Author Topic: Synthetic Stock Maintenance?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Synthetic Stock Maintenance?
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
Hi All,
   Well... waiting for my rifle to arrive... was wondering, what is the usual maintenance for a "black plastic" synthetic stock? Scrub with soap and water? Windex, LOL! Something else?  Use ArmorAll to preserve it?

Might be an old school worry, but seems to me plastic eventually gets brittle and cracks or turns to dust if you don't do "something" to preserve it.  Last thing I'd want is for my barrel to come loose and smack me in the face, LOL!

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
Re: Synthetic Stock Maintenance?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
Armor all is great on plastic, but it will put a shine to it and it does smell for weeks.
I just wipe it with a clean dry rag, and keep oils and solvents away from plastic as much as possible, because i don't know what effect they have on plastic. Yes, plastic deterirates with time, but we don't expose thsese rifle enough to the elements to make a difference.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
Post - A - Holic ?   And thats perfectly fine. If you're new to the sport, theres not a stupid question IMO. Ask all you want! 

For a plastic stock i used to use water and dry it off and follow up with some windex and dry it, put everything back together.

What rifle do you have on the way?

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:30:39 PM »
Post - A - Holic ?   And thats perfectly fine. If you're new to the sport, theres not a stupid question IMO. Ask all you want! 

For a plastic stock i used to use water and dry it off and follow up with some windex and dry it, put everything back together.

What rifle do you have on the way?

Just bought a cheapie. Given my situation I couldn't feel good about it any other way. A Traditions Yukon with scope and started pack. Should be fine until things either turn around, or I actually have to use the thing to really get food.

Yeah, simonkenton seems to want to start up with me. Someone with handle "Das Jaeger" was giving me flack over on TheHighRoad, so if someone told me it was the same guy, I wouldn't be surprised, LOL! There's one in every batch.

No doubt I have a lot of questions. Many years ago was a handloader, but mainly for guns that could be classified as "anti-personnel". Had mostly military and defense weapons and 1 or two BP pistols. So this is new territory for me. But having seen the results of errors in the past (including one range accident where I got a .22 hole drilled in me, LOL!) I definitely may dig for more details up front than most folks.

Even a low priced .50 still has to be safe, and knowledge is a big part of avoiding problems, given the gun itself is built to a sufficient standard (which I have to hope is true of everything actually marketed to shoot, rather than hang on the wall.)

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
I find that Armor-All gives a very slippery stock, even the low luster type.
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
Just wipe off the mud with water (or not), you'll be fine.  Make sure it is completely dry before putting the barrel back on...
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson