Author Topic: Pistol powder  (Read 2089 times)

Offline wormbobskey

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Pistol powder
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
Can someone give me the jist of the types of powder that are acceptable for loading in a cap and ball pistol? The local gun store doesn't carry goex anymore because of the regulations and they don't have any pyrodex P. I'm guessing that pyrodex RS is a slower burning powder so its not suitable for pistol, but what is an acceptable replacement for FFFG or pyrodex P?  I'm sorry if these questions have been asked a hundred times before. Worm
OSTA
Lanums Animal Damage Control & Repair
We don't do bugs

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pistol powder
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:40 AM »
Pyrodex RS will work, it just burns a bit slower, but will probably make more smoke and flame in a revolver.  I have used 777, and Clean Shot, now American Pioneer.  Goex also sells, or sold a sub powder.  The subs, other than 777 don't have the punch that real black has, Pyrodex is harder to light, and sometimes requires the "Magnum" caps.  All the subs will foul, but the fouling doesn't seem to build up like BP does, it stays at about the same level, but still may require spritzing with Windex or Ballistol to run smooth.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:25 AM »
I use App or Goex Pinacle in 3f  clean up is lot easier than black or pyrodex.  Also you don't have as much fowling between the cylinder and the frame so you can shoot longer.
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
I looked on Midway a while ago and they have what I need at what seems like a decent price until I saw the 22.95 HazMat fee on top of the 9.99 shipping. Can't afford that. If I use the RS what is a basic but safe load for the pistol? I don't want to exceed the 30 grain mark.
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 05:04:52 AM »
I have found my best accuracy with RS Pyrodex in two different C&B revolvers and in a .44 Colt cartridge conversion. Your revolver can safely fire all the RS you can get into the chamber. The velocity will be a bit less than you could get from Pyrodex P but that is hardly an issue and I have consistently found better accuracy with the RS grade.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:17:17 AM »
I use American Pioneer  FFFG in my Pietta 44.  It seems to work just fine, as long as the wind isn't blowing in my face  ;D ;D
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
Coyotejoe, what size powder charge were you using? Until I can find a gun dealer around here that sells FFFG, Pyrodex P or American pioneer than I will use the RS. I'm going out to shoot it today in the back yard as long as it doesn't start raining. Figure I'll start with 20 or 25 grains of RS and see what I get. I've already scrubbed the pistol to remove any manufactoring oil and grease, but don't have anything to polish the barrel or chamber with. Is there any kind of household cleaner or degreaser that would help to polish the bore?Thanks, Worm.
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
wormbobskey
Figure I'll start with 20 or 25 grains of RS and see what I get.

That's a good start.   Usually; 22gr. of real black gives the best results, probably the same with Pyrodex.  APP is okay.  It produces an oily residue that prevents gumming up the works like Pyrodex.  In this pic I'm using APP from Midway.  I have to order my Black from Powder Inc., Clarksville, AR, in  five 1 pound cans of mixed brands.  Lasts me a long time.

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
Do you have to pay a HazMat fee everytime you order your powder? I'm still loking for someone around here that carries the powder I need, but still have not found anyone.
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline FourBee

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Do you have to pay a HazMat fee everytime you order your powder? I'm still loking for someone around here that carries the powder I need, but still have not found anyone.
YEP !   You pay a HazMat whether you buy a 1# can or a 50# case on that particular purchase.  Most small businesses will not bother with blackpowder requirements, so finding one is like hunting a needle in a haystack.  
After driving a long distance and buying from a major dealer, I decided that was more expensive, to exhaustive, plus I got lost, and next time I should dig a little deeper into my pocket and call in an order.  It went smooth, and in a couple of days UPS pulled up out front with my order.  I've not regretted it either.

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
Are all HazMat fees the same or are there better places to buy than others?
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline FourBee

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:40:33 PM »
Are all HazMat fees the same or are there better places to buy than others?
Yes; that's a standard charge.  It's the powder prices that vary.   Powder Inc. is close to the lowest priced.   I think Graff's was the lowest, but don't know the quantity required to purchase.

Offline good shot

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:36 AM »
If you don't have non embedding bore cleaner (Brobst?)  there is silica sand in toothpaste.
Our local Proctor and Gamble plant buys the best stainless steel pumps for the toothpaste and changes them out every 3 months
when they wear out. No wonder our enamel gets thin.
Best wishes,  :)

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »
What?
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline FourBee

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
wormbobskey; that's my thoughts to.  Is that what they call hijacking a thread?  
Anyways, I was checking the old prices of all the different distributors, and when the orders get up to 25 and 50 pounds Powder Inc., underbids all the others.   But how many of us would use that much powder?

4B

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 01:25:19 AM »
Its looking like I'm going to have to cross the state line to find any fffg and ffffg. Talked to one of the employes at the gun store and he says thats the only place he can find real black powder is in W Va. I posted a want ad on craigeslist for some, but haven't got any replies. I figure I'll talk to wife into a little shopping trip today if I can find the time.
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline good shot

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 04:38:15 AM »
" I've already scrubbed the pistol to remove any manufactoring oil and grease, but don't have anything to polish the barrel or chamber with. Is there any kind of household cleaner or degreaser that would help to polish the bore?Thanks, Worm."

Offering some info in response to this question, toothpaste is a readily available mild abrasive.

Offline wormbobskey

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Made the 100 mile round trip and picked up some goex FFFg and some FFFFg, plus my T/C hawkin arrived today. Like christmas in sept. Also picked up a nipple wtrench for my navy 1851. This place will be smoking tomorrow.
OSTA
We don't do bugs

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 02:13:28 AM »
Has anyone used Blackhorn 209 in their pistols?
The reason i ask is because i am using this in my rifle and it is extremely clean (as clean as smokeless powder) and accurate.
I will buy a pistol soon. Maybe i can try the BH 209?

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 02:15:36 AM »
" I've already scrubbed the pistol to remove any manufactoring oil and grease, but don't have anything to polish the barrel or chamber with. Is there any kind of household cleaner or degreaser that would help to polish the bore?Thanks, Worm."

Offering some info in response to this question, toothpaste is a readily available mild abrasive.

The cleaner used for glass countertops is also very nice. Mild abrasive that will not damage anything, but will clean and polish.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 03:24:45 AM »
Has anyone used Blackhorn 209 in their pistols?
The reason i ask is because i am using this in my rifle and it is extremely clean (as clean as smokeless powder) and accurate.
I will buy a pistol soon. Maybe i can try the BH 209?

Hey anweis:    BlackHorn 209 is a great muzzleload rifle powder.  However; it is specially formulated for hotter ignition than what a revolver's #11 caps can produce.
It is also a high velocity powder as Tripple 7, but Tripple 7 will usually ignite with the fire produced by revolver caps.

4B

Offline Gaucho Gringo

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
There is this distributor of Goex that sells his own branded BP for $255.00 for 25lbs which includes shipping and Hazemat fees. From what I have been able to find out, it is bulk Goex that he repackages into 1lb cans. It works out to be just pennies over $10. a lb. I have been trying to get a group buy in my neck of the woods with little success. Here is the website. 

http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

Offline NozzleRag

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »
The cheap powder from Jack's is produced for the Re-Enactment boys. It is pretty poorly graded as to granulation. All sizes of grains from dust to Fg. Good for shotgun but I wouldn't use it in my pistols or rifle.