38 / 357
29 (25.4%)
40/ 41 mag/ 44 spl
18 (15.8%)
45 Acp/ colt
25 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: October 05, 2009, 10:35:08 PM

Author Topic: What do you carry as a caliber?  (Read 7948 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: What do you carry as a caliber?
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »
With a small sample it is showing that most carry 38/357 most of the time and the others are split about even with the 9, 380, and 45 all running neck and neck.
thanks.

Offline JJ79

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
With a small sample it is showing that most carry 38/357 most of the time and the others are split about even with the 9, 380, and 45 all running neck and neck.
thanks.

yep...  wonder how many of those 38/357's are smith j-frames or ruger sp101's...?   ;)

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »
Hey there is a quick question to ask and start your own poll.
Should be interesting to see what people carry.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 04:51:53 PM »
thanks.

yep...  wonder how many of those 38/357's are smith j-frames or ruger sp101's...?   ;)

Mine is a S&W638 for the 38 and a LWT Combat Commander in 45.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2009, 10:40:40 PM »
Poll options are far too limiting really to tell much and you'd likely get a better understanding by just asking a question and reading what folks say than trying to do it via a poll on this and many others that folks try to handle via polls.

As a for instance I suspect that many like myself don't always carry the same handgun for CCW. As circumstances change so does my CCW. It might be a little Kel-Tec P32 at times when that's about all that is concealable based on my clothing at the time or a S&W 638 like CW says or even a Glock G27 or G22 but even those are by no means my only options or guns carried.

So my answer really would have to be it depends.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oldguytex

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
+1 on what Graybeard wrote:
" As a for instance I suspect that many like myself don't always carry the same handgun for CCW. As circumstances change so does my CCW. It might be a little Kel-Tec P32 at times when that's about all that is concealable based on my clothing at the time ......So my answer really would have to be it depends."

I think for most of us its really dictated primarily by situation /and/or combination of situation and clothing choice.

regards,

:) :) :)

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2009, 06:16:30 AM »
I understand that clothing and weather will dictate what you carry as well as where you are headed that day.
I just look at the Gun rags and keep seeing 1911's as handguns and AR's as rifles.
I think the editors would just wet themselves if they could do an issue with the 1911 and an AR combo put out by the same company.
In the past year I think there has not been an issue of G&A with out one or the other. And I understand that these two like the 10/22, the 870 and the rem 1100 have the most options to LEGO the gun into what ever special purpose you want for that gun.
And was just wondering how many actually carry a .45 as opposed to what may be more practical in a J frame, pocket pistol, or one of the wonder 9's. 
But thank you all, before this thing terminates, for my little poll.
McDuck.

Offline michaelt454

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2009, 06:39:46 AM »
I carry a Sig P220 carry .45 with Corbon DPX in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. IWB holster half of the time and the other half is a service model XD in .45 loaded the same in the style holster. 

Michael T.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
S&W Mod 37 SB.  It is an old gun, so I only use standard pressure ammo.

"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2009, 04:24:56 AM »
I gotta agree with Greybeard on this poll thing, I carry mostly a Glock 21-SF and a Glock 29 (10mm), sometimes I may only have a S&W .38spl Airweight in my front pocket. If riding the lawnmower, I just might have my model 29 .44mag with #6-shot for copperheads in the backfield.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »
My only carry gun is a Springfield 1911 Ultra Compact. Same as a Officers Model. I put a set of Hogue wrap around grips on it to better fit my hand. I carried a Govt model in the Army for a few years and the 1911 is the gun I am most comfortable and experienced with. I also practice with it regularly. Not just target shooting, but draw and fire, shooting while moving and rapid reload. I don't plan to stand still in a gun fight, so why practice that way? I ain't John Wayne ya know.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
Tn Jim,
My shooting got a lot better when I got involved in a monthly IDPA / Steel shoot hybrid at the club I belonged to.
We had a 6 round X 3 course.  Draw shoot, move (sometimes move and shoot), reload, shoot, move reload and shoot.
Each miss is a 5 second add.
Great shoot lots of fun.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
For those that have posted they use different carry guns for different occaisions, how do you maintain proficiency with multiple platforms? I like mcwoodduck's idea of shooting local practical matches, but having shot competitively before, I focused on mastering one platform, so I'd lean towards one gun for all occaisions.

Mahalo, Chaps
held fast

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
When I would shoot at the club and win the match with my full size Sigs, the next month I would use my Det Spl, the P230, or one of the other handguns I own that meets the cryteria of the shoot.  6 rounds 32ACP or better and need to reload it twice (so three mags or two speed loaders)
The one I really have trouble mastering is my Smith and Glock Sigma.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
9X18 MAKAROV CZ82
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
Most of the time I carry the Bersa .380, but once in a while I'll bust out the .357. The Bersa is much more easy to conceal.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »
.45 ACP.
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2009, 03:33:36 PM »
Now you ever try to hit a copperhead snake with a 38spl or 45acp, while on the riding lawn mower? Trust me my sire, it is not the easiest thing in the world to do and that I why I use a .44mag with #6 shot in the cylinder.

Now as far as the other pistols go that I just might carry, I do shoot a lot and I just don't shoot one type of pistol either. I go through around 1,500 rds a month in pistol ammo just for myself. My go to CCW pistols are as mentioned prior, a GLOCK 21-SF in .45acp and a GLOCK 29 10mm. I have been shooting a handgun ever since the mid-1960's.

Once you learn the proper why to shoot a handgun, grip, sight picture, stance, it is just like riding a bicycle you don't forget and one model to another is perhaps a little different by not so much, that you can get things rolling along with just a little effort.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
When it comes to multiple guns for carry, my solution was to stick to one manual of arms. For me it is the DA/SA  SIG Sauer line, SP2340, P225 and P239. They are similar sized pistols with exactly the same lay out of controls, and functions. They are enough different in chambering and capacity to carry differently though. Go with Glock and you can get vastly different size, capacity and calibre combinations without needing to learn more than one manual of arms.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
I alternat each on a regular basis both at the range and in the car/on me.
It is just a matter of the safety.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
My personal cary gun is dictated more by what's laying on my desk when I leave the house, than by caliber or bullet shape. Mostly, it's a Taurus UltraLite in 38 special, but sometimes it's a SAA birdshead grip in 45 Colt, and sometimes a Ruger Bearcat in 22LR, depending on what's laying on top at the time, and how I'm dressed that day. The Caliber or kind of pistol carried is not important to me, anything I've got will do the job, if needed.

The old saying,"Ther are no dangerous wepons, only dangerous people", has more truth than any other saying about carry guns. A 22lr in the hands of a person willing and skilled in it's use, is way better than a 45acp in the hands of a person that will hesitate to use it when needed. A baseball bat in the hands of a person that will use it when needed and react instantly to danger, is much better than a 44 mag in the hands of a person that will hesitate to use it when needed.

If you develope the mindset necessary to take a human life to defend yourself, or another, the caliber of the gun you have will not be much of an issue. The mind is your greatest wepon.

Use it.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 01:58:25 AM »
Greenriver makes an important point in this discussion.
I have read stories/history of folks in battle picking up whatever was handy during a fight to defend/continue the fight, after their issue weapon went down from either malfunction or running out of ammo. In Nam it was quite common to pick up an AK. Some even sought them out and humped them.
The point is, it is not the weapon that is the magic---it is the desire/will to continue and not give up. It is the person behind the trigger that is the determining factor in a fight. The japanese of WWII had it almost correct--it was the spirit of the combatant which carries the day.
Now this is only true to a certain limit. There are good rounds and better rounds.
It depend on the job to be performed---and it can be performed with whatever is handy. The platform can be overcome.
Don't get fixated that there is a magic bullet.
If there is a magic bullet in self-defense it comes closer to being a .45.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2009, 02:25:25 AM »
I always carry a J frame in the same place no matter what else i carry . I would change from time to time until one dark night i had an auto in a shoulder rig under my coat and the J frame was home . We had had people comming onto our land in the middle of the night causing trouble . So i get up and go to see what is setting off motion alarm up the driveway . No flash light to give away the fact I am out looking . Well this deer jumps up 10 feet from me and i go for the J frame . Had it been a bad guy he would have won . So if you want advice carry the same way every time you can and same type gun if possible . Its the same thing as forgeting to pump a pump shotgun . We all forget from time to time .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2009, 02:43:07 AM »
The point Shootall brings up is important, we respond with muscle memory before we think.  As he stated, practice with the same carry and practice, practice, practice until it is automatic.  I used to have a customer we called Dr. Doubletap.  He really was a Dr;  but the only practice he did was double taps on a narrow cardboard 3', 7' and 10 ' from him.  He would draw, double tap and repeat.  After a box of ammo he would pack up and go home.  Never deviated from that routine.  I have no doubt of the outcome if, God forbid, he ever is confronted by a perp.  8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2009, 04:49:19 AM »
SHOOTALL and rawhidekid are both right, and I have for the last year or so given this much thought, as some here know. Since the beginning of this thread I have recently made the commitment, and went all Smith revolver, and in 357 magnum. The 125 grain jacketed hollow point lacks NOTHING in stopping power, and has the decades of police credentials to prove it. It is now my one and only loading in two revolvers. A much loved Model 60, and a new Smith 686 2 1/2", that both sport my own action jobs.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »
SHOOTALL and rawhidekid are both right, and I have for the last year or so given this much thought, as some here know. Since the beginning of this thread I have recently made the commitment, and went all Smith revolver, and in 357 magnum. The 125 grain jacketed hollow point lacks NOTHING in stopping power, and has the decades of police credentials to prove it. It is now my one and only loading in two revolvers. A much loved Model 60, and a new Smith 686 2 1/2", that both sport my own action jobs.

I've always liked and carried a S&W M-19 loaded with 150 Sierra HC's.  I don't think they make this bullet any longer?  Anyway, I was once hired to clean out some dog packs for a city, and i found that when needed, that combo worked pretty good.

DM

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2009, 06:59:08 AM »
Dee is right. Commitment.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2009, 12:14:46 PM »
 i use my smith 60 also,,but im sure you shoot yours better than i with being an instructor an all..
 i guess this is all coincidence dee.. :) slim

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
With some one your size a S&W X frame would be concealable.   ;D

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
Duck I could probably hide a boxcar if I wasn't gettin lazy. When I was workin dope I carried a satin nickel Combat Commander in a shoulder holster and one in a pancake just like it. Deputies never could figure out why I wore an unlined windbreaker winter AND summer. A couple of bone crackers did though when they got me down, and were trying to get my pancake.
I've been hiding pistols for almost 40 years now. I'm more about convenience in my old age. I still want serious power but, I'm not apt to run into an all day fire fight. I like surprises, but I like to be the surprisER, rather than the surprisEE. Any fighting I do will be up close, and I never like the double tap. I want hammer not a tack driver, and the 357 mag is a hammer when it's loaded right.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett