38 / 357
29 (25.4%)
40/ 41 mag/ 44 spl
18 (15.8%)
45 Acp/ colt
25 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: October 05, 2009, 10:35:08 PM

Author Topic: What do you carry as a caliber?  (Read 7939 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: What do you carry as a caliber?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 05:26:28 AM »
Dee,
The Norfolk PD was issued ammo and since the guys got it for free that is what they wanted to use.
If I remember it was a 158 Jacked Hollow point full Mag load.
What I would do is load the gun for them with specials mags and a few empty cases.
we would work on dry firing a lot and then go to the live ammo.
The mags and the special were good but the empty case told volumes of what they were doing wrong.
And we had to use an empty case as you can see an empty chamber rotate into the firing position.  We also had the shooter turn around while other loaded his revolver so he would not know if the rounds were live or empty cases and what the mix was.
And with a dry snap if the gun moved at all we could see if they were anticipating recoil and pushing down on the gun
flinching from the flash where the gun would move sideways, or using too much trigger to make the gun go off and yaw the gun either right or left.
Once the gun stayed perfectyl still during the shot.  I was out of it and why went back to the NPD range to learn to move and shoot with the little guns.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 02:41:12 PM »
i  have  heard  it called ''the  ball and dummy drill''

i used  to have to do  that
just  load 1  hot  and  5 dummys
russian  roolet  with the target

another advandage  the revolver has over the auto
but  with  the auto  you  just need a helper  to  load  or  not  load
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline MAJORSDAD

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
Glock 19 in 9mm.

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »
Usually a Kel Tec 380 (loaded with Double Tap 90 gr hp's) in a DeSantis pocket holster in my right pocket, occasionally a Kel-Tec P11. If you've not shot any of the Double Tap ammo....well lets just say you can sense the power when you shoot it...pretty awesome stuff for a 380.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
  Carry what you are proficient with and have trained with. Caliber is so far down on the list. Meaning, if you were trained to make yourself a moving target, find cover, and concealment using no gun at all......then God forbid anyone come against you and you be armed with a .32 lemon-sqeazer. It's about the fight.... A beer bottle deployed appropriately in defense is more than any gun deployed inappropriately would ever do.

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
i carry a ruger sp101 357 magnum, i open carry right now here in ky., but plan on getting my c.c.l. soon. i load it with speer gold dot 125hp at home, 180 grain sp when i'm out walking cause of the chance of 4 legged critters.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
Dee,
The Norfolk PD was issued ammo and since the guys got it for free that is what they wanted to use.
If I remember it was a 158 Jacked Hollow point full Mag load.
What I would do is load the gun for them with specials mags and a few empty cases.
we would work on dry firing a lot and then go to the live ammo.
The mags and the special were good but the empty case told volumes of what they were doing wrong.
And we had to use an empty case as you can see an empty chamber rotate into the firing position.  We also had the shooter turn around while other loaded his revolver so he would not know if the rounds were live or empty cases and what the mix was.
And with a dry snap if the gun moved at all we could see if they were anticipating recoil and pushing down on the gun
flinching from the flash where the gun would move sideways, or using too much trigger to make the gun go off and yaw the gun either right or left.
Once the gun stayed perfectyl still during the shot.  I was out of it and why went back to the NPD range to learn to move and shoot with the little guns.

Those are methods that are tried and true. I used them also back in the 70s, and 80s. I could look at a students targets without watching them shoot, and usually tell what he or she was doing wrong. It sounds like a stretch but, after thousands of rounds and and hours on the range after a while you can.
I even used the spun cylinder on myself when practicing. It will keep you honest. Also, I have had other officers load my pistols or revolvers for me when doing reloads, whether from a revolver, or auto. That way I never knew when the weapon was going to go dry in a timed session. It will make you think, and just like someone else said. Fighting is not so much about caliber, as it is about tactics, marksmanship and nerve. It is one thing to talk about what you will or won't do if a fight comes, but the fight will proceed with or without your cooperation and you must stand and fight to expect to win. On caliber however there are calibers that are popular that I consider minimal, and would not choose.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline deerchaser

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 02:56:15 PM »
Full size S&W M&P45.

Offline pslshooter

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 06:43:10 AM »
I carry fullsize 1911 .45acp with the gun loaded with Glazer Blue's and 2 8rnd mags with Remington Golden Sabre's. I learned from 1st hand experience the Glazers do massive soft tissue damage. I've survived 2 break-ins without a scratch, intruders not so lucky.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 07:04:33 AM »
I carry fullsize 1911 .45acp with the gun loaded with Glazer Blue's and 2 8rnd mags with Remington Golden Sabre's. I learned from 1st hand experience the Glazers do massive soft tissue damage. I've survived 2 break-ins without a scratch, intruders not so lucky.

Tell us more.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
Those are methods that are tried and true. I used them also back in the 70s, and 80s. I could look at students targets without watching them shoot, and usually tell what he or she was doing wrong. It sounds like a stretch but, after thousands of rounds and hours on the range after a while you can.
Dee, mcwoodduck. This method of curing a flinch or heeling problem was used by military teams back in the 50s and 60s.  I had the pleasure of participating on teams at several different locations during this period; the coach most always used this as a means of training.  In addition to the government issued guns I kept a S&W model 27 in my pistol box.  Fun days at the practice range would include loading for each other and watching for flinch, etc.  We might load with  “hot” .357s, a light wad cutter .38 load and several empties just to get the reaction from each.  This is a great way of curing problems but you need a wise coach or assistant to help you.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »
I carry a CA bulldog pug in .44 special, with the laser in the grips.  The laser makes it a damn accurate handgun, you can reliably roll soda cans at 25 yards with it when the light is dim enough to see the dot.  The .44 special isn't any slouch of a round either, especially when carefully handloaded with Gold Dots.

Offline pslshooter

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »

Tell us more.

Cheese
I lived in a pretty crappy part of the city. 1st one the guy kicked in the back door and I met him in the kitchen. His hand went to his waist, I fired 1 shot center of the chest. He hit the floor and his 9mm fell out beside him. I called PD and they showed up with an Ambulance. He died on my floor. PD took my gun as evidence, but the shooting was ruled self defence and I got it back.
2nd was about 2 months after the 1st one. Guy came in thru my bedroom window on the 1st floor by cutting the screen. I heard a crash because he tripped on the coax going to my TV and pulled it off the dresser. Instead of going out the same window he came in he comes down the hall straight at me. He took one to the upper right shoulder. I called PD and they showed up with the ambulance and carted him off. He lived and it took me 3 weeks to get my 45 back. He was armed too, so the shooting was ruled self defence.
I moved from the area a week after getting my gun back and sold the house. Since then there have beel at least 1-2 drive-bys a month due to the fact it has become a high drug area. PD doesn't like going down there anymore because 3 officers have been killed in the past few years. I'm glad I left when I did.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
I'm glad you had the courage to stand and fight. Many bluster, but won't. There is one less felon on the street, and one with experience the hard way.

GOOD JOB! ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
should  have kept the house
guided  urban  safaris  there
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
With me it varies, but my LWT Commander gets the most holster time.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline schnarrgj

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 03:36:48 AM »
By far the most time being carried is the Bersa Thunder 380.  I also carry a 9mm MilPro or a CZ82 in 9mm Mak.

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »
During the summer, mostly carry Kel-Tec P-32.  When the weather changes, it may be an XD-9, S&W 696 .44 special, Rossi .357 or Rossi .38 special.  Also do not own a model 1911 or any .45 caliber handgun.

oldhunter

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »
.357 in a snubbie concealed; nice heavy steel ported (I'm already near deaf).
held fast

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:25 AM »
What?? What'd he say?? :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 01:49:22 AM »
Glock 33
I really prefer a J frame,  lighweight 16oz hammerless, but I sold it a few years ago and got a Glock 33 (357sig same as my issued duty ammo.) I don't carry the glock as much as the Smith and it bothers me that I don't. Back in the early 90s we all carried 380 Walther or Sigs. Very flat guns and easy to carry. The defensive ammo is so well made now that I wouldn't mind carrying a 380 or 38spl.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »
I checked the .45 in the poll because most of the time I carry a Glock 21. However, I could have checked them all. A lot of time it depends upon the clothing. In the winter with jackets it could be anything. Sometimes ya just want to carry something different. I still shoot well with all of them. Just got a new .44 Special I can't wait to carry.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline red364

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
I like my ppks .380.....it's not too big or bulky, and the CT grips feel pretty good!  ;D
this doesn't rock

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:53 AM »
I normally cary a 4 inch Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, under a Hawian shirt.  A large colored shirt breaks up pattern and can hide a cannon.  For those that said a model 60 in full power .357 mag?? Smith & Wesson will tell you the k frames will not stand up to an extended diet,  that is why they came out with the L frame. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 04:19:46 AM »
I normally cary a 4 inch Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, under a Hawian shirt.  A large colored shirt breaks up pattern and can hide a cannon.  For those that said a model 60 in full power .357 mag?? Smith & Wesson will tell you the k frames will not stand up to an extended diet,  that is why they came out with the L frame. 8)

L  is  bigger than K 
and  you right about  why  they made  the L

but  the model 60  and  my  model 640   are  j frames
even smaller

i   have  357s  in  J  K  and L   used to have  an N frame
[not  to mention  t/c contender winchester  and   H&R]

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2009, 04:58:21 AM »
I seem to remember Winchester making a low powered .357 just for those snubies.  Might evan have been a Silvertip.  Also Glaser Safety Slugs and Magsafe work well for up close and personal. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2009, 10:40:41 AM »
I voted 45ACP, loaded W/+P Federal FMJ expanding but I also carry my S&W 638 loaded with now discontinued, Winchester L.E. only +P+ HP's almost as often.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
When I am amongst the folk I cary a Radom P64 in 9x18 loaded with Hornady HXPs. It is small, reliable, accurate and cheap enough that if it were to end up in police custody in the event of a justifiable shooting I would not be out much money. At least not for the gun, legal expenses would be an altogether different subject. And, with the addition of a set of Marschal  grips, it is much easier to fire well.
  In the woods I carry a S&W 581 .357 for feral dog repellant. All stock.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2009, 02:39:08 PM »
380 acp some of the time.  22lr derringer all the time.  Many places I go would not like it if they knew I was packing.  When I'm there the 380 is in the truck, the 22 in my pocket.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Westbound

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2009, 06:49:25 AM »
Mine is a Kel-Tec P-11 with the 12 round mag loaded up with Hornady TAP 124gr.