Author Topic: 380 ammo  (Read 2381 times)

Offline anorris

• Trade Count: (1)
380 ammo
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »
Is any one finding 380 ammo for sale, I have it backordered from Cabelas for about and month and cannot find any locally?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 380 ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
From the comments posted by JD Jones of SSK in the latest issue of SIXGUNNER it seems .380 ammo is about impossible for dealers to find thru any of the wholesalers. You might find some FMJ imported stuff but not likely to locate much else.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
I have purchased 380 Remington FMJ several times at Walmart in the past several weeks. They only get a small amount at anytime, so just keep checking often.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:49 AM »
I would check with MidSouth, Natchez, Cheaper'n Dirt for some Sellier and Bellot - best Euro 380 out there, and reloadable. 

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
  But what is the reason for the shortages? Anyone know? I still see 223,308,9mm,45 and a bunch of others but 380 is non-existent.  Kix

Offline dowby77

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »
I work at ATK in the lewiston plant and I can tell you that 380s arent being produced a whole lot.lots of 9s 40s and 45s though.sorry to be the bearer of bad news.keep looking Im sure youll find some

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:23:22 AM »
I had this problem of 380 and 45LC ammo shortages explained to me by a gunshop owner:  He sez...well, Ruger came out with the lcp in 380 and S&W came out with their nightguard revolvers in 45, and there is a bigger boom in the CASS, and everybody has to have either one of those little 380s or one of those 45s and the ammo shortages are a result.  I dunno if any of that is true or not but I thought I would just share it with you.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 05:25:43 AM »
Ammo is starting to come back on the shelves it appears , But the prices are still way above norm.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »
last week bought some serbian stuff on Midway. Actually it shot surprisingly well. Usually I place an order for 380's (Cabelas) and eventually they come in after several months. Recently on Cheaper than dirt they had 380 at $50 a box!! If this keeps up I'm thinking of selling my PPKS (which I love) and buying a CZ P06 in 40S&W. The ammo is easier to find and the gun is about the same weight as my PPKS.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 02:18:50 AM »
1marty:  I have seen ammo at absolutely rediculous prices and I always ask why the hay someone would pay that much for (whatever style/brand) ammo, especially when you can get normal working fodder for near normal (pre-obama) costs. 

I saw a box of somebody's gar-an-teed one shot stopper (just as effective as the 357 or something) that went for $45 and thought - how insane - this stuff isn't going to 'one shot stop' anything unless it is a suicide - so wadda they gonna do, refund your money if it takes 2,3 or 5 shots - big deal.  In the interim you're the one who has to keep pulling the trigger. 

If you are dealing with a 380, which I consider a decent caliber, you need to be prepared to empty the magazine and it doesn't matter what brand or style ammo you are shooting, which is why a lot of guys just carry ball ammo in their 380s.  jmtcw.....

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:45:12 AM »
Stopped in dicks yesterday and they had a couple boxes of black hills 45LC cowboy loads for 50 bucks a box ::) They asked if I wanted a box and I replied that there is a difference in being a little overpriced and rape then walked out. On the other hand I did buy some 22 mags at walmart for pre obama normal price

Offline fknipfer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
I just bought 100rds or .380  from Wisconsin Cartridge.  Newly loaded fmj for practice  it was around $19.00 for 50ea.  I save all my jhp for carry.  I am going next week to a carry class and will have to shoot for some reason.  Just put Wisconsin Cartridge in a search mode and then go to it.  Took me about 3 days to get it.  Going to go fire some tomorrow but it looks good.  Brass case and boxer primer.  I not sure but may think fmj maybe a better round for Defense.  European idea for a .380 is to fire all 7 or 8 rounds into chest area then the attaacker just hemorrages out.

"fk"

Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
 I just bought some too. I've been on backorder for months at other sites. Picture looks good.  Thanks for the tip

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
Its taken me the better part of a month to find brass.  I had to cast some roundnose lead bullets, and I did so by adding a slug to my 9mm mold to cut the weight down and shorten the boolit.  Wound up with about 80grns.  They feed by hand, haven't shot any yet.  My brother bought a Mini Eagle back in Aug. and  has searched everywhere for ammo.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
over the past two years I have picked up about a gallon can full of 380 brass at my club.  Lots of people leave it on the ground.  I load my own either with 120 gr cast bullets or 90 gr Hornady XTP bullets that I bought a thousand of about a year ago.  Both work in my Bersa Thunderer.  By the way the Bersa is the most reliable pocket pistol I have ever owned.  I had my doubts when I first bought it but not anymore.  It has fired everything I put in it.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 02:09:30 PM »
Just today, at the local Farm & Fleet store they had/have a shelf full of Wincester 95 grain fmj 100 count boxes of 380 ammo for 33 bucks each. Maybe 20 boxes on the shelf. This suprized me. I bought just two boxes. And not a bad price.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
I would suggest getting into reloading if you aren't & reloading practice ammo & hoarding factory for carry. It helps when supply & demand are such as they are now. I am seeing a bit more ammo on dealers shelves in our area now.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »
There is some available, the Academy Stores in several Texas cities had it on the shelves a week or so back, someone told me Bass Pro Shop in the Dallas area also had it.

If nothing else works chewck out the sales on line, this is a link to Auctionarms and what they have available.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9355976&oh=

Offline trex1310

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
I've had no problem finding .380 ammo. Buffaloe Bore, Double Tap and Luckygunner all have .380 & .380 +p.
NRA Life Member / Vietnam Vet
Certified in laziness
Certified in watching TV
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Offline Willum241

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 08:17:10 AM »
I've gotten Buffalo Bore 100 gr lead from Midway at 22.95 for 20 plus shipping, and my local shops have Speer Gold Dot JHP at 19.00 for 20 and Winchester and Federal Eagle FMJ at 20.00 for 50. I live just North of Cincinnati in Morrow. I keep my pistol and mags loaded with a mix of the Buffalo Bore and Gold Dot for carry and practice mostly with FMJ.

Offline sunnenman

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »
I have 5 boxes of prvi partizan 380 fmj if anyone is interested. $25 per box plus actual shipping.
If you are located in Michigan, maybe we can meet.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
over the past two years I have picked up about a gallon can full of 380 brass at my club.  Lots of people leave it on the ground.  I load my own either with 120 gr cast bullets or 90 gr Hornady XTP bullets that I bought a thousand of about a year ago.  Both work in my Bersa Thunderer.  By the way the Bersa is the most reliable pocket pistol I have ever owned.  I had my doubts when I first bought it but not anymore.  It has fired everything I put in it.

Bersa RULES!
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 04:40:37 AM »
It's a shame that the ammo companies got caught off guard with the popularity of the new defense .380's.  You can now find most self defence ammo, but I have not been able to find fmj .380 for practice.  I have a box and a half of fmj that I am hording and really don't want to shoot much of it up.  I do have a good supply of 'defense' ammo though, but at the expence of that, I'm not too happy about shooting that either.  Consiquently I spend much more time dry firing my gun than actually shooting it.  Come to think of it, I do that with all my guns!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »
Read an article or email about how ammo manufactors use to only produce .380 ammo for 2 months out of a year. Seems they would shutdown the 9mm line at the end of Oct. and only make .380's in Nov & Dec. That used to be all they needed for the year. But when Ruger jumped on the band wagon with the LCP the market didn't realize the landslide it would cause. Then you get the Obama scare on top of it and it just snowballs.
Sure glad I bought a set of dies, 2 molds and have plenty of lead and primers to reload my own.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline diggdug

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 06:17:53 AM »
Part of the problem is that not only Ruger is making a .380, but now Sig has the P238 out, and Taraus has a new one out now too. I just picked up the Sig and really like it.
Most people say I'm an idiot!