--Cannons and Targets

2.  Get down on your belly and see if the little cannons can see the targets

3. Allow self contained camping on the range

4.  Have bigger heavier gong targets

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Lessons learned Montana shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
All in all I'm sure everyone had fun.
Hope to be able to go see one.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
All good valid points, Double D. Camping at a place where there are no motel rooms available makes sense, as well as being able to see a target, both for small and large guns. Opening the range for set up and free shooting the day before is also a great idea, as long as the property owner is compliant. Type and size of targets is subjective, and depends on the needs of the shooters. From all I've read, you put on a great shoot, and had good comments from all attendees. Was there only one day of shooting? If so, two would be nice, of course! (Saturday and Sunday) We have to allow for the range and property owners to have input, and also have to rely on the Range Master to "run a tight ship" for safety! That you did, I belive. It was well advertised, and I'm sure that your next one will be even better attended. All the "door prizes" was a great idea, too! If you can't have another one next year, then I'll look forward to the following one! BooLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
All the "door prizes" was a great idea, too!  BoomLover

Next year if you would like more door prizes, let us know in advance. I could have sent a few chunks of trench art. The price of gas next year will
probably be astronomical. I'll probably have to attend the shoot through the stories and pictures of those who attended like this year.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »
it was a great shoot ! ......the ONLY thing i can sugest is that IF shooters drive LONG distances is to get there at least one day early . you never know what may happen (and it did) and a entire day to recoup for the shoot.

it is going to be a must for me ....maybe two days . for those over 50 anyway . i was draggin for two days after getting back . yea yea i know a mans gotta know his limitations , mine are getting bigger everyday .

and get to the range about an hour B4 you think you need to ...just because ...you where wrong in the first place .

AND DO NOT MAKE A TWO WEEK RUSH to fiish a project .....then you are fried B4 you even leave . and you will forget things for sure .................................................................tracy . ;D  ;) duck and cover .

that beast s/b a required item at all future shoots  ;D . the "millinium annual gun"
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »
Unless you are retired and every day is just another day, or you're a local and don't have very far to drive, weekend days for the shoot mean that you will leave and return in the middle of the week.  Not much we can do about this.

I took 2 1/2 days each way although neither trip was the shortest possible.  The longest northbound segment was 771 miles/14 hours.  The longest southbound was 661 miles/11 hours.  I lucked out and missed the weather that Mike and Tracy hit coming from Colorado.

One of the problems siting a shoot is the locations of the various people.  DD is 30 miles from the Canadian border, CW is in Virginia, I am in southern CA.  These locations automatically put most people either far away or really far away.  Even some place like the Colorado plains are far away from most people.  Maybe we need to hold several shoots per year and spread them across the country.  This could only work if people in the vicinity of the shoots will take responsibility for getting the shoot set up as DD did this year.

Tomorrow I will start exploring reserving a site with the BLM in the southern CA desert; enter Cuddeback Lake, CA, in google maps (Yahoo maps can't find it) for the proposed location (choose the one near Rigecrest, CA.) This is bare desert with no facilities nearby; a much less hospitable location than Cut Bank, although much longer range opportunities.

Anyone interested in coming to a cannon shoot here can post a reply.  Scheduling would probably be earlier or later in the year to avoid the 100+° temperatures of summer.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »
Being I am retired  and have relatives in the California area of Modesto to San Bernadino  I would be interested . Now the wife would not be to interested but would come along. :)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »
Drop the wife off at the airport to fly into either Ontario, or Oakland airports and start her visits a little early while you play. ;D

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
My first call to the Ridgecrest BLM office found both of the realty section people gone by 3 PM.  We'll see how this actually goes.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
Yup.... I'm retired.  Have a clock that doesn't tell me the time, just what day of the week it is.  Would definitely Be interested in a So Cal shoot.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:35:06 AM »
My first call to the Ridgecrest BLM office found both of the realty section people gone by 3 PM.  We'll see how this actually goes.

My advice is to wait for the people in the reality section to come back to the office. The folks in the fantasy section might not be as helpful :)

GG, I'm curious as to how one goes about reserving a site with the BLM. I've arranged some very informal shoots in the CA desert/mountains among friends, but have never reserved any specific location. We just went to a spot early and set up our stuff.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
Several more attempts to reach the realty department resulting in calls switched to phone mail have caused me to send an email to the office for further information.  We will see.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »
  Any one have any pics from that shoot to show us??

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »
If you are asking about the Montana shoot, go to the other thread (Montana Cannon Shot(sic).)
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:59:17 AM »
I think Colorado would be perfect. Hopefully I'll have a "known" work schedule next year. This past year, I didn't know my schedule until the week prior. Hard to make plans to go cross country like that. Being in Houston makes all the above proposed shoots a couple day's drive.

Taking off for a week in Summer means that's our family's summer vacation as well. I'd need somewhere where my family can go do things as well while I'm shooting stuff.

We stay at the relatives' places in Boulder City and Las Vegas every other summer, so a Southern Cal shoot would work also. I'd just have to make arrangements to leave some of the alternate firepower with a brother in law in NV due to CA restrictions.
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
We have a two-day Civil War live fire every January here in the Colorado Desert in Southern California.  January 16-17, 2010 will be our 12th annual shoot there.

It is a very diversified event pitting Infantry against Infantry, Artillery against Artillery, and Infantry with Artillery in combined assaults.  We engage various wood & metal targets and wooden barricades from 200 to 600 yards with Cannons, Mortars, and small arms of the CW period.

The weather here that time of year is fantastic, and most people camp out right on the range.  Plenty of parking for RV's on site, and hotels and restaurants are fairly close by as well.

You can obtain more info at www.acws.net if you are interested.

Thanks~   Anthony

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »
Anthony,

Your shoot is essentially for full scale original and more or less exact replica guns, Is it not?  I wouldn't be abel to shoot my 1/6 scale M-1841 inch bore in my T-shirt and blue jeans, would I ?

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »
Anthony,

Your shoot is essentially for full scale original and more or less exact replica guns, Is it not?  I wouldn't be abel to shoot my 1/6 scale M-1841 inch bore in my T-shirt and blue jeans, would I ?

Yes, this shoot is done in uniform with more or less accurate replicas.  They have never been super strict on bore diameter though.  All of my stuff is full bore and/or rifled as original, but I have seen plenty of reduced bore cannons shooting, such as a 3" Mountain Howitzer or a 2.5" 10 Pdr. Parrott. Also, a normally rifled gun such as a Parrott or Ordnance Rifle can have a smooth bore and shoot round shot.

If is more of fun shoot than a hard core competition.  However, the only "scale" artillery I have ever seen used there in the last 10 years were a couple of golf ball sized bore mortars.  The smallest carriage I have ever seen was a full scale Mountain Howitzer.

If you want to attend without a cannon I welcome you to fall in on one of my guns as long as you drill with us prior to the event starting.  I even have complete Federal and Confederate loaner uniforms on hand to help with recruitment.  Just let me know ahead of time.  This invite goes to anyone on this Board.  If I get enough help, I'll field a section of 10 Pdr. Parrotts, a 12 Pdr. Napoleon, and a pair of 24 Pdr. Coehorn Mortars.

Thanks~   Anthony

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
This is why I want to continue my shoot as a less formal venue. There are plenty of venues for the big guns, but nothing for the little ones...and as far as uniforms, I wore a uniform for most of my 40 year working career, no more!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
There are plenty of venues for the big guns, but nothing for the little ones...

DD,

Let's not forget about the Central Florida Cannon Shoot held at the Hernando Sportsman's Club in Brooksville, Florida. It's for scale cannons too. Although, they have had a few full size show up. But, those have been Mt. Howitzers and a Conf. Mt. Gun.

That shoot is an informal one also. It should be coming up at he end of Nov.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
This is why I want to continue my shoot as a less formal venue. There are plenty of venues for the big guns, but nothing for the little ones...and as far as uniforms, I wore a uniform for most of my 40 year working career, no more!

I can certainly respect that DD.  This shoot, like most big gun shoots, is an attempt to bring history to life.  We are living historians which is why we reenact.

However, I also like to go out and shoot just for the fun of shooting and to improve my shooting skills.  Believe it or not, it is very difficult to get enough people in-between the formal events & matches to show up to help, so I do not get to do it very often if at all.  The guns I have weigh more than 2,000 lbs. each; even the Mortars weight over 300 lbs.  No way I can go out without at least two or three people to help.  It is a shame too because we have a great black powder range here in the desert.  I would be shooting at least once a month if I could...

Anthony

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
There are plenty of venues for the big guns, but nothing for the little ones...

DD,

Let's not forget about the Central Florida Cannon Shoot held at the Hernando Sportsman's Club in Brooksville, Florida. It's for scale cannons too. Although, they have had a few full size show up. But, those have been Mt. Howitzers and a Conf. Mt. Gun.

That shoot is an informal one also. It should be coming up at he end of Nov.

Bingo, there are others!!!   It's a shame it's held in the winter!  :)

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 07:10:48 AM »
And of course, for us West (best!) Coasties, we have the "informal" Lone Pine Shoot coming right up on Labor Day weekend, in Central Oregon! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline guzzibill

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »
I am in so cal and would attend a shoot within 300 miles....
 hell , we never ASK the BLM, we just go and shoot...

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
we never ASK the BLM, we just go and shoot.

When only a handful of us go out, I don't ask them either.  But I wanted at least a handle on their reaction to a published event.  Occasionally, someone puts on a "rave" in the same area and BLM gets upset about this although they apparently don't do anything else about it. 

I have given them 10 days to reply to my email inquiry.  This week, I start calling again.  Eventually to the top dog if the underlings don't respond.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
I have talked with the BLM and they are reluctant to do things because of fear of being the "deep pockets" in case of a lawsuit.  I have contacted an organized range in the area south of Ridgecrest, CA, and will see what their response is.

Besides being in the middle of nowhere on the dry lakes, I have no problem with 10 or 20 cannon shooters going out for a weekend of fun.  There would be a potential problem of keeping other campers out of the impact area if we didn't have formal control of the area.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 05:13:05 PM »
I have talked with the BLM and they are reluctant to do things because of fear of being the "deep pockets" in case of a lawsuit.  I have contacted an organized range in the area south of Ridgecrest, CA, and will see what their response is.

Besides being in the middle of nowhere on the dry lakes, I have no problem with 10 or 20 cannon shooters going out for a weekend of fun.  There would be a potential problem of keeping other campers out of the impact area if we didn't have formal control of the area.

I would be VERY interested as this is only a 500 mile round trip or so for me, as long as the range was at least 1,000 yards.  Further would be even better!!

Please let us know, thanks~   Anthony

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
If you search for Brown Rd at Bennet, Ridgecrest, Kern, CA, in google maps, you will see an aerial view of the range.  It looks like the maximum developed range is 600 yards, although there is a lot of undeveloped desert behind the 600 yard berm.  I have not been to the range although I have driven along Hwy 395 there many times.  Depending on the results of my inquiries, I may make a trip out there in the near future.

Ridgecrest Range via google maps

Ridgecrest Gun Range Association

Keep in mind I have just started talking with them and there is nothing arranged at the moment.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
I have talked to the range operators and they would like to have an event but they want insurance.  I talked to the broker who offers the NRA Endorsed Insurance that most clubs and ranges have and they will not cover a live fire cannon event.  I now have an inquiry in to Charlie Smithgall (former president of N-SSA) asking about their insurance carrier.

The range has lanes to 600 yards and lots of empty land beyond their terminal berms but wants impacts contained within their property, so maximum range seems to be limited to 600 yards.  I will eventually make a visit to them if we can work out the insurance issue.

If this ever gets to a go status, I will open a new thread.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
George :
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
If this should become a reality , I would love to load up my BB Mortar and head south .  Shopping for a trailer to pull behind my Motor home to haul my Miata and Mortar .... an M,M&M outfit so to speak .  ::)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .