Author Topic: 430 gr trueshot bullet  (Read 851 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
430 gr trueshot bullet
« on: August 21, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »
This is Oregon Trail's 45-70 Trueshot bullet it is a 430 gr gascheck.  I got a few of these to try out in my ruger #1.  I am really looking forward to loading for this rifle but finding the time right now is a little tight and have to get my 6mm-284 loaded as I have just finished testing for it and need to load up and sight in for deer season.

Since I am having to wait for results, I thought I would see what others results with this bullet have been.  I plan to use H-4198 and looking at the load data that should give about 1900 fps with a max load.  Possible applications for my load would be elk, black bear, hog, deer and if I get really lucky moose.

Good shooting to Ya',
MGM

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Re: 430 gr trueshot bullet
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »
Pressures climb quickly with either 4198.  I've used both in .45-70 and .458 for years but have found that overall Varget performs better in my .45-70's.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:24:43 AM »
I have heard good things about varget in 45-70 as well.  But will start with what I have on hand.  My other options will be H-4895, and possibly benchmark ( not sure if can use with this weight of bullet at these pressures).  I have load data for benchmark but only for 300gr bullets and when heavier bullets are used it is at trapdoor levels.  So have ruled it out for now.  I also have SR-4759 but it will not give the velocity I would like.  I have trail boss which I will use in this caliber but not with these bullets.  I will make up some plinking/small game loads with it and most likely a 300gr bullet ( or what ever I find a good deal on).

I have one vote against 4198.  I am leaning away form H4895 because of what I read in Pet Loads with inconsistencies and below average accuracy.  I have had similar problems with it making light loads for a military bolt action bench rest match I like to shoot in (however, it did do fine at full house loads), which is were the SR-4759 came in.  But I will try it if the H-4198 does not work.

As I was looking at data for Varget, I found what I may try if I do have to buy powder.  Ramshot X-Terminator gives far better velocity than anything else listed.  The starting load I have is 20 fps faster than the max I have for H-4198 and the its max is about 175 fps faster than H-4198  this data was all from the ruger #1 so should be somewhat comparable.

MGM

Thanks for the warning with H-4198, even thou I have it on it hand I have not worked with it yet.  However, I always work up slow probably slower than most as I always check several sources and find several max loads which reminds me every rifle is different.  My last testings with my 6mm-284 took me three range trips to get all my loads testing partly because I was going at 1/2 grain increments and partly because it was so hot and barrel cooling time was long.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »
You may want to concentrate on accuracy rather than top velocity.  With a 430-grain bullet, recoil in the No. 1 will probably be the limiting factor.  Too, that cast bullet may not be appropriate for velocities over 1700 fps if top accuracy is desired.  IME either 4198 powder will work fine if you don't try to reach within 100 fps of maximum velocities - which you don't need for any practical purpose.

I've used the .45-70 for over 35 years, killing everything from deer to brown bear, and killing power was never a limiting factor.  I never loaded to top velocities either, but still managed to put together a long string of one-shot kills.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »
You may want to concentrate on accuracy rather than top velocity.  With a 430-grain bullet, recoil in the No. 1 will probably be the limiting factor.  Too, that cast bullet may not be appropriate for velocities over 1700 fps if top accuracy is desired.  IME either 4198 powder will work fine if you don't try to reach within 100 fps of maximum velocities - which you don't need for any practical purpose.

I've used the .45-70 for over 35 years, killing everything from deer to brown bear, and killing power was never a limiting factor.  I never loaded to top velocities either, but still managed to put together a long string of one-shot kills.

I did not mention accuracy.  So I guess it does look like I am looking for top velocity.  Don't get me wrong when I test loads I am looking for the most accurate loads.  As far as practical goes, the impractical is kinda of what I am looking for,for no other reason than just for fun.  I do see your point and agree but impractical is a lot of fun too.  The 1700 fps, I will have to see what happens but the data supplied with the bullets runs between 1650-2050 fps,  The 30 cal bullet I have been using they say not to push over 1700 fps but it does not have the gas check.

I just check the email I had from them about the 30 cal bullets and they say it ok for higher velocities if I add the gas check.  These are the same alloy but the trueshot comes with the gas check already on.

You guys are giving me some good stuff to look in too.

The good news is I got the 6mm ready to go for hunting season so I can start playing with some 45-70 loads the next time I find time.

MGM

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:47:43 AM »
As far as practical goes, the impractical is kinda of what I am looking for,for no other reason than just for fun.  I do see your point and agree but impractical is a lot of fun too....

You're right, fun is the main reason many of us shoot.  I have loaded plenty of impractical combinations over the years 'just for the heck of it.'

Get back to us on how much 'fun' the 420s were at 2050 fps...... ;)